Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

5 hours ago, satalac said:

Well we should be a lock now. I mean the Oak Ridge Boys? THEY SANG ELVIRA. Shut the search down already.

I am told that some of my first words were "giddy up ooom papa mow mow"... so hey, I'm sold!

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

According to multiple sources, an Amazon group very recently came to Nashville; one source familiar with the meetings said they happened early last week. Among the contingent: Holly Sears Sullivan, Amazon's chief of economic development and a former economic development official in Rutherford and Wilson counties. 

The visit officially puts Nashville on the list of cities Amazon has visited so far. Details about Amazon's local visit were scarce, though the company's original request for proposals  lays out a broad roadmap for the topics likely scrutinized in the private meetings.

Through a spokeswoman, Nashville Mayor David Briley declined comment.

According to the Wall Street Journal, for each of the cities they have visited, "it has asked for breakout sessions on education and talent, plus visits to the sites it is considering, all within a strict time frame of two days, max."

In particular, Amazon is asking "probing questions" about how much talent it can attract to each city — and parsing educational data, such as the ACT and SAT scores of area high schoolers. "It also wants to come to a city prepared to handle the company’s growth and the influx of high-paid employees," the newspaper reported.

More behind NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/04/03/exclusive-amazon-scout-team-visits-nashville.html

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PHofKS said:

The Amazon team was in Atlanta yesterday. Maybe Nashville is their next stop. Keep eyes open for suspicious looking groups at River North or elsewhere.

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Scout team in the house.

See, see, see!!!! I told you so!!!!   :thumbsup:

• Like 1

River North - 105 acres

Trolley Barns - 9 Stories, 25 stories, 30 stories

Lifeway Campus (Nashville Yards/AEG Nashville Yards)  - 15 acres + 3.9 acres

5th & Broadway - 250,000 sq ft of office space

West End Summit - 1 million sq ft

Good lord I didn't realize River North was that large, I mean my god. Seems like is the site that would be most conducive to them doing whatever the hell they wanted with it. But with freedom comes all The additional construction and infrastructure costs. 

Wishful thinking site: PSC Metals - 40ish acres

They could have a nice chunk of land on the river and the could claim they cleaned up a site that has been contaminated for too long. Win for us, win for their green street cred.

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Why would ACT and SAT scores matter in a decision like this?  Wouldn't it be more important to look at the colleges and then also recent grads that are in the area? Nashville pulls from so many areas, so it isn't like the only talent they would have for jobs would be locals. Majority of the people I work with and know aren't from here anyways.

1 hour ago, bigeasy said:

Why would ACT and SAT scores matter in a decision like this?  Wouldn't it be more important to look at the colleges and then also recent grads that are in the area? Nashville pulls from so many areas, so it isn't like the only talent they would have for jobs would be locals. Majority of the people I work with and know aren't from here anyways.

If you're already collecting a thousand data points about a city, I guess you might as well collect a 1,001.   

The more local hires they can make over the next decade wherever HQ2 lands, the less culture-shock, Amazon backlash, and growing pains they'll have to deal with.  In addition to future potential local workforce and quality of area schools, they may even be using standardized test scores as a reflection of the intelligence of their parents and the region as a whole. 

• Like 2

I think the TENNESEAN site was once mentioned as a piece of a larger group of properties including the 5th+Broad and Nashville Yards. A separate trolley line was suggested as a way to tie them together.

Even if you added West End Summit to the mix, it still might barely reach half of the 100 acres required by Amazon.

Just throwing this out....Cornelia Forte Airport; 110+ acres. My suggestion, no inside information.

Admittedly one way in and out, but the commuter rail line is just across the river. Run a light rail line to downtown.

And bike, walk, shuttle and Uber access from lots of decent housing stock. I wouldn't turn 50,000 cars loose on those residential roads.

39435179390_7917f61a10_c.jpg