Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

[Editor’s Note: This story was previously published on Jan. 25, 2018. It has since been updated and republished.]

I wonder what they updated and changed? 

That I did not know though, good job Nashville.

"Nashville is staying out of the financial bribery game to sway Amazon, and like Toronto, that ultimately will work against it."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

[Editor’s Note: This story was previously published on Jan. 25, 2018. It has since been updated and republished.]

I wonder what they updated and changed? 

That I did not know though, good job Nashville.

"Nashville is staying out of the financial bribery game to sway Amazon, and like Toronto, that ultimately will work against it."

I wonder how much of that is us drawing an line in the sand on principal or us saying we would if we could but we can't afford to right now.

23 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

In a national, long-term study, researchers at Harvard found commute times were a crucial predictor of upward social mobility: families living in areas with shorter average commute times had a better chance of moving up the economic ladder than those living in areas with longer average commute times."

Of course no where in the article does it cite the need for a 'cadillac' solution. Existing bus service seems the most cost effective answer.  In fact wasn't the (failed) AMP, BRT, and light rail plan designed to change the stigma pf mass transit to convert the 'non-poor' into passengers?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(I hate it when the system merges disparate posts)

I find this hard to believe....I am pretty sure TN is offering a very generous incentive package."

Cities That Don’t Stand a Chance Winning Amazon HQ2: Nashville, Tennessee

Like Toronto, Nashville is staying out of the financial bribery game to sway Amazon, and like Toronto, that ultimately will work against it."

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

We could get another short list ahead of Amazon selecting a location for its second headquarters. According to the NY Times, there is “widespread speculation” Amazon  could cut down its 20-city short list for its second headquarters as soon as this month. The company would then ask for “best-and-final offers” from the remaining cities, according to the report.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/08/07/will-cities-get-another-hq2-short-list-from-amazon.html

26 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

It’s be a win for Nashville to be on that short list. 

After the article that suggested Nashville was way behind other cities when it came to incentives, followed by newer articles calling Amazon incentive obsessed, I'm pretty skeptical of us making another cut at this point unless they are just wildly in love with the city and want to give us another chance for a better incentive package.

Edited by DDIG
  • Like 1

Interesting build in ATL for Amazon...

Project Rocket

Speculation has focused on e-commerce giant Amazon, which has purportedly been searching for a site to build a new Atlanta-area fulfillment center. Such facilities are where workers pack and ship customer orders. 

Atlanta is also among 20 cities named earlier this year to the “short list” for Amazon’s much-sought-after second headquarters, though a new fulfillment center may not provide indication one way or another regarding that competition.

Because of the project’s size, it had to seek approval from the state through the Development of Regional Impact process. Warbington said the Atlanta Regional Commission and the Georgia Road and Tollway Authority approved the project through that process — as long as about $15 million of proposed “transportation improvements” are completed.

If Atlanta is the destination, I can say I called it.

On 8/7/2018 at 10:29 AM, Binbin98 said:

Why can’t they just pick a place to move already

Agree. Obviously I know nothing about running a massive company, but this whole thing has been pretty dramatic.

Considering what's at stake for a city if it is selected by Amazon, the suspense is warranted. 

Hurry up Amazon :tw_lol:

• Like 1

Another comment on the AmazonHQ2 recruitment. 

I noticed on another forum, Atlanta folks are all but guaranteeing AHQ2 is coming to Atlanta because multi-billionaire Carl Icahn bought the Atlanta AT&T Building in a prime area or something, something. Then it dawned on me that Icahn did something even bigger in June with 35 acres of property he owns directly across the river from downtown Nashville where PSC Metals (scrap yard) is located. He bought the industry located on his property so he now has full control over it.  So I go....hmmm.

In June Mayor Briley tweeted about making the site a priority for relocation of the PSCM business and prepping it for redevelopment. Mayor's Tweet...

43264477454_1526dce47a_z.jpg

I know we had a long discussion on the possibility that the site could be a major brownfield, but that didn't deter the Mayor from encouraging a City initiative in making this site more suited towards some purpose. I'm sure somebody has checked into this and with Icahn buying the scrap yard that sits on his land and the Mayor making a statement during the AHQ2 rush, I'm thinking maybe there is some remote possibility that plan was strongly considered or offered.

I'm not saying we will get the HQ2. I certainly don't have any inside knowledge, although bloggers from every other candidate city is claiming they are getting it because yada, yada, yada. But we still have a one in twenty shot at it until we hear otherwise from Amazon..

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PHofKS said:

Another comment on the AmazonHQ2 recruitment. 

I noticed on another forum, Atlanta folks are all but guaranteeing AHQ2 is coming to Atlanta because multi-billionaire Carl Icahn bought the Atlanta AT&T Building in a prime area or something, something. Then it dawned on me that Icahn did something even bigger in June with 35 acres of property he owns directly across the river from downtown Nashville where PSC Metals (scrap yard) is located. He bought the industry located on his property so he now has full control over it.  So I go....hmmm.

In June Mayor Briley tweeted about making the site a priority for relocation of the PSCM business and prepping it for redevelopment. Mayor's Tweet...

43264477454_1526dce47a_z.jpg

I know we had a long discussion on the possibility that the site could be a major brownfield, but that didn't deter the Mayor from encouraging a City initiative in making this site more suited towards some purpose. I'm sure somebody has checked into this and with Icahn buying the scrap yard that sits on his land and the Mayor making a statement during the AHQ2 rush, I'm thinking maybe there is some remote possibility that plan was strongly considered or offered.

I'm not saying we will get the HQ2. I certainly don't have any inside knowledge, although bloggers from every other candidate city is claiming they are getting it because yada, yada, yada. But we still have a one in twenty shot at it until we hear otherwise from Amazon..

Just to clarify, Icahn already owned the AT&T building in Atlanta before the Amazon hoopla started. The rumor going around now is that Amazon has signed a long-term lease for it as AT&T is completely vacating the building, but I'm not sure how true that is (nor am I sure if this rumored lease is related at all to HQ2).

In any event, I suspect we'll get a new short list before Labor Day, likely the 3rd full week of this month (since that seems to be when Amazon wants to provide any updates as of late).

Edited by urbanplanet17

• 1 month later...