Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

1 hour ago, urbanplanet17 said:

You wouldn't be saying that if Amazon selected Nashville for HQ2. :whistling:

I'm not convinced our city would be able to take on HQ2 with any kind of grace. There are levels to this corporate relocation game, and we're just not there yet. YET.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

I  don’t want it because I think it’ll be culturally destructive to Nashville, just like it’s been to Seattle. I mean, yeah you get big buildings and more airport activity, but at what cost?

On one hand I agree with you, but if we had one Alliance Bernstein size relocation announcement each month over the next four years--I'd be celebrating every one of them, and the ultimate effect would be pretty similar to HQ2's potential impact.  In some ways, I'd prefer the monolithic HQ2 because it would allow for more centralized planning of the growth.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2018 at 9:55 PM, Pdt2f said:

Plus the whole game-show quality Amazachelorette search is a terrible precedent. 

Well I disagree. It is both a PR and monetary windfall for both Amazon and the eventual city selected.

This is an NFL relocation x 50. The stature of any city who lands this leviathan is instantly raised (some like Nashville exponentially). Other industries and especially HQs will follow the path blazed by AmazonHQ2.

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, FromParkAveToTN said:

I actually think that's a good location. They are close to the airport and can build more of a low to mid-rise campus HQ. Asurion in Nashville prefers the low rise, large footprint office by putting over 500,000 sf of office space in a nine story building. There is probably plenty of room to grow a city with adequate affordable housing, hotels, and other amenities.

I might think Amazon would not be enthused about building another tall cluster in the middle of a city as they have in Seattle.

And if Nashville is in play, I doubt AHQ2 would want to locate in the suburbs as any incentives the city might provide would no longer be in play. I can't imagine Franklin or Mt. Juliet providing much help. Plus you are further from the airport, which I think is very important.

4 hours ago, titanhog said:

^^Ok...not to further take us off topic...but could you imagine if all of the buildings downtown had LED lighting that made each one look like a bar of sound, as above...then at night, they were all coordinated together to look like music was playing...with each bar (building) jumping up and down?  Would be the coolest, most appropriate, light show on earth!

I love how you're thinking, Raglander!!!

As we get more buildings with LED lights, it will become easier to get this done.  Can't wait to see it!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PHofKS said:

I would think that at this point in time Amazon has already made their choice, however, and is in final negotiations with a couple of prospects, probably in the D. C. area in my humble opinion. There doesn't seem to be any rational and reasonable hints of activity any where else.

...or it could be Raleigh!!?? Who knows.

Signing off now! As far as this subject is concerned.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have known which city they wanted throughout this whole process. This was just a great way for them to get additional incentives, free marketing, etc.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 10:32 PM, titanhog said:

Was any reason for this reported?  Anyone care to guess what, if anything, this means about the AMZN HQ2 sweepstakes w.r.t. Nashville's chances.