Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bobliocatt

Old Springfield hospitol being torn down

What's the street address? I thought I was fairly familiar with Springfield, but I can't recall ever seeing that building. Maybe it's outside the historic district? I can't imagine a building of that size inside the district being demolished without a HUGE ordeal.

I have never seen that either. It must be out of the district. It is a shame it is being torn down though. Someone probably plans a used car lot there or parking lot. Typical.

Its a part of the Shands Hospital complex, just west of Hogans Creek and south of 8th St., or right across the street from the official historic district. I noticed the building a couple of months ago, but I was shocked to see that it was being demolished, without hearing a thing about, considering the size.

If this is indeed part of the Shands complex, I believe a VA Clinic is being built on this site as well as a parking deck.

-J

Does anyone know what's replacing this old hospital building in Springfield?

--images snipped--

Technically, that building lay just outside the Springfield Historic District in Durkeeville. Terribly unfortunate for the building and the general aesthetic of the area; IMHO, there are far better candidates for demolition in that complex.