Charlotte Parks - the big picture...

Scribe

That comes to 10+ units per acre and Dilworth has areas that are R6= 6 units per acre. In other words, take classic Dilworth, put an accessory dwelling in your garage or rear yard and you have more density than Brookhill.

Edit: that is not going to happen at Brookhill (or Dilworth.) Simply a comparison to understand the disintensity (word?) of that property.

Edited by tarhoosier

59 minutes ago, t_money said:

Tell me more about Kings college being sold...

I have no information, other than I spotted a deed from King's to Zalecki Family Limited Partnership that was recorded back in January.  Last time I walked by, there was a sign in front of one of the buildings on Lamar Av that advertised office space for rent.   

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'd close that golf course and incorporate it. I've thought about this idea a few times. Maybe even here, but definitely on twitter. I think there's a real opportunity. 

I also thought of that, but I'm *just* conservative enough in nature--not in political terms, but in always looking to preserve what's existing if possible--that I deferred to maintaining the course. It's only a 9 hole course, so don't know how much it's utilized, and what the demographics of its users are.  I'm not a golfer myself, but I don't think one should have to have a membership in a private club to be able to play golf, or any game, and so in principle I support a public course. The city/county does own several other 18- and 9 hole courses, though, so eliminating this course wouldn't deprive anyone of public golf access.

So, for me it comes down to user data. If they show significant under-utilization, I would easily support turning it into general parkland.

I'm all about short-, mid- and long term plans for any project or endeavor, so I think the future of the Dr. Charles L. Sifford* Course at Revolution Park could be decided at a later phase of the greater park. Keeping it wouldn't have any effect on starting and completing development of the eastern (new) portions, nor connecting east and west along the Griffith route. 

If the golf course were at some point decommissioned, then a pedestrian and bike-only bridge should be constructed directly connecting what's now Southside Park and the course, midway between the Remount and (envisioned) Griffith car/pedestrian/bike bridges.

*I didn't realize that the first professional, or at least to play in a PGA tournament, African American golfer was from Charlotte (originally), the aforesaid Charles Sifford. He left Charlotte at 17, though. If the course were eliminated, there would obviously have to be plans to create a new memorial for him. 

• Like 2

On 11/14/2019 at 10:59 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'd close that golf course and incorporate it. I've thought about this idea a few times. Maybe even here, but definitely on twitter. I think there's a real opportunity. 

Definitely incorporate the golf course.  And speaking of incorporating a golf course into an urban park, I don't know why the Charlotte Agenda neglected to mention Balboa Park here in San Diego.  Balboa Park includes a golf course, as well as museums, the famous San Diego Zoo, an indoor theater, a couple outdoor amphitheaters, gardens, trails, grounds for volleyball and other recreational sports, and more.  It's the biggest urban park in the country (1200 acres versus Central Park's 840 acres).  We also have Mission Trails Regional park which, even though it's inside the city limits, I don't consider the same thing as an "urban" park as it's mainly for hiking (there are mountains inside the park) and nature exploration, sort of along the lines of Crowder's Mountain State Park.  In fact, it's roughly the same size as Crowder's Mountain State Park -- 5800 acres at MTRP vs. 5,210 acres at CMSP.  The main difference is MTRP is actually inside the city limits, so extremely accessible to those of us here in the city (about 15 minutes by car from my house), which is an amazing thing.  I wish Charlotte, before it's too late, would grab some large acreage along the Catawba River (or by one of the lakes) for a similar park for hiking.

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

I wish Charlotte, before it's too late, would grab some large acreage along the Catawba River (or by one of the lakes) for a similar park for hiking.

Besides advocacy for dedicating serious portions of any redeveloped public land to parks, I think a simple and straightforward solution is for the city and county to take any and every opportunity (with reasonable cost) to expand existing parks. Every quarter acre counts. I also think this is where--and I know they are--local land conservancy groups can make a big difference. So much of what's under conservation easements are denoted on maps, because they're not official parks. 

Along the Catawba, so much riverfront was gobbled up years ago for individual house lots, the River District has seized the last remaining sizable waterfront land. I can't recall whether the River District plans have an impressive central park or not, just lots of greenways and park spaces... But accounting for some River District park space, there will be at least four moderate-sized parks up and down the river west of the city (south of 85), and if concerted efforts are made to expand each, and greenways connecting them if possible, it could become a halfway decent park network. I know the county has expanded McDowell a few times, and it's a pretty good size, and then at the north end there's Berryhill Nature Preserve, an o.k. size, so with those two bracketing the south and north,  Winget Park, which nearly adjoins a cove (and could hopefully be expanded to it) where Neal Branch enters the river,  and the future River District parks in between provide regular intervals of park space--but their current acreage should continue to be expanded.  

Speaking of Crowder's Mountain, although Google Maps doesn't show it, both North Carolina and South Carolina have done a great coordinated job in acquiring additional land for both, and they are actually truly (significantly) contiguous, with plans to still acquire more land. I know they're 20 miles west of the city, but in the ideal future, hopefully new rail (of whatever sort) into Gaston will make that 20 miles less of an impediment. Hopefully. In the Future.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 9:09 AM, KJHburg said:

In a rapid developing county like Mecklenburg this is important as reported by the Charlotte Ledger this morning:

""Big park purchase: 100 more acres for Reedy Creek Nature Preserve
In one of its biggest recent purchases for parks, Mecklenburg County has bought 100 acres for an addition to Reedy Creek Nature Preserve.

The 100-acre parcel is located near the intersection of East W.T. Harris Boulevard and The Plaza — sort of between east Charlotte and University City. It’s behind Northridge Middle School and CPCC’s Cato Campus. The county bought the land from Cox Media Group, owner of WSOC-TV. Satellite images seem to show a large antenna and a few buildings on the property.

The county’s plan is to keep the land, which is mostly mature hardwood forest, as primarily undeveloped — no parking lots or ballfields, for example. But the purchase will help in the development of the Reedy Creek Greenway, a 2-mile trail that is in the design phase.

“It’s primarily a natural resource acquisition,” says Bert Lynn, the director of the county’s Park and Recreation Department’s capital planning division. As far as park land purchases go, this is a big one, Lynn told The Ledger. By his calculations, the county averaged about 300 acres a year for the last five or six years.

National rankings often place Mecklenburg County low for its amount of green space and parks. Residents also sometimes complain that developers are gobbling up all the land and clearcutting trees to accommodate the city’s rapid growth. —TM""

There is a parking lot just near that land that probably would need to be expanded. Could basically do a new loop over there and hopefully connect to the Big Oak trail.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reedy Creek Park is really something very special, IMO.  Parks are great, but nature preserves that incorporate active recreation are really the holy grail.  Wish there was a way to incorporate more of these everywhere in the city.  Individual tree plantings are nice, but reforested plots and thickets are even richer, and their canopies are self-sustaining..

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2