Charlotte Parks - the big picture...

Scribe

In the study that mentions a low score and access for parks  for Charlotte do they count these greenways?  The reason I ask is that the Clark Creek Greenway in the University area is heavily used has 9 connections to neighborhoods in under 2 miles and is within walking distance of all those neighborhoods?  Our greenways are linear parks that offer passive use like walking, jogging, bike riding etc.  Not to mention their natural preservation aspects. I wonder if they do count them as Raleigh is not as high on the park list either yet has one a much bigger greenway system than we do.  If anyone knows if they only include parks but not greenways I declare this study as bunk.  These natural buffers preserve our tree cover and provide habitats for birds and small animals.  In looking at property ownership you will not believe how much land Meck County owns around these greenways acres and acres. 

Here is an example of community neighborhood park maintained by HOA of Winchester.  Plus most of the adjoining neighborhoods have such facilities too.  I know they do not count these areas but what about our greenways?   I am sure if asked people on this greenway today if they felt they had access to parks they would say yes and cite these greenways. 

that all being said yes we need more parks but we need more greenways as well. 

IMG_4885.JPG

IMG_4895.JPG

IMG_4896.JPG

IMG_4912.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, UPEnergy said:

About 5 minutes from my home - will be at the opening this Saturday!

check in out and post some photos you will  beat me up there but I will be coming on the next not blazing hot day. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

this is part of the Big picture of Charlotte parks.  There is a new 606 acre park on Lake Norman opening this weekend in Catawba County in Sherrills Ford area.  Why is this important?  there are only a few public access points on Lake Norman the largest lake in the state.  

Notice the Catawba Lands Conservancy is a part of this.

https://www.catawbacountync.gov/county-services/parks/mountain-creek-park/

master plan https://www.catawbacountync.gov/site/assets/files/8003/overall_development.pdf

will have 19  miles of trails at completion

I will check this out soon you better believe me.   Then a bit to eat in either Denver of the East or Mooresville. 

Why is it called Mountain Creek Park?  Is there a mountain there?  Or a creek?

Went to 2 parks I have been to before for short walks (in this heat I can do my normal longer walks)  both in Cabarrus County.

One the Rob Wallace Park which was a quarry in the 1950s and the county bought it and there is a .75 mile walk around the old pit that is 70 feet deep now a lake.  This park is in Midland 

Also over to Pharr Mill Park along the Rocky River and discovered this historical site I had not seen before.  This park is in Harrisburg. 

Sunshine low humidity moderate temps walk a greenway or visit a local park this weekend.   

For those looking in Meck County here are your greenways.   KJ recommends Little Sugar Creek from south of I-485 to Polk birthplace state historical site.   Also Four Mile Creek from Piper Glen shopping center over to Johnston Rd and see some of the biggest wetlands in Meck.  Intown greenways I recommend Irwin Creek by the Golf course off Barringer Drive look for the beaver pond.  Northeast University  Meck peoples love the Toby Creek Greenway though UNCC campus all the way up to Rocky River Rd.   Davidson Cornelius peeps  the West Branch of Rocky River in Davidson the only greenway I have been on where you see no houses! 

https://www.mecknc.gov/ParkandRec/Parks/SiteAssets/Pages/default/Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation Greenways Map Aug. 2021.pdf

a staycation in your own county! 

IMG_6512.JPG

IMG_6513.JPG

IMG_6515.JPG

IMG_6516.JPG

IMG_6517.JPG

IMG_6520.JPG

IMG_6521.JPG

IMG_6522.JPG

IMG_6523.JPG

IMG_6524.JPG

IMG_6525.JPG

IMG_6526.JPG

IMG_6527.JPG

IMG_6528.JPG

IMG_6529.JPG

IMG_6530.JPG

IMG_6531.JPG

IMG_6536.JPG

IMG_6538.JPG

IMG_6540.JPG

IMG_6541.JPG

IMG_6542.JPG

IMG_6543.JPG

IMG_6544.JPG

IMG_6545.JPG

IMG_6546.JPG

IMG_6547.JPG

IMG_6548.JPG

IMG_6549.JPG

IMG_6550.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

State parks are popular in the region and we have 3:  Crowders Mountain the most popular in Gaston County, Lake Norman State Park up in Iredell and of course Morrow Mountain to the east in Stanly County.  I like Morrow Mountain the best I think since they have great hiking trails and lake river access. 

I have now been to 31 state parks across the state with just a few more to explore.    This year check out some new state parks you have not seen and unlike our neighboring states all are free but just a few.  

My 30th and 31st parks were Weymouth Woods in Moore County home of the tall longleaf pines and the newly opened Carvers Creek SP in Cumberland County near Fayetteville winter home of one of the Rockefellers who founded Citibank.   Oh yeah that huge live oak at Carvers Creek the Rockefellers had it transplanted over 100 years ago from Georgia and brought up to Cumberland County.    Don't want to get the whole tree controversy started again but as much as I like the built environment and high rises nothing holds a candle to large tree of any kind.  We need MORE trees in Charlotte and yes that includes uptown. 

Check out the pine bark on that Longleaf pine only a few pieces and you could fill a bed. 

Other great parks in the region would be South Moutains in Catawba County and Lake James in Burke County.

My personal top 5 favorites:  Mt Mitchell, Jockeys Ridge, Merchants Millpond,  Pilot Mtn and Mt Jefferson.  

IMG_8474 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8475 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8478.JPG

IMG_8479.JPG

IMG_8484.JPG

IMG_8485.JPG

IMG_8486.JPG

IMG_8521.JPG

IMG_8523.JPG

IMG_8527.JPG

IMG_8530.JPG

IMG_8531.JPG

IMG_8532.JPG

IMG_8534.JPG

IMG_8536.JPG

IMG_8538.JPG

IMG_8543.JPG

IMG_8547.JPG

IMG_8549.JPG

IMG_8551.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Local Mecklenburg county town park.  Mint Hill Veterans Memorial Park which has a little bit of everything.  Walking trails,  disc golf, war memorial, soccer fields, playground etc.  

This is the NC Korean War Monument 

Beautiful Camellias the winter southern flower.  And those Girl Scout motivation sayings. 

I-485 and NC 218. 

IMG_7338.JPG

IMG_7339.JPG

IMG_7340.JPG

IMG_7341.JPG

IMG_7342.JPG

IMG_7343.JPG

IMG_7344.JPG

IMG_7345.JPG

IMG_7346.JPG

IMG_7347.JPG

IMG_7348.JPG

IMG_7349.JPG

IMG_7350.JPG

IMG_7351.JPG

IMG_7352.JPG

IMG_7353.JPG

IMG_7354.JPG

IMG_7355.JPG

IMG_7356.JPG

IMG_7357.JPG

IMG_7358.JPG

IMG_7359.JPG

• Like 3

Was down in the Lake Wylie Steele Creek area today and walked around Copperhead Island and other parts of McDowell Park which is over 1100 acres.  Thankful for this part as it surely would have been a massive subdivision on the lake by now if not county owned.   Plus they are restoring a Piedmont prairie like they have done in Cabarrus County too. 

https://www.mecknc.gov/ParkandRec/StewardshipServices/NatureCenters/Pages/McDowell.aspx

Nice trails and here is my advice walk around Copperhead Island on the paved trail you can not get lost!  Attention parks and rec dept.  please clear the fallen tree on the boardwalk on the left side of the island when coming across the land bridge.  I had to crawl under the tree! 

Evidently you can rent Copperhead Island for a fee!  Crowdsoure and we can rent for an UP picnic!  Or we can just to got Papa Docs on the lake on the SC side.   Saw no copperheads today on the island. 

despite what some national rankings say Charlotte Mecklenburg has  some great parks and many large ones which is nice.  

IMG_7405.JPG

IMG_7406.JPG

IMG_7408.JPG

IMG_7409.JPG

IMG_7410.JPG

IMG_7411.JPG

IMG_7412.JPG

IMG_7413.JPG

IMG_7414.JPG

IMG_7415.JPG

IMG_7416.JPG

IMG_7417.JPG

IMG_7418.JPG

IMG_7419.JPG

IMG_7420.JPG

IMG_7421.JPG

IMG_7423.JPG

IMG_7425.JPG

IMG_7426.JPG

IMG_7427.JPG

IMG_7428.JPG

IMG_7430.JPG

IMG_7431.JPG

IMG_7433.JPG

IMG_7434.JPG

IMG_7435.JPG

IMG_7436.JPG

IMG_7437.JPG

IMG_7438.JPG

IMG_7439.JPG

IMG_7440.JPG

IMG_7441.JPG

IMG_7442.JPG

IMG_7443.JPG

IMG_7444.JPG

IMG_7445.JPG

IMG_7447.JPG

IMG_7448.JPG

IMG_7449.JPG

IMG_7450.JPG

IMG_7451.JPG

IMG_7452.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

this is a great park and close to you who live in town.  Reedy Creek Park is over 900 acres and has 10 miles of trail.  Went by the old Robinson Rock house ruins and found a resident living there.  anyway great park and remember NC is the Great Trails state. 

https://www.mecknc.gov/ParkandRec/StewardshipServices/NatureCenters/Pages/Reedy.aspx

IMG_8034.JPG

IMG_8035.JPG

IMG_8036.JPG

IMG_8038.JPG

IMG_8039.JPG

IMG_8041.JPG

IMG_8042.JPG

IMG_8043.JPG

IMG_8044.JPG

IMG_8045.JPG

IMG_8046.JPG

IMG_8047.JPG

IMG_8048.JPG

IMG_8049.JPG

IMG_8050.JPG

IMG_8051.JPG

IMG_8052.JPG

IMG_8053.JPG

255341810_IMG_8054-Copy.JPG

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Major new park coming to Cabarrus County and the Mt Pleasant area.

""Cabarrus County purchased the land for approximately $3.5 million from the Conservation Fund, an environmental nonprofit, in 2020.

The property, located off Highway 49 in Mt. Pleasant, contains several unique habitats: dry oak-hickory forests, pine forests and upland mountain depressions (like a swamp on top of a mountain).

The community weighed in on the project during a public input meeting back in February. Officials will continue refining the plan, with more presentations and input sessions in the works. 

Plan includes:

🌳 More than nine miles of hiking/walking paths, including a roughly three-mile gravel multiuse trail that connects to the Carolina Thread Trail and four miles of narrow trails

🌳 A nature center facility, located at the main entrance to the park along St. Stephens

🌳 Nature-themed playground and picnic shelters""

here is the master plan

0b4a6874-007f-4866-89e0-228a5e4fda36.pdf (constantcontact.com)

So awesome to see the wetland restoration! There is hope. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KJHburg said:

NC budget includes millions for open space preservation and conservation  across the state.

Conservation Wins Big in 2023 Budget - Land for Tomorrow (land4tomorrow.org)

I'm not seeing any money for purchasing and protecting more land,  On the surface it sounds great, but this quote bothers me: "“In particular, this budget will help keep many acres of working lands in production by offering additional funding for our state’s farmers, ranchers, foresters, and others who are stewarding their lands for the good of us all.”..