Canvas (BB&T building/lot redevelopment)

gman430

The building permit already issued to BB&T  must be for replacement facility for the Drive-thru/ATM that is on the sold property. 

I would prefer offices remained in the existing building but residential will do fine.  I sure hope the exterior will look a lot different than it does now.

The grocer sounds great but given the size of the project (about 7 acres), it would be nice to get some additional retail or uses to go with this.  Of course just getting rid of a large surface parking lot is a big plus already.  Maybe this will spur something on the Woodside block between this project and Academy.  

I don't have problem with the idea I just hope it's well done. I don't care for the architecture of the beach company's other two projects, so I hope this one is better. I also hate to hear that we'll be losing 600 employees to the burbs, seems like DT has been hemorrhaging jobs the past couple years. Too bad the employees couldn't have rented other space DT or built new or in conjunction with another project.

I actually can see where more grocery will work. I really don't think we've seen even a tiny fraction of the impact of all the new residential opening up. It's going to completely change the city from a demographic standpoint. Now in terms of what Grocers will work that's a more interesting question. The only major ones not already there are Walmart, Ingles and Bi-Lo none of which anyone would get excited about of course.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Are there anybody besides The Usual Suspects of Fresh Market, Earth Fare and Whole Foods and Trader Joe's from that style of grocer that would be possibilities? Are there any Regional chains looking to expand or something like that?

14 hours ago, vicupstate said:

The building permit already issued to BB&T  must be for replacement facility for the Drive-thru/ATM that is on the sold property. 

I would prefer offices remained in the existing building but residential will do fine.  I sure hope the exterior will look a lot different than it does now.

The grocer sounds great but given the size of the project (about 7 acres), it would be nice to get some additional retail or uses to go with this.  Of course just getting rid of a large surface parking lot is a big plus already.  Maybe this will spur something on the Woodside block between this project and Academy.  

Looks like it regarding the ATM. Construction equipment on site. 

Some good news about this is that it will add to the tax base for the city, increase resident count, keep the office vacancy rate lower, and gets rid of a huge parking lot like you said.

Maybe and hopefully other retail is included. We'll find out once it goes out for city approval. 

Edited by gman430

5 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Do we need another grocery store downtown, even a smaller one?

I  really don't think so. Everyone wants a grocer to anchor their development,  Too much.

Give the other stores like Publix and the future Harris Teeter coming  DT a chance to do well.

We will see if they get a bite on a lease. They  couldn't get a replacement for the small N. Main BI-LO and now they don't need it with the HT coming down the street.

Edited by vistatiger

I've long wanted to see both of these sites redeveloped. I'm underwhelmed by what I've read thus far on the tower re-use. I'd like to see the entire triangle of land put to a better, more engaging use. The parking deck is horrendous. It will be interesting to see what sort of layout they propose for the other land. I'm not holding my breath.

If the city really wants to connect Heritage Green and Main Street, a strong mixed-use project would have been necessary for the triangular site to drive foot traffic and build up the area as a destination. Maybe we'll see that in another 20 years when the site needs some TLC and re-invention. Sigh.

34 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

I  really don't think so. Everyone wants a grocer to anchor their development,  Too much.

Give the other stores like Publix and the future Harris Teeter coming  DT a chance to do well.

We will see if they get a bite on a lease. They  couldn't get a replacement for the small N. Main BI-LO and now they don't need it with the HT coming down the street.

Publix has already succeeded and I think HT will do well also. That said I think the new grocer needs to be a niche or segment grocer.  Greenville city has been historical under-served IMO. The less than ideal Baby Bi-Lo was all there was for years.   Augusta Rd is only now getting what it clear could have supported for some time. 

Guys, if I'm not mistaken, this used to be the American Federal building back in the 90s. Anybody else remember their jingle set to Randy Newman's , "I'm Different?"

I'm different, and don't care who knows it

Somthin about me"s not the same, yeah

I'm different, and that's how it goes

Ain't gonna play no white sheep games

(Black sheep on skates)

I looked for that on YouTube but to no avail :P

On 9/11/2017 at 7:35 AM, NBNY2GRNVL said:

I actually can see where more grocery will work. I really don't think we've seen even a tiny fraction of the impact of all the new residential opening up. It's going to completely change the city from a demographic standpoint. Now in terms of what Grocers will work that's a more interesting question. The only major ones not already there are Walmart, Ingles and Bi-Lo none of which anyone would get excited about of course.

Are there anybody besides The Usual Suspects of Fresh Market, Earth Fare and Whole Foods and Trader Joe's from that style of grocer that would be possibilities? Are there any Regional chains looking to expand or something like that?

lidl and Aldi are the first that come to mind.  Those are the two I shop at most and would like to see near downtown.

Edited by btoy

6 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Guys, if I'm not mistaken, this used to be the American Federal building back in the 90s. Anybody else remember their jingle set to Randy Newman's , "I'm Different?"

I'm different, and don't care who knows it

Somthin about me"s not the same, yeah

I'm different, and that's how it goes

Ain't gonna play no white sheep games

(Black sheep on skates)

I looked for that on YouTube but to no avail :P

Not American Federal. It was First Federal. American Federal, which was Fidelity Federal up till ca 1980 or so, was the original tenant (or owner?) of the current Suntrust/Greenville HealthSystem building at at McBee and Spring.

But I do remember the black sheep commercial.

Incidentally, American Federal sponsored a pro tennis tourney at Greenville Country Club for a few years in the late 70's and early 80's. It was mostly up-and-comers and stars past their primes, but I did get to see Stan Smith play there when he was still pretty good. He had a really beautiful serve. Maybe he still does.

Edited by Exile

It would be nice to see a small Target there instead.  DT hasn't had a discount dept. store in years other than the fading Kmart on Church. It would be nice to have a place to buy household goods, tech items etc. There is going to be plenty of grocery options between the new Harris Teeter stores and the existing Publix.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, apaladin said:

The BBT building has virtually no windows. What they do have are hidden. Surely they will add windows, decks etc for apartments, but that sounds like a major job.

I've always thought it was an ugly building. Hopefully the developer can make it look more appealing. 

4 hours ago, Upstate Guy said:

Totally agree that a small target, even one with a grocery area would be good for downtown and the people who live there. 

The one going up on HIllsborough St. in Raleigh across form NC State is cool.  Something like that would be pretty nice.

6 hours ago, gman said:

I've always thought it was an ugly building. Hopefully the developer can make it look more appealing. 

Yeah--very ugly. First Federal built their branches with the same basic building-block concept (I have no idea what to call it). For example, the BBT branch next to BN on Haywood has been enlarged and given a more regular shape, but it originally was built for First Federal to resemble the building that's the subject of this thread.