gman430

Canvas (BB&T building/lot redevelopment)

I'm not sure about those murals shown, but I like the idea of murals that big.  I'd like to see some other designs and I hope it happens.

Agree with SVL. I think those are just placeholder images, and I would think whatever art they decide on would have to be approved separately. 

Certainly they have to do something to break up that massive wall of just brick you see coming into town on Pete Hollis.  I was hoping they could install some additional windows. 

That building is ugly IMO. Anything is going to be like putting lipstick on a pig.

The comments from the neighbors in that article are interesting especially the one about that spot being turned down by every  grocery brand.

23 hours ago, vistatiger said:

That building is ugly IMO. Anything is going to be like putting lipstick on a pig.

Here I am again, going against the grain  again :lol:... while this building is not beautiful, it think it looks WAY better than some of the new stuff going up. I LOVE the fact that's not just a 4 sided box, gives a little height to an area without much, and is just something different. Actually, other than the ground level stuff (and the murals) this doesn't look much different that what it is now. I think if they in put a different window pattern on the all brick sides, and put a gabled top of some kind, this could be an awesome looking building!

• Like 1

Murals look great and he will have plenty of 'canvas' to work with. 

One thing the Beach Company needs to do is replace the black windows on this building with either new windows and/or add some balconies.  i realize that would add to the cost and they are looking to be below the top of the market. On the other hand, they got the building pretty cheap to start with.  

There is a fence around this project (BB&T building). Has it been there for awhile or is something about to happen here?

1 hour ago, SVL said:

There is a fence around this project (BB&T building). Has it been there for awhile or is something about to happen here?

It’s been there for a while.

5 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Is this project dead? 

I have no inside info. but they got a required rezoning from City Council just a few weeks ago.   This is also The Beach Company, so no reason to think it is dead.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2018 at 3:53 PM, gman430 said:

Construction to start in early Spring 2019.

Any news on this?

On 3/26/2019 at 10:23 PM, gman430 said:

I haven’t heard anything. 

This must have construction issues that are being worked out...apparently taking longer than planned.

Edited by cabelagent

23 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Construction slated to start this week. 

On the new construction in the parking lto or the renovation to the old Bank HQ?  Or both?