Canvas (BB&T building/lot redevelopment)

gman430

6 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

I saw that this AM but it was too dark to get a good look. I assume their move will open up their space on Main Street? 

It would be so nice to get that parcel redeveloped. Their parking is incredibly unfortunate and sometimes dangerous. 

On 6/12/2019 at 10:35 AM, Den2Gvl said:

image.thumb.png.f6c740ff85f33eb741c2b3e4612ffbd1.png

I know renderings aren’t always the most reliable but this one shows quite a bit of setback from the roadway, enough for a sidewalk, trees and shrubbery. The current building runs right up to the sidewalk. Could this be a completely new building or perhaps they’re removing that front end of the current one? Or maybe even a narrowing of Buncombe St?

3B32AF2E-E0CB-4C57-A9D4-2888EA505B05.jpeg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vistatiger said:

LOL. Is that giant mural of what looks like a polo style shirt on a body supposed to be a hint of the tenant going there? 

No, I think that's just the style of the artist (Guido van Helton) that will be doing the mural. Here's one that he did in Jacksonville. 

Image result for giant mural silos

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skyliner said:

I really like the Cook's Station concept, but relocating from the West End (Main Street) to that location is a bit disappointing.  I really wish that area of downtown could be effectively connected to the heart of the city's pedestrian activity.

Agreed. It looks nice, but seems completely out of place for this spot. It is moving from a walkable to a drive up location, next to a main highway. :dunno: 

19 hours ago, vistatiger said:

LOL. Is that giant mural of what looks like a polo style shirt on a body supposed to be a hint of the tenant going there? 

Agreed.

A 1970s office building with a mural showing part of a person is just plain bad.

The developer needs to just strip off the exterior of the BB&T building and start over, at least with a new exterior.  That can be done to update buildings.  Maybe then it could get more than $21/sf in rent.

35 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Agreed. It looks nice, but seems completely out of place for this spot. It is moving from a walkable to a drive up location, next to a main highway. :dunno: 

There is a reason for the move. I doubt they do much walk up traffic business. 

1 hour ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Agreed.

A 1970s office building with a mural showing part of a person is just plain bad.

The developer needs to just strip off the exterior of the BB&T building and start over, at least with a new exterior.  That can be done to update buildings.  Maybe then it could get more than $21/sf in rent.

This has potential to be really cool as a part of place-making in relation to the art museum and cultural campus. I think apartments could have been successful, but  I’m sure more research was done than you probably believe. If they thought they could fill $35/SF at that location, you better believe that they would have done a more extensive renovation that would produce those kinds of rents. 

20 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

This has potential to be really cool as a part of place-making in relation to the art museum and cultural campus. I think apartments could have been successful, but  I’m sure more research was done than you probably believe. If they thought they could fill $35/SF at that location, you better believe that they would have done a more extensive renovation that would produce those kinds of rents. 

Fair point.  Maybe once the area picks up with more commercial and residential activity, the BB&T (or shall we call it Truist) building will be further improved. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...