Canvas (BB&T building/lot redevelopment)

gman430

45 minutes ago, Cityplanner said:

Back on topic, I still don't like the mural.  The BB&T building just needs a full exterior update to make it attractive.

That would be nice. It is an old building. I guess, at least they're building other things to enhance it. I also wish something could be done to improve the Landmark/Daniel building.

11 minutes ago, motonenterprises said:

That would be nice. It is an old building. I guess, at least they're building other things to enhance it. I also wish something could be done to improve the Landmark/Daniel building.

Agreed.  The Landmark/Daniel building is really ugly.  Surely the exterior cladding could be removed and replaced with a more attractive surface.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cityplanner said:

Agreed.  The Landmark/Daniel building is really ugly.  Surely the exterior cladding could be removed and replaced with a more attractive surface.

That would be nice to see. I wonder if there are any plans in the works? I mean, this is currently our tallest building. It really shouldn't look so outdated.

The talent of the artist doing the mural is exceptional....but as many have commented the building actually needed an architectural makeover. While the quality of the mural may be good, it is still ultimately lipstick on a pig. And also agreed on the Landmark building. 

This is my favorite "modern" building:

https://mmsmedia.vht.com/Media/Photography/DEGI/40140/641c1443-c6b2-4a2a-a71f-bd0b803dff55.jpg

Since the Daniel Building cannot really be transformed into a Neo-Classical building (which is my favorite style of architecture), or even something more traditional to match the traditional brick architecture that is prevalent downtown, it would be neat to have it transformed into a sleek, innovative building.  It certainly isn't now.  Something like the building in the attached photo would be great: the exterior is covered in different colors of glass.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LBT said:

The talent of the artist doing the mural is exceptional....but as many have commented the building actually needed an architectural makeover. While the quality of the mural may be good, it is still ultimately lipstick on a pig. And also agreed on the Landmark building. 

True.

6 minutes ago, Cityplanner said:

This is my favorite "modern" building:

https://mmsmedia.vht.com/Media/Photography/DEGI/40140/641c1443-c6b2-4a2a-a71f-bd0b803dff55.jpg

Since the Daniel Building cannot really be transformed into a Neo-Classical building (which is my favorite style of architecture), or even something more traditional to match the traditional brick architecture that is prevalent downtown, it would be neat to have it transformed into a sleek, innovative building.  It certainly isn't now.  Something like the building in the attached photo would be great: the exterior is covered in different colors of glass.

Wow! Would love to see it in glass like that.

2 hours ago, LBT said:

Disagree, I think the mural has a really cool vibe coming into Greenville from that direction, especially being an older building right across the street from the new "faux" mill building they are building as a mixed use space.  There is more than enough space in Greenville to build new, modern buildings, and the Landmark building should absolutely be updated, but some of the older mid-rise buildings I'm fine staying until the area around them is developed more.

I saw on the news that they are expecting the paint on this mural to last around 20 years or so.  That will give more than enough time for the area around it to develop with other mid-rise buildings in order to raze and rebuild a more modern building. 

Sure, taste is subjective and so I can certainly respect other people's preferences.

I just don't see any redeeming qualities in the BB&T building.  Was it innovative for the 1970s?  No.  Is it inherently beautiful?  No.  Would I want to live in it?  No. (I've lived in a converted office building, but it was neutral-to-attractive.)

Not that I'm looking for more government control over anything--I'm certainly not--but new construction in downtown Greenville is overall pretty nice looking, in part because buildings are often consistent in their style (lots of brick, semi-traditional).  I assume that the Design Review Board or whatever it's called gives input on new construction.  Perhaps if major renovations to buildings required their exteriors to be renovated to better match the rest of downtown, that would help. 

The Bank of America building across from First Pres also needs some exterior upgrades, while I'm on my soapbox.

But to each his (or her) own.

Edited by Cityplanner
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, apaladin said:

Right now I’m not feeling it. Great work but don’t get the message if there is one? 

The mural features a local subject, that will be revealed at some point. "The mural will explore connectivity, diversity and unity in Greenville, with the design referencing the history of desegregation in Greenville County schools." https://greenvillejournal.com/arts-culture/guido-van-helten-canvas-mural-greenville-sc/

"Here’s what we do know. We can expect a photorealistic mural of a Greenville resident to cover the façade of the eight-story building + that the design will reference the history of desegregation + integration of schools across the county and convey the impact one teacher can have across multiple generations. Work is just getting started on the mural + the Greenvillian’s identity will be revealed as the mural progresses. The mural is expected to be finished sometime this fall. You can read the mural project summary presentation here." https://gvltoday.6amcity.com/canvas-tower-mural-guido-van-helten/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cityplanner said:

Sure, taste is subjective and so I can certainly respect other people's preferences.

I just don't see any redeeming qualities in the BB&T building.  Was it innovative for the 1970s?  No.  Is it inherently beautiful?  No.  Would I want to live in it?  No. (I've lived in a converted office building, but it was neutral-to-attractive.)

Not that I'm looking for more government control over anything--I'm certainly not--but new construction in downtown Greenville is overall pretty nice looking, in part because buildings are often consistent in their style (lots of brick, semi-traditional).  I assume that the Design Review Board or whatever it's called gives input on new construction.  Perhaps if major renovations to buildings required their exteriors to be renovated to better match the rest of downtown, that would help. 

The Bank of America building across from First Pres also needs some exterior upgrades, while I'm on my soapbox.

It's no longer slated to be converted to residential. It will remain office space.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cityplanner said:

BOA building had renovations/upgrade several years ago...didn’t change exterior dramatically.

7 hours ago, cabelagent said:

BOA building had renovations/upgrade several years ago...didn’t change exterior dramatically.

i wonder how much re-cladding a 30 meter + building would cost. I can't recall having seen many, but the ones I can remember were part of a total gutting of the building. That of course means an empty building, for whatever reasons, and likely a bargain-basement sale of it. I don't see any other way to justify the likely astronomical costs.

Whenever I look at the Daniel/BBT/Windstream/Whatever-it-is-now building, I choose to look at the white marble. The concrete is pretty easy to ignore.

BOA isn't pretty; but it's not exactly ugly, either.

As for Canvas, well, you do what you can for it. A mural, apart from artistic merit, seems to be a good way to mute all the angles in that building.

2 minutes ago, Exile said:

i wonder how much re-cladding a 30 meter + building would cost. I can't recall having seen many, but the ones I can remember were part of a total gutting of the building. That of course means an empty building, for whatever reasons, and likely a bargain-basement sale of it. I don't see any other way to justify the likely astronomical costs.

Whenever I look at the Daniel/BBT/Windstream/Whatever-it-is-now building, I choose to look at the white marble. The concrete is pretty easy to ignore.

BOA isn't pretty; but it's not exactly ugly, either.

As for Canvas, well, you do what you can for it. A mural, apart from artistic merit, seems to be a good way to mute all the angles in that building.

Agreed; when I have seen 1950s/1960s office buildings re-covered in new exteriors, that’s done as part of a total renovation of the whole building.  NYC has a lot of buildings of that era in Midtown and so many of them are now shiny and gleaming, and indistinguishable from new buildings except for their low heights and square shapes.  I would expect total renovations to be necessary to remain Class A office space, so it’s a routine cost of doing business.

25 minutes ago, gman430 said:

I drove by this today and it is looking VERY impressive. The mural is much bigger than I was expecting. Very good detailing by the artist also: 

96ADE542-2541-4367-AF77-D132B6C622BC.jpeg

My wife and I drove by and this is very impressive. It makes you notice how large the BB&T building really was. Hope that area continues to densify.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...