The ATX

Austin Catalyst Project - Amazon HQ2 Option?

The ATX    541

This project first came to light in May, and would appear to be the perfect candidate for Austin's Amazon HQ2 bid.  It's on 79 acres just SE of Downtown and adjacent to the large U/C Oracle campus.  It's literally a second Downtown and would seem to fit with everything Amazon is looking for in their HQ2.  Room for 50K employees would not be a problem.  Keep in mind that these renderings are pre-Amazon, and more office space could be added.  Those buildings in the lower left corner of the first rendering are also part of this project.  These renderings are from a Vimeo promo video that I just stumbled upon.

SoIJHiJ.png

6CoI5wO.png

CaBhn9o.png

W05pOVP.png

0t1z5f6.png

Z9wCXaq.png

Vimeo video

The ATX    541

A developer bought up a lot of real estate next to this project and marketed it as a corporate campus.  Shortly after that, Oracle came calling for an Austin campus and bought that real estate as well as a neighboring apartment building.  This project is being marketed as a corporate campus as well, and now Amazon is looking for a major campus.  We can only hope this works out for Amazon.  But if it doesn't, this is still an amazing massive project.  Here are some more renderings from the Vimeo video linked to in the OP:  

sZkHx3P.png

4rltVdS.png

carolinaboy    88

When I read about the Amazon HQ2 I immediately thought Austin would be the perfect location. The only 2 drawbacks, looking from afar, is the lack of light rail in Austin (at least I don't think Austin has light rail) and I think Amazon is looking east coast. Dude, if Austin could get Amazon contingent upon building out a light rail system..........imagine the possibilities. TOD out the wazoo for sure. I'm rooting for Austin (and Norfolk/VA Beach of course :D)

The ATX    541
2 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

When I read about the Amazon HQ2 I immediately thought Austin would be the perfect location. The only 2 drawbacks, looking from afar, is the lack of light rail in Austin (at least I don't think Austin has light rail) and I think Amazon is looking east coast. Dude, if Austin could get Amazon contingent upon building out a light rail system..........imagine the possibilities. TOD out the wazoo for sure. I'm rooting for Austin (and Norfolk/VA Beach of course :D)

The DC Metro (NOVA) was my first thought about where HQ2 would go.  But Boston is looking more likely now.  I think the majority of Austin folks would probably not want it anyway.  But I'm not one of them. :) The anti-growth sentiment is strong here.