Recreational Marijuana

42 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

I think we can all agree that marijuana should NOT be Schedule 1.  This makes it (basically) impossible for anyone to research it, legally.

Someone mentioned tourism earlier, how great would it be if TN swooped in and was the first of the Southern states to legalize rec, and we become one of the mecca's for MJ?  Outside of the PNW, we would be one of the best places to grow the plant.  Think of all the cool strain names we could come up with.  Nashville could become and even greater tourist destination.

The pedal taverns would probably get even slower... so... there is that to consider...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

I stated my position on the subject, which I've held, btw, since before you were born. A little less anger, snark, smug superiority and snot might've yielded some augmented insight on this between us, but since you rolled out the old hackneyed talking points and shots (brainwashed by Fox News ? I don't watch Fox News, and again, I've held my same beliefs since before it was in existence), it's apparent that you're the one that doesn't want a productive conversation here.

First of all, I think you're misinterpreting my tone here. I'm not angry. I'll give you a touch of snark because you haven't really given anything for me to work with...there is some rolling of the eyes with you. Smug? No. If I thought you were willing to have an honest conversation with this, I would give you a fair shake. I'm not saying I'm definitely *right* about this. But you have a rigid opinion, and based on past dealings with you, I think it's kind of amusing that you would portray me as angry, snarky, and smug. You may not recognize it as so, but you have a track record of that.

As for the Fox News comment, if you do not watch Fox News, then I apologize. But that comment came because the story about Durango and the "homeless potheads" came from a Fox News story....so either some form of media you read or listen to picked up that story and ran with it. You just don't randomly single out Durango. 

And the amount of time you've held your beliefs is irrelevant. Is it a point of pride that you've held the same believes for more than 30 years? Because I change my beliefs any time my understanding of it changes. Holding the same exact belief for 3 decades tells me that you're closed-minded.

16 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

First of all, I think you're misinterpreting my tone here. I'm not angry. I'll give you a touch of snark because you haven't really given anything for me to work with...there is some rolling of the eyes with you. Smug? No. If I thought you were willing to have an honest conversation with this, I would give you a fair shake. I'm not saying I'm definitely *right* about this. But you have a rigid opinion, and based on past dealings with you, I think it's kind of amusing that you would portray me as angry, snarky, and smug. You may not recognize it as so, but you have a track record of that.

As for the Fox News comment, if you do not watch Fox News, then I apologize. But that comment came because the story about Durango and the "homeless potheads" came from a Fox News story....so either some form of media you read or listen to picked up that story and ran with it. You just don't randomly single out Durango. 

And the amount of time you've held your beliefs is irrelevant. Is it a point of pride that you've held the same believes for more than 30 years? Because I change my beliefs any time my understanding of it changes. Holding the same exact belief for 3 decades tells me that you're closed-minded.

Actually, holding those beliefs as I've had has been more than reinforced watching the cultural and moral decay in the years hence. Open-mindedness in praise and in defense of rot is no virtue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

Actually, holding those beliefs as I've had has been more than reinforced watching the cultural and moral decay in the years hence. Open-mindedness in praise and in defense of rot is no virtue.

What about marijuana for medical purposes, or to make that possible, removing it from the same list as cocaine or heroin at a federal level (and thus opening up states to do their own thing)? Can you at least agree that those are worth taking a look at?

7 hours ago, dmillsphoto said:

What about marijuana for medical purposes, or to make that possible, removing it from the same list as cocaine or heroin at a federal level (and thus opening up states to do their own thing)? Can you at least agree that those are worth taking a look at?

I understand there are methods used in order to extract supposed beneficial effects from it without resorting in a "high" (such as for those individuals who need it to increase their appetite while going through cancer treatments). That, obviously, would not be a problem supporting. Although I'm dubious about a blanket "medical purposes" excuse. A fella could have a hangnail in Colorado and ask Doc to write him up a script. Legit med excuse, yes, recreational: no.

1 hour ago, grilled_cheese said:

It will be great when we can fully fund TDOT, education, and empty out the corporate prisons once rec MJ is legalized in Tennessee.  It's not a question of if but when.

Freedom will reign supreme.

You confuse the concept of freedom with licentiousness, sir.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

It will be great when we can fully fund TDOT, education, and empty out the corporate prisons once rec MJ is legalized in Tennessee.  It's not a question of if but when.

Freedom will reign supreme.

I can't tell if your optimistic expectations about the profits that weed would bring are a joke or not. And dude, if you're going to invoke the supremacy of freedom, do it for a more worthy cause than flippin' weed. There are plenty of reasons to whip out the American flag, throw on some Lee Greenwood, and sing the anthem till your vocal chords burst, but this is a poor reason. It's just an issue about whether a drug is dangerous enough (medically or socially) to be decriminalized for recreational purposes, it's not a matter of capital-F "Freedom."

I'm completely in favor of medical decriminalization, as long as the laws governing it are taken seriously. California's medical marijuana industry was a joke. Everyone my stoner sister lived around in San Diego had a medical card, and not a single one of them had a legit reason for it. I'm indifferent to recreational legalization, so it's not that I'm mad that people smoke pot, I just think it's extremely immoral to use cancer patients and people with incurable diseases as sob stories to allow a loosening of restrictions, and then it gets abused by everyone who simply wanted it as a way to get easier weed. 

• Like 1

High Times reporting on a prediction from a financial firm that specializes in cannabis financing saying that all states will have medical or full rec mj by 2021.

http://hightimes.com/news/6-next-states-predicted-to-legalize-weed-by-2018/

It's coming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• smeagolsfree locked and unlocked this topic
  • 4 years later...
On 9/16/2017 at 8:41 AM, grilled_cheese said:

High Times reporting on a prediction from a financial firm that specializes in cannabis financing saying that all states will have medical or full rec mj by 2021.

http://hightimes.com/news/6-next-states-predicted-to-legalize-weed-by-2018/

It's coming.

aged like milk.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/10/2022 at 12:46 PM, samsonh said:

This bump is a fun reminder of fieldmarshaldj! He was a treat, very happy and well adjusted!

Man, that dude fieldmarshaldj hated freedom, didn't he?

On 9/15/2017 at 12:52 AM, Pdt2f said:

It's just an issue about whether a drug is dangerous enough (medically or socially) to be decriminalized for recreational purposes, it's not a matter of capital-F "Freedom."

Wrong!  Americans should have the freedom to practice their traditional medicine and engage in agricultural pursuits without harassment from the government.  That is the essence of freedom:  The ability to do something that doesn't affect other people, but that other people also don't want you to do because they don't like the fact that you are doing it.   All traditional medicine should be legal and totally unregulated, not to mention the abolishment of "patents" on medicines that merely represent government-sponsored monopolies.

On 9/15/2017 at 6:45 AM, grilled_cheese said:

Why do you two hate freedom?  It really doesn't matter what you think.  Recreational Marijuana is coming.  There is nothing you can do to stop it.

Some people just have an innate desire to control the actions of others... by force, if necessary.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think that cannabis should be legalized in more places because it's a great way to cope with stress and anxiety, and it has many health benefits. And I'd say that it should be legal to grow it as well because I discovered this article, and it turned out that in my place, it wasn't legal, but it's way less expensive.

Edited by MilkyF
  • Confused 1