Amazon HQ2

Popsickle

Yes the article says York County but given the sales tax legal fight right now with Amazon I would say they have a snowball's chance in hell.  They did it because they are apart of the regional econ dev organization.

we all know Amazon already has a short list and they are looking for the biggest incentive dollars on that list.  Which maybe Georgia and Atlanta. Triangle getting nothing for colleges and universities shows how stupid these articles are.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kermit said:

Its no less arbitrary than anything else out there but here is the CNBC ranking of competing cities:

image.thumb.png.d412fa3ad68635785d55d9290c43c19e.png

Pretty amusing all of these takes simply don't consider a stable and business-friendly environment in their analysis.  This is one of the top 4 preferences for Amazon in the RFP.   That puts NYC, Chicago and every city in California out from the start.  That's also 4 of the top 5 here.  Just silly.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Ouch the view from Seattle and its Prosperity Bomb https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/20/opinion/how-amazon-took-seattles-soul.html

Woof, yeah, this nails it.  I’ve been pretty dismissive about Charlotte’s chances of landing HQ2, but I honestly hope Charlotte doesn’t get it.  Sure, as a fan urbanity and the “idea” of Charlotte, it’s a fun exercise to imagine what the city would look like if it landed HQ2, but I personally believe it’ll do more harm to the city than good.

Amazon ain’t coming in and hiring 50,000 locals to work $100k jobs, like an old manufacturer in the days of yore.  They’ll be brining 50,000 people with them.  Driving on 85 and 77.  Buying property.  Changing the landscape of the city.  Not all growth is good growth.  There are literal tent cities out here.  The strain is real and visible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This proves what I have been talking about from Dallas Business Journal. Other companies want to see where Amazon ends up so they go elsewhere.  https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2017/10/19/how-dallas-fort-worth-is-already-feeling-the.html?ana=e_ae_set3&s=scroll&ed=2017-10-21&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1508592556&j=79031501

"I've seen a slowdown in relocating companies and companies waiting to make a final determination until Amazon makes a decision," Arledge told the Dallas Business Journal. "The Amazon effect has slowed down some things. Until they put together a short list or pick a final location, I think this will continue to have an impact on some other real estate searches."

"With Amazon promising to bring up to 50,000 jobs with the average pay of $100,000 with its second North American campus, Arledge said companies — especially those in the financial services or technology industries — want to steer clear of Amazon's No.1 draft pick for an HQ2."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

That is one thing I am worried about for Charlotte is that the city that get's it will steal a lot of our growth. .

No what that article is saying is that major expansions of other companies will steer clear of the city that does win it. It  has been my point all along that many companies will not want to compete with amazon in the labor pool. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

No what that article is saying is that major expansions of other companies will steer clear of the city that does win it. It  has been my point all along that many companies will not one to compete with amazon in the labor pool. 

Oh, Well I don't really want Amazon to come because Charlotte adds way more than 50K Jobs a year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Yea, the hyperloop connecting St. Louis and KCMO was more than a little ridiculous:

Seriously, do we trust MoDot to build and maintain something that's going to launch people across the state in a windowless steel tube at "airline speed"? Before you answer, consider the fact that we're currently struggling to build a angel love trolley line that's less than two miles long from end to end. Years behind schedule: three, and counting.

Honestly, NC could stitch together the Charlotte and RTP labor markets with a trafficless hourly rail service between CLT and Raleigh. Service exists now, but increasing its speed (up to around 100mph, maybe even 120mph) and offering lots more frequency could probably be done for less than a couple hundred million now that the previous wad of improvements on the route is done.

4 hours ago, kermit said:

Yea, the hyperloop connecting St. Louis and KCMO was more than a little ridiculous:

Honestly, NC could stitch together the Charlotte and RTP labor markets with a trafficless hourly rail service between CLT and Raleigh. Service exists now, but increasing its speed (up to around 100mph, maybe even 120mph) and offering lots more frequency could probably be done for less than a couple hundred million now that the previous wad of improvements on the route is done.

A Hyper loop connecting CLT, Raleigh and the Triad would be very beneficial in the future as all of these metro areas are predicted to intertwine and become one huge metro area. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Popsickle said:

Not to mention the significant tax increase...

Yeah.

I know this is off topic but I'm always confused why i pay so much more in taxes here than I paid in CO (almost 2x).  It's all about your personal situation.  For example CO has low property tax and huge pension income advantages. They funded a lot of their transit via sales tax which I like as I can control it. Others could have the opposite experience. There is no way to know other than to fill out the tax form for each state based on your income.  I know I'm rambling but my point is that some people would have a big increase and others would not. And it would have nothing at all to do with your use of transit. ;-)

9 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Yeah.

I know this is off topic but I'm always confused why i pay so much more in taxes here than I paid in CO (almost 2x).  It's all about your personal situation.  For example CO has low property tax and huge pension income advantages. They funded a lot of their transit via sales tax which I like as I can control it. Others could have the opposite experience. There is no way to know other than to fill out the tax form for each state based on your income.  I know I'm rambling but my point is that some people would have a big increase and others would not. And it would have nothing at all to do with your use of transit. ;-)

I would have no problem with a fast food tax (incredibly unhealthy food, and any increase on tobacco or alcohol tax for that matter) that went towards mass transit. 

While I have no problem with people doing what they want with their bodies, our country will most likely continue on it's way to a single payer health care system and since I take care of myself physically the people that don't should start paying up now and get us some mass transit  Rant over. 

P.S. I know the two are not related. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

Oh, Well I don't really want Amazon to come because Charlotte adds way more than 50K Jobs a year.

Respectfully, you've spent the last 19 pages of this thread telling us all that you think Charlotte will land HQ2, for a multitude of reasons.  Why the sudden change?

• Like 4