Amazon HQ2

Popsickle

Name a city that is both economically successful that doesn't have transportation problems and high cost of living. With or without Amazon, those issues are just starting to bubble up here in Charlotte. Our cost of living is lower by comparison to other large American cities right now, but if we continue to be the fastest growing city and continue to attract high paying jobs (be it Amazon or PayPal or anything else), then the scale of issues that Seattle, Boston, Atlanta, etc. are dealing with will come here too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I am going to put this right here. Look at the salary needed to buy a median priced home in Seattle vs Charlotte it is basically doubled.   https://www.hsh.com/finance/mortgage/salary-home-buying-25-cities.html#seattle

Honestly, those figures are BS.  My wife and I made out like bandits in Charlotte in an 1800sq foot home within walking distance of the light rail, with a mortgage under $250k.

The same home in Seattle (size, proximity to downtown and transit) would easily run you $700k.  A single family home anywhere within Seattle city limits will start at $400k, and that’s for a run down mess.

I never understood how insanely affordable Charlotte actually was until I moved away from it.  But, you also get what you pay for.

• Like 4

I am a tech worker and was considering relocating to the west coast. (I currently work remotely in Charlotte for a CA firm.) I have seen double-wide trailers listed for $400k+. Rotting down shacks for $900k. Poorly built vinyl siding boxes for $1.5 million. It's truly astounding how bad the cost of living out there has gotten. People on this side of the country underestimate it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, asthasr said:

I am a tech worker and was considering relocating to the west coast. (I currently work remotely in Charlotte for a CA firm.) I have seen double-wide trailers listed for $400k+. Rotting down shacks for $900k. Poorly built vinyl siding boxes for $1.5 million. It's truly astounding how bad the cost of living out there has gotten. People on this side of the country underestimate it.

There are only a select few cheap west coast cities left, but they are also rapidly changing (Tacoma, Portland, etc.)  It’s no wonder Amazon is searching elsewhere for real estate.  

Charlotte and other sunbelt cities have so much space and housing stock, it shouldn’t experience the kind of prices seen out-west for a long time.

It sounds like you’re desciribing the Bay Area?

49 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

I didn’t think it would take that long to eliminate cities, Apparently it does.

Maybe a move by Amazon to wrangle more incentives from cities.  They could easily have issues with the top five or top 10 cities, however they could make a longer "short list" and could post those and say more time is needed. 

I see it as a move by Amazon to try and get cities/states (or even countries considering Canada is in the mix) to boost their bids. 

17 hours ago, Popsickle said:

Maybe a move by Amazon to wrangle more incentives from cities.  They could easily have issues with the top five or top 10 cities, however they could make a longer "short list" and could post those and say more time is needed. 

I see it as a move by Amazon to try and get cities/states (or even countries considering Canada is in the mix) to boost their bids. 

Canada is a non factor. 

Here is a space comparison for Charlotte and their proposed Amazon HQ2   however  the BofA Corp Center is 1.2 million I dont know how the numbers work it would take 10 for 8 million sq ft.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/11/29/here-s-how-large-amazon-s-hq2-be-if-it-were.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2017-11-29&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1511987032&j=79257101

• Like 1

In talking with a leading economist today at lunch about Amazon he made a couple of comments.  He thought Florida was the choice (and I don't agree) as he thought the execs coming from a no personal income tax state like Washington would like that.  But on the other hand he mentioned Charlotte's great airport and the the fact the North Carolina has the LOWEST corporate tax rate on the east coast.  The lowest for even Florida charges a corporate tax higher than NC.   So who knows but I thought that was a good point about the corporate tax rate and he mentioned the ease of contacting colleagues in Europe from the east coast.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

In talking with a leading economist today at lunch about Amazon he made a couple of comments.  He thought Florida was the choice (and I don't agree) as he thought the execs coming from a no personal income tax state like Washington would like that.  But on the other hand he mentioned Charlotte's great airport and the the fact the North Carolina has the LOWEST corporate tax rate on the east coast.  The lowest for even Florida charges a corporate tax higher than NC.   So who knows but I thought that was a good point about the corporate tax rate and he mentioned the ease of contacting colleagues in Europe from the east coast.  

That's quite an interesting speculation. Florida hasn't really been mentioned on here. I think it has as good of a chance as many other states but I can't imagine Amazon would take personal income tax into account very much if they even consider it at all. NC's corporate tax rate would be a big factor, however. 

Amazon HQ2 betting odds are mentioned in this article.  I have long put my money not really on ATL and that is what the major bookies are saying too

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2017/12/06/speculation-game-surrounding-amazons-hq2-favors.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2017-12-06&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1512591268&j=79297321

• Like 1