Amazon HQ2

Popsickle

Interesting story from the Detroit Free Press on Amazon providing an explanation for Detroit's near miss:

"My takeaway, yeah, regional transit played a role. Was it the defining role? No, I think talent was the defining role in us not making the list," 

https://www.freep.com/story/money/business/john-gallagher/2018/01/18/detroit-amazon-headquarters-finalists/1043624001/

Edited by kermit

at least Apple's search is not going to be this free for all and they already have a short list.  From Austin Business Journal:

""Apple Inc. wants to create a new corporate campus that will house thousands of employees, but it won't follow Amazon.com Inc.'s highly public HQ2 approach, according to media reports.  Reuters reports Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL) won't hold a bidding process for its new campus. The company on Jan. 17 announced its campus plans as part of its efforts to contribute $350 billion to the U.S. economy over the next five years. The company said it will create 20,000 new jobs, spread out between the new campus and existing facilities.  “We’ve narrowed the list a lot,” Apple CEO Tim Cook said, Reuters reports. “We wanted to narrow it so we prevent this auction kind of process that we want to stay out of.”  According to ABC News, Apple does not plan to create the new campus in California or Texas. The company already has more than 6,000 employees in Austin, its largest office outside its headquarters of Cupertino, California.""

Hopefully Charlotte is one of the cities they will take a look at.  Their process is the more normal economic development process.   Maybe this thread can be change to the Apple Amazon thread. 

• Like 3

I'll pick Denver just to annoy everyone. ;-)

I think it'll be the MD / Montgomery County site. Picking without the incentives being public is a coin toss though.

Places which would shock me: LA, Dallas, Miami, Raleigh, Nashville, Columbus and Indianapolis.

Edited by elrodvt
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

I'll pick Denver just to annoy everyone. ;-)

I think it'll be the MD / Montgomery County site. Picking without the incentives being public is a coin toss though.

Places which would shock me: LA, Dallas, Miami, Raleigh, Nashville, Columbus and Indianapolis.

I'm hoping for Philly, or Pittsburgh personally*.  But having basically three DC locations in the pick points to the strength advantage that region has.  20% of the short list are basically on the North East Corridor, so I think transportation choice is going to be a fairly strong factor.  

*Yes I'd love Amazon to pick Raleigh, as that would be best for Charlotte's Tech industry, Atlanta would be good too, as I think it might help spur development of the SEHSR as well,  but it would be absolutely huge for Philly's or Pittsburgh's image.  After watching them decline for so many years it'd be great to see either one get a big win like that.  

• Like 1

On 1/18/2018 at 6:02 PM, lewy2000 said:

While I never felt like Charlotte had a legit shot, we certainly didn’t do ourselves any favors by focusing on our “edginess.”

Whoever came up with that game plan certainly doesn’t understand this city and the value it could bring to companies like Amazon. They probably dismissed our bid for being disingenuous.

Apparently we are the “stable genius” of HQ2 submissions.

FCEDED1D-E31D-4A9F-8662-BF8F54E614AC.thumb.jpeg.ed22a0c15c4a359f976a436af7ca9408.jpeg

The Charlotte UP  board has a deep and very impressive bench of gifted and talented members. 

The A Team:  @ricky_davis_fan_21 (Visionary, Dreamer, Artist) ,  @KJHburg (Historian, Archivist, Artist),  @kermit (Polymath and Ethicist),  @ah59396 (Philosopher and Folk Humorist),  @Cadi40  (Incurable Cockeyed Optimist), and  @CLTranspo (Environmentalist, Sustainability and Transit Expert).  And many, many others!  

With a little crowd-fund sourcing, it's possible our "A Team" could've made us real contenders.   Just interesting to contemplate, what if.

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 4

Dale I’ve got a challenge for you.  Try to go a whole day without injecting your political opinion into a thread.  It’d be a miracle.

It's rare.

Regarding DC being on the list 3 times - it's because of the nessecity of MD, DC and VA to have had to submit separate bids.  This is a list of bids.  The reality is that all of these bids offer more than one location (at least they should).

25 minutes ago, mjcatl2 said:

It's rare.

Regarding DC being on the list 3 times - it's because of the nessecity of MD, DC and VA to have had to submit separate bids.  This is a list of bids.  The reality is that all of these bids offer more than one location (at least they should).

You people are so brave.

2 hours ago, QCxpat said:

The Charlotte UP  board has a deep and very impressive bench of gifted and talented members. 

The A Team:  @ricky_davis_fan_21 (Visionary, Dreamer, Artist) ,  @KJHburg (Historian, Archivist, Artist),  @kermit (Polymath and Ethicist),  @ah59396 (Philosopher and Folk Humorist),  @Cadi40  (Incurable Cockeyed Optimist), and  @CLTranspo (Environmentalist, Sustainability and Transit Expert).  And many, many others!  

With a little crowd-fund sourcing, it's possible our "A Team" could've made us real contenders.   Just interesting to contemplate, what if.

Wow I am honored since I mostly just lurk as of late.  :) 

I agree that there are a lot of knowledgeable fans of Charlotte out there who probably could've sold the city more effectively and truthfully!

• Like 1

Amazon real estate execs list real estate priorities in HQ2 in hearing this I ask why Nashville and Raleigh?  Is it because they have plans for transit?  I still think they are going to a metro area as large or larger than Seattle. https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2018/01/19/amazons-real-estate-chief-just-outlined-the.html?ana=e_atl_bn_newsalert&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1516579823&j=79551901

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Amazon real estate execs list real estate priorities in HQ2 in hearing this I ask why Nashville and Raleigh?  Is it because they have plans for transit?  I still think they are going to a metro area as large or larger than Seattle. https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2018/01/19/amazons-real-estate-chief-just-outlined-the.html?ana=e_atl_bn_newsalert&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1516579823&j=79551901

How much of the list is based on a quota?  As in needing to have states selected just so those states participate in the bidding process, in turn, helping them leverage who they actually want.  

That's an excellent point....only 2 states had more than 2 cities (Texas and Pennsylvania), so this is most likely to strategically get as many states involved as possible.

Some of the more questionable cities (Nashville, Indianapolis, Raleigh, and Columbus) are all in states known for large incentive packages, so probably kept in as stalking horse bids.

New prediction, is that they locate in D.C. but with 2 campuses....1 in NoVa and 1 in MD.

• Like 2