Amazon HQ2

Popsickle

3 hours ago, DMann said:

When do we bring out the horse being beaten?

I agree, ready for it to be over too lol.  But I'm curious to see how this bid thing works (esp in our case with over 22 sites).  What was the format or layout and how many pages did it consist of?  I feel like with so many sites, our bid would basically consist of a map of CLT, a circle around the potential site, and a few bullet points attempting to highlight the area (slight exaggeration).  I also don't necessarily agree with them using the excuse of our avail tech workforce as an excuse.  Raleigh, the Triad, and other are very close driving distance (plus a lot of it would be staggered growth and influx).  I'm sure other locations are using a certain radius for their talent pool as well.  I do think we should have had a more focused bid, in terms of potential sites (5 or so)...22 may seem desperate or too vague of a bid...who knows.  Just my personal opinion as well, I think Amazon already had a "short list" well before this whole thing went public anyways...but like many have said, we'll do just fine without it...no butthurt here. 

• Like 1

Lets all relax about this search and watch this Saturday Night Live skit about several cities presenting to Mr Bezos and Atlanta wins this skit for sure!
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2018/01/22/snl-sketch-mocks-atlantas-amazon-hq2-pitch-vido.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2018-01-27&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1517059428&j=79672671

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I vote that this thread gets moved to the coffee house so that it can pivot from a conversation about Charlotte landing HQ2 to a conversation about tax breaks, business regulations and the politics of big vs. small business.  

It is interesting to me that somewhat similar businesses in Amazon and Wal-Mart find themselves on opposite ends in brand equity.   Somehow it's acceptable to crap on Wal-Mart for what they do to small business but it's perfectly acceptable, if not downright cool, to purchase almost everything from Amazon.   

Maybe it's the anonymity of online shopping compared to shopping in a big box?   Maybe it's that it's easier for people to have outrage to a company for employing a worker with almost no skill at a low wage rather than not even having those workers on the payroll at all?   Most interesting is that the resentment towards people of ultra-wealthy seems to be based more on their current politics than the wake of their path towards getting it.   

• Like 3

^^^ Speaking of Walmart they employ far more here in Charlotte than Amazon probably ever will and they leased a 107,000 sq entire office building in the office park now known as Water Ridge back in 2015 and employs 100s and 100s there no one nickels of incentives paid. It was one of the biggest new to market office leases that year. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/06/wal-mart-signs-12-year-lease-for-office-building.html

That being I hope Prime Air from Amazon builds up their service to CLT.   Amazon occupies 2 buildings already in west Charlotte, one in Concord and building a 1 M sq ft warehouse in Kannapolis.  When the new building is done they will have almost 2 Million sq ft in the 2 counties.  

• Like 3

Interesting theory on where HQ2 will end up and I have said all along that Amazon had a very short list but did this nationwide charade to extract more out of their preferred location.  https://www.bisnow.com/new-york/news/economic-development/lois-weiss-84169?utm_source=MorningBrief&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20180130_charlotte_morningbrief&be=kj%40charlottehomes.com

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Interesting theory on where HQ2 will end up and I have said all along that Amazon had a very short list but did this nationwide charade to extract more out of their preferred location.  https://www.bisnow.com/new-york/news/economic-development/lois-weiss-84169?utm_source=MorningBrief&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20180130_charlotte_morningbrief&be=kj%40charlottehomes.com

Makes perfect sense.  I wonder why this wasn't published before the short list?  All of the items listed were public before that list was made.  

• 1 month later...

It seems like HQ2 might end up in Virginia, but I thought this was an interesting thought regarding Georgia:

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/27/technology/amazon-hq2-atlanta/index.html

Maybe other companies considering Georgia currently will shift north a few hours to Charlotte; which would be an interesting change of events after the HB2 debacle.  With Charlotte being out of the running for HQ2 I was pretty stocked about the EY Wavespace announcement, and hope we can string together some small wins like that.  Since it seems like EY will be at RailYard, I am interested to see if the NAI Elizabeth/Midtown tower is indicative of some other relocation or expansion that hasn't been announced.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

It seems like HQ2 might end up in Virginia, but I thought this was an interesting thought regarding Georgia:

Maybe other companies considering Georgia currently will shift north a few hours to Charlotte; which would be an interesting change of events after the HB2 debacle.  With Charlotte being out of the running for HQ2 I was pretty stocked about the EY Wavespace announcement, and hope we can string together some small wins like that.  Since it seems like EY will be at RailYard, I am interested to see if the NAI Elizabeth/Midtown tower is indicative of some other relocation or expansion that hasn't been announced.

Georgia screwed the pooch after it took a dump on Delta this week.  Why any business would want to go there now is beyond me.  They are making NC look good by comparison.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/alliancebernstein-considers-moving-some-staff-away-from-new-york-1507746821

Charlotte is up against Nashvegas and San Antonio for this. Been trying to get it some media attention lately. I think we are on the cusp of losing out, despite being the most obvious candidate for a Financial Hub.

I say Charlotte should take a jab at ATL...

Send a note to the NFL that they should move the super bowl out of ATL and CLT would be proud to host it. Not that it’s realistic, but revenge for their shenanigans during HB2 and how they solicited the NBA for the all stars....

Obvioisly Vi Lyles is too classy for that, but still. I’m still bitter over the lack of support from other cities, states, HRC, etc. for Charlotte, Raleigh and the other NC cities.