Amazon HQ2

Popsickle

11 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I say Charlotte should take a jab at ATL...

Send a note to the NFL that they should move the super bowl out of ATL and CLT would be proud to host it. Not that it’s realistic, but revenge for their shenanigans during HB2 and how they solicited the NBA for the all stars....

Obvioisly Vi Lyles is too classy for that, but still. I’m still bitter over the lack of support from other cities, states, HRC, etc. for Charlotte, Raleigh and the other NC cities. 

I think the hard thing is HB2 was so easy to attack: 

"NC discriminates on fundamental bathroom rights statewide!"

vs..... "Georgia took a discretionary tax break away from a for profit corporation over an NRA discount!"

It becomes a lot harder to craft a simple, easy jab that doesn't make CLT look silly... and would likely just bring HB2 back in the media spotlight. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

vs..... "Georgia took a discretionary tax break away from a for profit corporation over an NRA discount!"

It becomes a lot harder to craft a simple, easy jab that doesn't make CLT look silly... and would likely just bring HB2 back in the media spotlight. 

You’re right. I’m just being petty. :P

43 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

GA is currently trying to pass a bill that would prevent same-sex couples from adopting children. 

• 3 months later...
26 minutes ago, JBS said:

The most important thing Charlotte can do is invest in higher education.  Not an easy fix but until UNCC is significantly upgraded, we will continue to lose out on relocations requiring a well educated populace.  We have nothing to compare to Nashville (Vanderbilt) or Raleigh (Duke, UNC, State) or Austin (UT).  There are amazing public/private partnerships with companies (including technology and biotech) with UCSD in San Diego (not to mention SDSU).  Charlotte needs to raise money privately to support UNCC in a more significant way than it currently does.  It is a research university only in the most literal sense of the phrase.  BTW, I'm not dissing it.  My son is a graduate, two are currently enrolled and two more are likely future grads.  They also tell me that the quality of classes at CPCC was comparable or better.  I can't think of much else that Charlotte lacks to attract investment here (assuming transit continues to grow)...  

I've taught classes at UNCC from time to time. This is anecdotal, of course, but more than any other place I've taught, UNCC students gamed the system to miss as much class as they could, were checking email/listening to music/whatever when they were there (until I called them on it), and a few of them were expecting freebies to keep their grades up (not freshmen, either). There were, of course, hardworking students who were engaged, but they were the minority.

So I asked my faculty supervisor about my impressions, and he confirmed them. Further, he said that UNCC was largely populated by students who didn't get into Chapel Hill, NCSU, or UNCA. Those were the three he mentioned. I still don't know fully what to make of what he said (e.g., I know kids who were good students who only applied to UNCC), or where UNCC stands in his estimation vis-a-vis the other UNC's, App St., ECU, or WCU. But JBS, what I've described maybe dovetails with your childrens' estimate of the quality of classes.

I don't entirely blame what I've described on the students--what I've seen takes faculty enablers. Perhaps for UNCC to make a serious contribution to Charlotte's higher ed reputation, an academic-cultural change might be in order, in addition to the financial investments.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Exile said:

I've taught classes at UNCC from time to time. This is anecdotal, of course, but more than any other place I've taught, UNCC students gamed the system to miss as much class as they could, were checking email/listening to music/whatever when they were there (until I called them on it), and a few of them were expecting freebies to keep their grades up (not freshmen, either). There were, of course, hardworking students who were engaged, but they were the minority.

So I asked my faculty supervisor about my impressions, and he confirmed them. Further, he said that UNCC was largely populated by students who didn't get into Chapel Hill, NCSU, or UNCA. Those were the three he mentioned. I still don't know fully what to make of what he said (e.g., I know kids who were good students who only applied to UNCC), or where UNCC stands in his estimation vis-a-vis the other UNC's, App St., ECU, or WCU. But JBS, what I've described maybe dovetails with your childrens' estimate of the quality of classes.

I don't entirely blame what I've described on the students--what I've seen takes faculty enablers. Perhaps for UNCC to make a serious contribution to Charlotte's higher ed reputation, an academic-cultural change might be in order, in addition to the financial investments.

I'm sorry, but I have to call BS on this, especially on what your Faculty supervisor says about students from UNC Charlotte being those that didn't get into the aforementioned schools you listed. That is entirely unfair to those of us who actually chose Charlotte over UNC Chapel Hill and NC State. And, honestly, I think that is lazy on your supervisor's part to understand the students they teach. 

There is a significant culture change needed in all of higher education, now that it's more expensive to go to college, and the federal government refuses to help out. Some of these students "gaming" the system, are doing so just to be able to get some sleep. I worked 2 jobs and attended full-time, and was eventually burned out by the time I graduated. Going to college is now a clever system of managing time and professional realities with an ever-increasing gated community of Haves vs. Have Nots. 

To the original posting about the city needing to invest more into the university, it's less on the city and more on the state. However, both neglect an amazing university. UNC Charlotte is a diamond in the rough. The human capital and the think-tank capacities at the university far outweigh any negatives. It would be foolish on the city and the state to continue ignoring the university, and I think we are seeing some substantial investments happening. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Rufus said:

I'm sorry, but I have to call BS on this, especially on what your Faculty supervisor says about students from UNC Charlotte being those that didn't get into the aforementioned schools you listed. That is entirely unfair to those of us who actually chose Charlotte over UNC Chapel Hill and NC State. And, honestly, I think that is lazy on your supervisor's part to understand the students they teach. 

There is a significant culture change needed in all of higher education, now that it's more expensive to go to college, and the federal government refuses to help out. Some of these students "gaming" the system, are doing so just to be able to get some sleep. I worked 2 jobs and attended full-time, and was eventually burned out by the time I graduated. Going to college is now a clever system of managing time and professional realities with an ever-increasing gated community of Haves vs. Have Nots. 

To the original posting about the city needing to invest more into the university, it's less on the city and more on the state. However, both neglect an amazing university. UNC Charlotte is a diamond in the rough. The human capital and the think-tank capacities at the university far outweigh any negatives. It would be foolish on the city and the state to continue ignoring the university, and I think we are seeing some substantial investments happening. 

Have at it with my supervisor--I disclaimed any sufficient insight into the NC universities admissions issue, and noted students that I know personally who chose UNCC as their first/only choice. As far as that goes, I'm just the messenger. Don't shoot.

But I know what I saw (though I also disclaimed that as anecdotal). I have a PhD and have taught at five colleges/universities. I have a son who is currently a doctoral student in engineering (and currently studying for his comps) and another undergrad who works two jobs while he goes to a top-15 university that is incredibly demanding of him. I know academic burnout as well as anybody on this board. What I'm reporting to you that I saw with my own eyes was not academic burnout--I know what that looks like, and I left those people out of my reckoning. An example (of many) that comes to mind: a young woman sitting back row center of a stadium-style classroom plainly reading a contemporary novel in a way that the title and author were legible to my not-so-good eyesight. I'm not a literature teacher, that book would not likely be on any college lit lists, and she was most definitely not burned out.

BTW, in my experience, students who are truly burned out show their grit in other ways that are obvious--and commendable.

Edited by Exile
correct bad grammar
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rufus said:

I support more state funding but I think it's unlikely it will be sufficient to make enough difference.  Certainly, some people choose UNCC over other schools for various reasons.  However, realistically you can't compare the school to UNC or even NC State (UNCA or others in the system I can't say for sure but the gap is surely smaller if there is one).  Based on the purely anecdotal info I have from my sons, Exile's description of many students was accurate.  Again, doesn't mean there aren't excellent students and teachers at Charlotte.

BTW, you may discount all of my input...I only have a GED.  My son is the first college grad in our home.    

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JBS said:

I support more state funding but I think it's unlikely it will be sufficient to make enough difference.  Certainly, some people choose UNCC over other schools for various reasons.  However, realistically you can't compare the school to UNC or even NC State (UNCA or others in the system I can't say for sure but the gap is surely smaller if there is one).  Based on the purely anecdotal info I have from my sons, Exile's description of many students was accurate.  Again, doesn't mean there aren't excellent students and teachers at Charlotte.

BTW, you may discount all of my input...I only have a GED.  My son is the first college grad in our home.    

My wife teaches out there. I dropped in one day to watch her in action.  She had a class of about 95 students.  I was horrified to see kids watching everything from football replays to soap operas. 

Quality not quantity!!!  The goal is, apparently, 50 k students in a few years.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

My wife teaches out there. I dropped in one day to watch her in action.  She had a class of about 95 students.  I was horrified to see kids watching everything from football replays to soap operas. 

Come on guys, let's not cast aspersions against a very up an coming school/university.  Give credit where credit is due, a shiddy a$$ video and piss poor marketing campaign for a city known for high profile marketing and promotion.  In my opinion, it wasn't the lack of education, culture, etc in Charlotte, it was an underwhelming ability to showcase it.  Pitiful and embarrassing for a city of that caliber.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Durhamite said:

Come on guys, let's not cast aspersions against a very up an coming school/university.  Give credit where credit is due, a shiddy a$$ video and piss poor marketing campaign for a city known for high profile marketing and promotion.  In my opinion, it wasn't the lack of education, culture, etc in Charlotte, it was an underwhelming ability to showcase it.  Pitiful and embarrassing for a city of that caliber.

I assume you’re talking about amazon. 

My honest opinion is that Raleigh, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Nashville  and a couple others were just random capitols thrown into the mix. Not getting a phony chance to complete for a regional headquarters has nothing to do with the video or Charlotte’s submission. And it’s not a big deal. 

I preferred UNCC over over schools in NC because o prefered a larger city for what its worth. 

3 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

This is actually kind of normal these days and it's not just UNCC. I've seen a disturbing amount of social media where the kids reference or show themselves and others doing everything but paying attention in class.

These dang kids today...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

This is actually kind of normal these days and it's not just UNCC. I've seen a disturbing amount of social media where the kids reference or show themselves and others doing everything but paying attention in class.

These dang kids today...

Lord knows if today's internet existed when I was in college, there's no way I'd be graduating. 

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think Amazon or any other company for that matter has or will pass us up bc of the lack of talent or universities. Davidson and Elon are very close and literally half of the entire ACC is within a 3 hour drive. As far as Uncc,  I mentioned this in another post, but this Uni is a baby compared to other top tier schools in the UNC system. State: 1887. Chapel hill: 1789. Duke (not in system):1838. Charlotte:1946. Decades if not century and a half older, it's incredible how quickly this university has established itself as a major research institute. The academics and national recognition will grow with time. My wishes for the school: 1: change the name. I don't like the 4 letter acronym...doesnt work with sports and causes confusion. University of Charlotte or Charlotte University. 2: We're the largest US city without a med school. Would be game changing. I think the future is bright for the university and I think companies looking to locate in CLT will view it as an asset, rather than a con. 

*Football attendance is on the decline across the country (besides the alamabas of the world).  If students can't even stay past half time at a college football game, do you think they're going to give professors their undivided attention in a 2 or 3 hour lecture? It's not a uncc thing, it's an 18 year olds attention span. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

My honest opinion is that Raleigh, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Nashville  and a couple others were just random capitols thrown into the mix.

Harrisburg is the capitol of PA...must be a UNCC grad... 

Sorry...I had to do it...I promise I am not really an A$$hole.  Obviously a simple mistake.  I have plenty of highly successful friends that went to UNCC.  And we all remember the no class classes at UNC...  

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, JBS said:

The most important thing Charlotte can do is invest in higher education.  Not an easy fix but until UNCC is significantly upgraded, we will continue to lose out on relocations requiring a well educated populace.  We have nothing to compare to Nashville (Vanderbilt) or Raleigh (Duke, UNC, State) or Austin (UT).  There are amazing public/private partnerships with companies (including technology and biotech) with UCSD in San Diego (not to mention SDSU).  Charlotte needs to raise money privately to support UNCC in a more significant way than it currently does.  It is a research university only in the most literal sense of the phrase.  BTW, I'm not dissing it.  My son is a graduate, two are currently enrolled and two more are likely future grads.  They also tell me that the quality of classes at CPCC was comparable or better.  I can't think of much else that Charlotte lacks to attract investment here (assuming transit continues to grow)...  

The Triangle's chances of landing HQ2 are looking good, which would be good for the whole state.  In many respects, Charlotte and Raleigh are complementary,  and they make the region more dynamic overall.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

...My wishes for the school: 1: change the name. I don't like the 4 letter acronym...doesnt work with sports and causes confusion. University of Charlotte or Charlotte University. 2: We're the largest US city without a med school. Would be game changing. I think the future is bright for the university and I think companies looking to locate in CLT will view it as an asset, rather than a con....

Yes, and yes. You could even attach it to campus at Carolinas-University, though I assume Carolinas Med Center has the catbird seat. However it might happen, "University of Charlotte School of Medicine' has a nice ring.

• Like 1