Popsickle

Amazon HQ2

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Had a fun 15 minutes returning to this thread from a year ago forward for a few months. The rumors, the rationalisations, the certainty, the wagers, dubious suspicions, and now it is the capital of the nation and the largest city in the western hemisphere.  Thanks for playing!

Sao Paul, Mexico City, and Lima are all bigger than New York.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Niner National said:

Wow! I didn’t know Lima was bigger. 

São Paulo feels and looks significantly bigger than NYC. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Niner National said:

All of those cities have metros of about 20m people.  Also, I go to SP a lot.  It's geographic boundaries are very large.  Within the same area, one could make NY and Philly a metro area with a population of 26m.

Anyway, Charlotte's managed growth is the way to go.  

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

Millennials: “Ha-Ha! He said we’ve got a train!”

Millennials: “My God! We need a train!”

28 minutes ago, Dale said:

Millennials: “Ha-Ha! He said we’ve got a train!”

Millennials: “My God! We need a train!”

You are obsessed with Millennials.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nativetenn said:

You are obsessed with Millennials.

More like annoyed by certain of their sensibilities. Now, get off my damn lawn.

• Haha 2

Just now, Dale said:

More like annoyed by certain of their sensibilities. Now, get off my damn lawn.

I enjoy the Charlotte board and come over here often to check on the development/new high rises. I will hang out here if I please. 

Sorry the Millennials bother you so much as they are the subject of so many of your posts. Don't melt, snowflake.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nativetenn said:

I enjoy the Charlotte board and come over here often to check on the development/new high rises. I will hang out here if I please. 

Sorry the Millennials bother you so much as they are the subject of so many of your posts. Don't melt, snowflake.

Co-opting a perjorative your ilk occasioned. 

Cheeky!

Alongside the news of its new headquarters, Amazon also announced that Nashville will play host to its new East Coast operations hub, which will be responsible for customer fulfillment and transportation, among other activities. This office will provide jobs for 5,000 workers in the city.

Personally, I view Nashville as the big winner.  They get Amazon and 5K jobs without all the issues (and presumably financial commitments) that come with a split HQ.  Wish we got that but good for them.

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind words. We have some incentives involved.  We speculate they will go to Nashville Yards development.

This is from the Tennessean.

Amazon said it will receive performance-based incentives of up to $102 million based on the company creating 5,000 jobs with average wages greater than $150,000. That includes a $65 million cash grant for capital expenditures from the state over the next 7 years, or $13,000 per job. It also includes a $15 million cash grant from Metro Nashville over the next seven years, based on $500 for each job. A  nearly $22 million job tax credit will offset franchise and excise taxes from Tennessee as well.

• Like 4

This really cements NY's tech leadership.  Google owns around 4m sf of space in Manhattan and is about to commit to another 1.5m sf in a new building on the Westside.    FB and LinkedIn also have more space in NYC than anywhere else outside of the Bay Area.  Also, the Tech Center on Roosevelt Island is a big plus.

That being said, I hope that Charlotte and Raleigh can somehow collaborate to make the corridor more competitive.  Between Duke, UNC, NC State and Charlotte's commercial appeal, this is very viable.

• Like 2

Ok, I know all of you are about NC unity here. 

Butttt. I’m sort of amused Nashville and DC and NYC got picked over our humble capital. Mostly because their media and some people crowed and crowed about Charlotte not making the final top 20.  For an entire year.

im nearly positive some Raleigh folk and their local media will still continue to point out Raleigh, the technology Mecca, made the top “20” (really like 17 considering multiple areas for a metro were chosen) for an east coast technology  HQ and lost to 3 other Cities and financial hub Charlotte didn’t. 

:p

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Two things going on here: (1) to the dismay of secondary cities, the rich get richer (2) nonetheless, secondary cities are growing in significance ...

https://www.floridarealtors.org/NewsAndEvents/article.cfm?p=2&id=373793&fbclid=IwAR3NgYaDVjJEWZ4b93NXQ3DfW03RQXp7Pq7fJb6jj0exNRAd441emxgAORE

That article seems to cherry pick what it considers a "secondary city" depending on the paragraph. Best as I can tell it basically considers any city more affordable than SF/DC/NYC to be a "secondary city."

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Ok, I know all of you are about NC unity here. 

Butttt. I’m sort of amused Nashville and DC and NYC got picked over our humble capital. Mostly because their media and some people crowed and crowed about Charlotte not making the final top 20.  For an entire year.

im nearly positive some Raleigh folk and their local media will still continue to point out Raleigh, the technology Mecca, made the top “20” (really like 17 considering multiple areas for a metro were chosen) for an east coast technology  HQ and lost to 3 other Cities and financial hub Charlotte didn’t. 

:p

I do wonder how close Raleigh and Atlanta were in the final decision but imo Nashville probably is the better option for just two simple reasons: 1) Better location logistically speaking. 2) Most lively downtown with room to grow. 

Mostly Nashville wins because of location. 

3 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

That article seems to cherry pick what it considers a "secondary city" depending on the paragraph. Best as I can tell it basically considers any city more affordable than SF/DC/NYC to be a "secondary city."

I’m okay with secondary cities being “everyone else.”

4 minutes ago, Crucial_Infra said:

I do wonder how close Raleigh and Atlanta were in the final decision but imo Nashville probably is the better option for just two simple reasons: 1) Better location logistically speaking. 2) Most lively downtown with room to grow. 

As well as (don’t be angry with me) It City status.

12 minutes ago, Crucial_Infra said:

Atlanta is certainly better from a logistical aspect. Biggest Airport in the world, Delta's HQ, UPS HQ, Norfolk Southern's HQ (along with a huge tract of land in the center of DT next to 4 subway lines), and recent announcement of Amazon's logistics hub. I think Amazon felt slighted with the outgoing GA LT Gov's slap on the wrist of Delta's policial stance on gun control. 

I think at the end of the day Tennessee was more shrewd in its negotiations and incentive packages. Nashville over Austin, Dallas, and Atlanta is suprising in multiple ways. 

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin

Just now, Miesian Corners said:

I don't think anyone was ever actually in the running at all. Amazon got what it wanted from day one: attention.

And stripping data from wannabe cities.

• Like 1