Amazon HQ2

Popsickle

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I like Atlanta.  It has a nice climate, nice suburbs, and a very low cost of living.  However,  I prefer Charlotte and Nashville.   

Atlanta is doing well, and I think that's great.  It's building some nice little towers and is filling out.  However, I'm surprised by the shock that my friends from Alpharetta expressed by the fact that Atlanta wasn't picked.   There's one city in America that's building supertall towers like wildfire and that has scores of super luxury towers with apartments over $50m.  This City was selected, and Atlanta was not, for many reasons.  It's the same reason that this City is the HQ to over 80 Fortune Five Hundred Companies and is home to the richest people in the world.  It's the same reason why Ivy grads go there more than to any other city and why JP Morgan Chase is tearing down a 750' tower to build a 1,566' tower on the very same spot on Park Avenue.  Amazon wanted urban, and they got it.  Lastly, notwithstanding the unparalleled urbanity, but, as shown in the last photos, travel twenty miles to the north, and one finds mountains and tranquility in centuries old historic towns.

R. Silver Photography

30897652558_d306e987dd_k.jpg

43859344395_0f86775564_k.jpg

ba158472a9c90113475369c2739517549dab462c.jpg

29832906637_b5d29192bc_k.jpg

43860182065_6fb037b803_k.jpg

30898657658_55481eb030_k.jpg

42959275230_787934a864_k.jpg

44720266542_bfd063a1a1_k.jpg

30898581718_fc83bfb973_k.jpg

A9R1va5f18_1g8mdjx_1mk.tmp

ba158472a9c90113475369c2739517549dab462c.jpg

44000141_2240077676276761_7068374595559541638_n.jpg

untitled.png

NY2.jpg

ny3.jpg

ny4.jpg

One-Vanderbilt-November-2018-11.jpg

ny10.jpg

ny11.jpg

ny1.jpg

ny2.jpg

ny3.jpg

ny4.jpg

ny6.jpg

Hudson Yard is making quite an impact on the western part of the skyline!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, KJHburg said:

And I am here to tell you that some companies will stay away from Nashville now as they will NOT want to compete with Amazon in the labor force.   Charlotte particularly can exploit that and we have a much better airport. 

Very few if any companies are going to stay away from Nashville because of Amazon. Nashville has too much appeal to prospective employees. Do you actually think there are 5,000 people in Nashville just sitting around twirling their thumbs waiting for Amazon?

Amazon is going to do what they as well as other corporations have always done no matter the city, which is recruit people from all over the country.

Nashville's ability to bring jobs or corporate relocations will not be hampered by Amazon. There is a reason why there are 10 office towers under construction. Those developers see or know something about Nashville's future business prospects.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ingram said:

Very few if any companies are going to stay away from Nashville because of Amazon. Nashville has too much appeal to prospective employees. Do you actually think there are 5,000 people in Nashville just sitting around twirling their thumbs waiting for Amazon?

Amazon is going to do what they as well as other corporations have always done no matter the city, which is recruit people from all over the country.

Nashville's ability to bring jobs or corporate relocations will not be hampered by Amazon. There is a reason why there are 10 office towers under construction. Those developers see or know something about Nashville's future business prospects.

Yeah, “We’re probably better off without Amazon” is probably sour grapes.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

No sour grapes with me in Charlotte.  I guess we will see how many will want to compete with Amazon in a smaller market.  

I don’t understand this position from many people, you don’t think 5,000 jobs paying on avg. 150k is a good thing because it *might* hamper our efforts in attracting jobs that pay such a high hourly salary?

• Like 2

I just think 5000 is pie in the sky and who knows what technology will steer future growth.   I once worked for a company in the RTP  (late 1990s) that employed 10000 people in the park alone....0 today.  Things change so fast today that business models can barely keep pace.  Not discounting Amazon or any company, simply that things change so fast it's difficult to put a lot of faith into anything 5-10 years out based on a  paper promise.

Edited by Durhamite

19 hours ago, Dale said:

It could be power of suggestion, but it already seems like Nashville developers are dusting off mothballed projects on the heels of the Amazon announcement. I expect Nashville to kick it up another notch. Who knows how long the momentum will last ?

So what?  It's time for both Charlotte and Raleigh to reassess planning and growth, the infrastructure will start to approach gridlock in some areas soon lowering QOL, not to mention the inflated cost of living which seems a bit out of whack right now.  I think both areas have already made the radar...plan and grow better is the key at this point.

Edited by Durhamite
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Durhamite said:

So what?  It's time for both Charlotte and Raleigh to reassess planning and growth, the infrastructure will start to approach gridlock in some areas soon lowering QOL, not to mention the inflated cost of living which seems a bit out of whack right now.  I think both areas have already made the radar...plan and grow better is the key at this point.

Much ado about nothing. These cities know they’re growing and are planning for it.

On 11/16/2018 at 4:26 PM, elrodvt said:

Sure, to each his own regarding the south. But it's not a good match for the supposed criteria is what I mean to say. And it won't be for many companies that want to have a "hip" vibe. If you don't care that's fine. 

Indy and Columbus should go back to square 0. Chicago is a great city that cannot figure out how to deal with a terrible crime problem. They make progress on that and they're back in everyone's top lists.

Regarding the "ruse" I'm sure there is some truth to that within the scope of what they could tolerate. It'll make for some really interesting analysis once more numbers are in. I have not read PIttsburgh's bid and had expected them to win myself. Did anyone who read it consider it much less lucrative than the accepted bids?

DC was most likely chosen due to Amazon being the frontrunner to win the multibillion dollar JEDI contract from the Pentagon and all of the benefits that come with doing business with the government in general, and NYC is NYC. We're talking about the nation's political capital and cultural/commercial capital. No other cities in the country can make up for not being those things, including Chicago, SF, LA, Boston, Chicago, etc. Certainly cities should always conduct a review after losing economic development deals to assess what could have been done differently or better, but there was nothing typical about this. NYC and DC were always the top two choices but Amazon engaged in this public reverse-RFP process in large part to collect tons of data regarding sites, workforce quality, etc. from cities all across the country and don't be surprised to see Amazon adding jobs in several of these cities going forward. 

• Like 3

On 11/17/2018 at 2:26 PM, KJHburg said:

Not what I'm saying.  5000 jobs is wonderful but in a market like Nashville it might cause other relocating firms to think twice about choosing Nashville.  Economic consultants have said such.

That's a fair point. The pace at which the 5K jobs will be added will certainly play a role. And the mentality among Nashville's leadership has got to catch up to what will soon be their reality. The "We don't want to become another Atlanta" days are clearly over, and it's rather unfortunate that sentiment included the things Atlanta got right, most notably establishing a regional rail-based transit system. Nashville is already lagging in this area and inasmuch as some have said bad traffic has discouraged corporate investment in Atlanta, what does this portend for Nashville which doesn't even have so much as an officially approved plan as of now? 

• Like 2

Speaking of Atlanta here is their official HQ2 pitch video remember everyone was chasing a 50,000 job office at the time

and to their list of corporate headquarters you can now add Norfolk Southern 

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2018/11/19/see-georgias-amazon-hq2-video-pitch.html?ana=e_me_set1&s=newsletter&ed=2018-11-19&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1542632236&j=85098861

• Like 1

On 11/18/2018 at 12:36 PM, Dale said:

Much ado about nothing. These cities know they’re growing and are planning for it.

Absolutely.  Sort of like this.."it could be power of suggestion, but it already seems like Nashville developers are dusting off mothballed projects..."  Sorry  but that is the epitome of much ado about nothing with respect to Charlotte or NC. 

18 minutes ago, Durhamite said:

Absolutely.  Sort of like this.."it could be power of suggestion, but it already seems like Nashville developers are dusting off mothballed projects..."  Sorry  but that is the epitome of much ado about nothing with respect to Charlotte or NC. 

Sounds like somebody’s a little jealous.

^ I mostly agree, although I do want to flesh out my perspective on this. And to be clear, the purpose of my post was simply to share the TBJ article, I have not seen the documents that they refer to.

On 11/21/2018 at 7:12 AM, hinsp0 said:

I think it’s worth noting that Tennessee affords no legal protection to private employees on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, and on the basis of other traits that are not formally protected under federal employment laws.  Only certain counties in Tennessee afford protections to public (governmental) employees on the basis of traits such as sexual identity and orientation, and I believe it’s a total of approximately 5 counties overall.  Thus, I don’t think former HB2 was really that big of a deterrent to Amazon’s HQ2 pursuits.

This is certainly true, but (IMO) the issue in NC wasn't the absence of protections, the problem was that the state stepped in to nullify a Mecklenburg non-discrimination ordinance. Our elected government decided to remove equal-protection from a specific group of people -- this is (IMO) much different than never passing a non-discrimination policy to begin with. Regardless of how conservative Tennessee is, at least their elected officials were smart enough not flaunt their  intolerance.

Honestly we will never know how much of a role that HB2 played in Amazon's decision (or the decisions of any other company that did not relocate to NC). What we do know  is that modern firm relocation is driven as much by optics than by actual economic conditions. Knowledge-firms select locations that will keep their employees (including CEO) happy while presenting a positive image to their customers. Since HB2 was a big middle finger to people on the middle-left of the political spectrum any company moving here will be tared with that brush.  Any company that is just slightly concerned about what their customers (or employees)  think of them will avoid the institutionalized intolerance of NC as long as they have other, equally-viable, options to choose from.

Charlotte is a fine place to live and work. But our advantages over our competitors are nowhere near big enough to make something like HB2 a non-issue in the relocation process.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1