Amazon HQ2

Popsickle

6 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

or a Carolina Heelsplitter, the endangered fresh water mussel that, with help from the economy, sunk the Bridges at Mint Hill Shopping Mall. 

Off topic but I'm originally from the literal center of the state and they're found right near my house in relative abundance! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jednc said:

I wondered about that too. No mention of Charlotte or Raleigh. Not even on the map. Who knows????

Haha, well 25 separate neighborhoods in NYC submitted bids to NYC Economic Development group so I guess you can't put all of them on there.

I think any city would be smart to present a range of options and I am sure Charlotte and NC is doing that.  This isn't Charlotte's first rodeo in terms of economic development projects (of course never this big but same process)  Urban and suburban sites would be on the list including I am sure Brooklyn, 1st Ward,  and various suburban locations.  Pitching one or two sites could get you eliminated real quick. However despite this being a huge wealthy company their hands will be out for lots of incentives.  Going to make Foxconn chase look like a poor mans game.  

We can win this but we will still win if we dont.  If one of our competitors in the region wins HQ2 we can chase after their existing companies for expansions and I am telling you other companies may not come to the chosen city as concerns about labor market.  If it goes to Boston then I think the Chamber goes after every financial firm there for example to convince them to expand in Charlotte.  Dittos for other cities.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, southslider said:

Charlotte Chamber can't even agree on which sites to market within its own region. Nearly 20 sites on their short list, and they range from North End to River District to way farther out.

I wonder about the Charlotte Chamber. I look at my wife's Southern Living magazine and see great ads for other cities in N.C. , i.e. Asheville, Greenville, Raleigh, etc. but nothing about Charlotte. They do very little promotion wise in my opinion.  I can be on a flight and read about Charlotte, but never anything from the Chamber.

According to CoStar Charlotte is the 2nd best place for Amazon Hq2 but Atlanta is top southeast location. Overall we rank 15th but I cant even find who they think is number 1.  http://www.costar.com/News/Article/CoStar-Market-Insights-Charlotte-Faces-Uphill-Battle-to-Secure-Amazons-HQ2/194624   I do believe ATL is the CLT's toughest competition for the HQ if it goes south. 

Okay I found their top list and I completely disagree it will go to the Oakland East Bay area of California. or Silicon Valley.   

http://www.costar.com/News/Article/For-Amazons-Second-HQs-Search-Bigger-May-Be-Better/194562

Honestly their list is completely wrong with a few exceptions in my opinion. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

You  will be a east coast city because that will give Amazon a 12 HQ  day.

Look at the south eastern  US for that city.  It will have a Mega airport and good interstate roads.

Only  2 cities fit that bill,  Atlanta and Charlotte.  Both are on high ground.

Discount any coastal cities or Florida due to rising oceans.   In 50 years Miami may not be their due to rising water.

Edited by RiverwoodCLT

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

According to CoStar Charlotte is the 2nd best place for Amazon Hq2 but Atlanta is top southeast location. Overall we rank 15th but I cant even find who they think is number 1.  http://www.costar.com/News/Article/CoStar-Market-Insights-Charlotte-Faces-Uphill-Battle-to-Secure-Amazons-HQ2/194624   I do believe ATL is the CLT's toughest competition for the HQ if it goes south. 

Okay I found their top list and I completely disagree it will go to the Oakland East Bay area of California. or Silicon Valley.   

http://www.costar.com/News/Article/For-Amazons-Second-HQs-Search-Bigger-May-Be-Better/194562

Honestly their list is completely wrong with a few exceptions in my opinion. 

Denver has it so good that the knock on them in this article is their unemployment is too low.  lol

Still dont think it will go to Denver. Does not help with the fact their majority customer base is east of the Mississippi and largest numbers in the eastern time zone. Better to communicate with majority of Canadians in Ontario and Quebec too.  Not to mention easier to communicate with Europe from the US east coast. 

• Like 1

I think Charlotte, Atlanta, And Other East Coast Cities have the highest chances. It's going to go to whoever ends up with the best proposal and the best scenario for their employees. The CLT Region is going to grow tremendously either way. 

I don't think it will be Cheyenne, They don't have the infrastructure to handle it.

Charlotte is a contender for sure, but its achilles heel is a weak cultural brand.  The NC/SC mountains and coasts are strong natural attractions. But I don't see anything notable regarding Charlotte's cultural institutions, and it also lags in terms of a  creative/arts/music/dining scene.  

Am I selling the QC short, or will Amazon execs see Charlotte as being too bland and sterile?  If so, the development/pitch team needs to recognize this up front, and proactively figure out a creative and compelling way to counteract it. No small challenge.      

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BullDurhamer said:

http://legal-planet.org/2017/09/11/amazons-new-urban-headquarters-could-flip-a-red-state-to-blue/

cheyenne, wyoming is the obvious choice.  bezos could not only flip a red state blue EASILY doing this, but he'd get the two senate seats with it.  

They do have the best rodeo. was that in the qualifiers?

45 minutes ago, RiverwoodCLT said:

You  will be a east coast city because that will give Amazon a 12 HQ  day.

Look at the south eastern  US for that city.  It will have a Mega airport and good interstate roads.

Only  2 cities fit that bill,  Atlanta and Charlotte.  Both are on high ground.

Discount any coastal cities or Florida due to rising oceans.   In 50 years Miami may not be their due to rising water.

In the near term I would be a lot more afraid of calamity caused by the NC Legislature than sea level rise. ;-)

Seriously after last years debacle I do think that would have to weigh on their minds.

• Like 2

I will say this...a flight from Seattle to Denver is a lot easier than a flight from Seattle to Atlanta or Charlotte.

Anyway, this Seattle Times columnist likes Dallas and Denver.  These have been the two cities that have checked the most boxes for me when looking at what I think the criteria are.  

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/amazon/amazons-second-headquarters-expect-the-unexpected/

I keep seeing references to culture and whatnot as being very important.  Cool, progressive, hip, whatever.    Is Charlotte ready to be known as a city like that?  As noted above, what is it that Charlotte offers these young tech workers?    Everything I keep reading about this seems to insist that being in a "cool" place is hugely important here.    For example, I've seen it suggested multiple places that places with liberal marijuana laws might have a head start in this. 

Then there was this, apologies if I'm duplicating previous material. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/09/09/upshot/where-should-amazon-new-headquarters-be.html

• Like 2

If I had one city right now to be the pick I think it would be Atlanta. Population, air service,  huge universities,  3rd largest film tv producer in the country etc. Lots of tech.  And if they do get it, it will be GREAT for Charlotte. We will be able to convince any company looking at Atlanta to come here because their labor market may have shortages in certain areas etc and they may not want to compete with Amazon's high wages. 

Dallas possibility but I am adamant it wont be Denver I don't care what kind of Rocky Mtn high they have or get there.   Too isolated a city, culturally the same as Seattle  in many ways and heard they want a different kind of city. 

By the way I think the Houston Rodeo is the best in the country LOL 

When by the way is this monumental decision going to be made early next year?  I still stand by the fact they should open 2-3 operational centers in different cities with different competencies. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1