Amazon HQ2

Popsickle

You haven't lived till you take the old steam train from Denver to the Cheyenne rodeo. Music, beer & incredible scenery. Very fun.

Culturally no southern city can compare to Denver of Austin. Everyone's got their own criteria of course but imho Raleigh and Charlotte aren't in that league.

If something is not driving them to the east cost I'm giving high chances to Austin or Denver.

Might just only come down to cash though...

• Like 1

Charlotte may not have the best Culture right now, But's it's growing rapidly with every millennial that moves here. Charlotte Dining is amazing, The Night life is exceptional, And the Entertainment is good. Am I calling Charlotte an Austin? No. But does Charlotte have enough Culture for Amazon? Absolutely.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, elrodvt said:

Seriously, Charlotte dining is amazing? I hate to be negative about our chances but I would call it mediocre - dominated by chains and steak places.  Maybe I don't go eat in the suburbs enough or something. I need to find the book of amazing restaurants.

I would call it Amazing. Just my opinion, But I am vegetarian and I still find it amazing with all the options. The best places aren't in the city but on the outskirts of it, Such as Pinky's Westside Grill. You haven't lived until you've been there.

9 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

I would call it Amazing. Just my opinion, But I am vegetarian and I still find it amazing with all the options. The best places aren't in the city but on the outskirts of it, Such as Pinky's Westside Grill. You haven't lived until you've been there.

I like Pinky's too., but I feel like the fact that they serve corndogs in paper boats is relevant to this discussion... 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

If I had one city right now to be the pick I think it would be Atlanta. Population, air service,  huge universities,  3rd largest film tv producer in the country etc. Lots of tech.  And if they do get it, it will be GREAT for Charlotte. We will be able to convince any company looking at Atlanta to come here because their labor market may have shortages in certain areas etc and they may not want to compete with Amazon's high wages. 

Dallas possibility but I am adamant it wont be Denver I don't care what kind of Rocky Mtn high they have or get there.   Too isolated a city, culturally the same as Seattle  in many ways and heard they want a different kind of city. 

By the way I think the Houston Rodeo is the best in the country LOL 

When by the way is this monumental decision going to be made early next year?  I still stand by the fact they should open 2-3 operational centers in different cities with different competencies. 

Atlanta makes a lot of sense.   I'd like their chances better if the Braves were still downtown though.  

36 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

I don't think that's a great argument then if you have to drive all around. I really like stringbean if I feel like driving ~ an hour for dinner. I think there are more interesting options on only a couple of blocks in either Austin or Denver than all of Charlotte. I need to watch the good restaurant thread more closely though and want to get over to Seoul.

11 hours ago, elrodvt said:

You haven't lived till you take the old steam train from Denver to the Cheyenne rodeo. Music, beer & incredible scenery. Very fun.

Culturally no southern city can compare to Denver of Austin. Everyone's got their own criteria of course but imho Raleigh and Charlotte aren't in that league.

If something is not driving them to the east cost I'm giving high chances to Austin or Denver.

Can you please explain what you are trying to say? Specifics please. I lived in Denver, I would take Charlotte over Denver any day. Take the Rockies away and you have smog and Colfax Ave.  Besides, your first sentence is  about the same as saying "You haven't lived until you've drive a Bentley  from Munich to Venice, very fun."  What does it have to do with anything?  Nothing.  Additionally, with a population where 20 percent  in Charlotte coming from other countries, what cultural aspects are we missing. Should we only allow people from Colorado and Texas to enter our city?  By the way, Austin is a southern city.  Amazon is looking for logistics, workforce, and cost of living, not scenic train rides in steam trains. 

Edited by caterpillar2

11 hours ago, elrodvt said:

Seriously, Charlotte dining is amazing? I hate to be negative about our chances but I would call it mediocre - dominated by chains and steak places.  Maybe I don't go eat in the suburbs enough or something. I need to find the book of amazing restaurants.

Uptown doesn't have the best restaurants in Charlotte IMO. They are in the neighborhoods like Dilworth, South End, Elizabeth, NoDa, Plaza Midwood, Montford, Eastover, Myers Park, South Park, etc...

• Like 2

The idea that Amazon will choose headquarters based on restaurants seems absurd, to me. The mere placement of the headquarters will cause any city to generate a more lively dining scene... 50,000 jobs paying $100k+ will do that. That's not to say that somewhere with a more "developed" dining scene won't end up with the headquarters, but I truly don't think that will even be considered.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, elrodvt said:

I don't think that's a great argument then if you have to drive all around. I really like stringbean if I feel like driving ~ an hour for dinner. I think there are more interesting options on only a couple of blocks in either Austin or Denver than all of Charlotte. I need to watch the good restaurant thread more closely though and want to get over to Seoul.

I mean. The Gold line, gold line extension  and blue line + blue line extension will get you to pretty much most of those places.  If you're that against a vehicle. And most places are within a mile or so of uptown. 

Then you have hidden gems you need a car for thats still in the city. Near garringer high school has an award winning Thai place. Etc. 

uptown is our CBD.  Even in Europe, and worse on Brazil, the high rise office towers are fortresses devoid of local flair. I think our CBD isn't so bad 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

12 minutes ago, asthasr said:

The idea that Amazon will choose headquarters based on restaurants seems absurd, to me. The mere placement of the headquarters will cause any city to generate a more lively dining scene... 50,000 jobs paying $100k+ will do that. That's not to say that somewhere with a more "developed" dining scene won't end up with the headquarters, but I truly don't think that will even be considered.

Thank you. It frustrates me when these big opportunities turn into "Charlotte doesn't have good culture" talk. Our culture is fine...we're growing like crazy and tons of people from all over the country and the world move here. We can't be all bad. We win way more than our fair share of relocations, and that's with the politics in the background. 

I don't know what all goes into this decision and Amazon might be looking for their own unique things, but like you said, bringing this many good jobs to a region makes you a DRIVER of culture and policy. If I were Amazon, a young mobile workforce in a town that attracts talent from all over, isn't too expensive, is working on good public transportation, business friendly...these are all things I would look for. And other places have it too. We'll see what they decide but we have nothing to be ashamed of from a cultural perspective. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

Can you please explain what you are trying to say? Specifics please. I lived in Denver, I would take Charlotte over Denver any day. Take the Rockies away and you have smog and Colfax Ave.  Besides, your first sentence is  about the same as saying "You haven't lived until you've drive a Bentley  from Munich to Venice, very fun."  What does it have to do with anything?  Nothing.  Additionally, with a population where 20 percent  in Charlotte coming from other countries, what cultural aspects are we missing. Should we only allow people from Colorado and Texas to enter our city?  By the way, Austin is a southern city.  Amazon is looking for logistics, workforce, and cost of living, not scenic train rides in steam trains. 

THANK YOU!!! I work at a Grocery Store in South Charlotte, I see all types of people that believe in different things, dress differently, have different lifestyles, Etc. I don’t get what Charlotte is lacking Culturally. We don’t have to have the same Culture as Denver or Austin have it, All cities are different. Our Culture will change and grow over time as many more people move here.  

P.S. I even get customers who move from  Denver and say they like it here much more.

Edited by Cadi40

Also one thing that at least in my opinion is a down size for Atlanta is IMO it’s a little too big, It’s sprawling and traffic filled and their transit system isn’t super efficient. There aren’t a whole lot of family friendly suburbs of Atlanta until you get past Buckhead. I can almost bet my life that Amazon will choose a Southern City. Luckily, If Amazon does choose Atlanta or another city, It won’t really effect us badly, CLT will still grow tremendously.

12 hours ago, elrodvt said:

The best thing you said, "Everyone's got their own criteria."

Beyond that, your opinion is duly-noted.

1 hour ago, caterpillar2 said:

Did some kid walk on your lawn this morning or something? ;-)

We were joking about the best rodeo and I was mentioning why Cheyenne from Denver is fun. Gosh... Sorry that got your feelings all hurt.

I think most people  think of Austin as a western city not southern.  Typically when referring to the south you're east of the Mississippi. But maybe that's just me.

Your posts make it obvious you live in the suburbs. I agree if you spend most of your time in the suburbs mid to major cities all appear the same. Strip malls with restaurants etc... You could be in Denver, Austin, Charlotte, San Diego or Omaha for that matter. I don't think that's what they mean when they mention culture in their RFQ.  Right or wrong what I am talking about is a entertainment district (downtown usually) where you can walk around past dozens of great restaurants and pick one on a whim. 

There have been many mentions of what CLT is missing from myself and others. People with their eyes wide shut to that are not helping us move forward. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, caterpillar2 said:

Denver definitely has a smog problem.  Global warming is also going to affect a city like Denver quite a bit going forward and could be something Amazon considers.   With that said, if you haven't been to Denver lately, you'd be surprised to see just how much it has grown in recent years.    Colfax isn't really even on anybody's radar at this point.  

7 minutes ago, BullDurhamer said:

Denver definitely has a smog problem.  Global warming is also going to affect a city like Denver quite a bit going forward and could be something Amazon considers.   With that said, if you haven't been to Denver lately, you'd be surprised to see just how much it has grown in recent years.    Colfax isn't really even on anybody's radar at this point.  

Yeah I wonder if it's improved though with them aggressively shutting down the coal plants? 

I lived there 4 years and almost never went  down Colfax. Even going out to the science museum and zoo I preferred other streets. It is seedy...

Interesting article from the Denver Post about how the state of Colorado doesn't currently have enough tech workers to support a 50,000 person campus. Unemployment is less than 2% in the state for tech workers. Colorado's 4 year university system only produces 1,200 computer science graduates per year. There are a total of 34,500 unemployed people in all of metro Denver, in any field. A campus like Amazon would be serious strains on the labor market in a geographically isolated area requiring 80%+ of the workforce to be imported from outside of the state. The impact on smaller tech companies would be great, as Amazon could outbid them and offer better benefits for workers, forcing smaller tech companies to consider alternate locations. 

Just an interesting take on how a place with a very low unemployment rate and strong economy, could actually see some negative ripple effects to existing businesses who are already struggling to find talent. 

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/09/22/amazon-second-headquarters-colorado-labor-market-shortage/

Further, Denver's migration patterns are similar to Seattle's. Denver attracts people re-locating from California, Washington, Oregon, Arizona, New Mexico, Illinois, and Texas. It is a similar pattern for Seattle so they aren't really tapping into a new labor pool for people looking to re-locate. A location further east allows Amazon to better tap into talent from New England, the Mid-Atlantic, Ohio, Michigan, and the Southeast. People still care about being close to family, even re-locating millennials. Being a 1 hour flight from home or driving distance is a major decision in where young people re-locate. I think Amazon has exhausted the labor market in Seattle and out West. They already are recruiting heavily from California universities to fill positions because the University of Washington can't keep up with their growth rate. Denver will also heavily rely on California universities due to their state 4 year university system having the same weakness as Washington's. If they go further east, a whole new pool of universities opens up to recruit young talent. 

Edited by CLT2014

18 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

There have been many mentions of what CLT is missing from myself and others. People with their eyes wide shut to that are not helping us move forward. 

From my perspective, it seems like you are very dismissive and critical of Charlotte in many of your posts.  I love San Diego and talk about it (too much for most I'm sure).  However, I made a decision to move to Charlotte and love it also.  They are different and Charlotte will never have some things that SD has (mostly the weather, beach, topography, trees).  Nonetheless, overall I've decided that Charlotte is a better place for me and my family.  You don't have to love it and constructive criticism is welcome.  But, when most of your comments indicate that you don't like Charlotte and/or it could never compare to Denver, it does get tiresome.  Just my opinion, I could certainly be wrong...

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, JBS said:

Just my opinion, I could certainly be wrong...

I actually blocked @elrodvt at one point because I grew tired of the constant criticism of Charlotte and praise of Denver.  I have been to Denver many times and really like it.  It is a great city, but it is not like it is a world class city far superior to Charlotte.  Making that assessment doesn't mean my eyes are wide shut.  

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 3