Amazon HQ2

Popsickle

9 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

I thought one of the requirements was that the "city" had to have a population of 1 million or more. Raleigh isn't close.  Is Amazon considering metro populations? 

The RFP says they have a preference for a metro area with more than 1 million people.  Raleigh's MSA is nearly 1.3.   If you include Durham and Chapel Hill, which would be reasonable IMO, it's over 2 million.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, teeg said:

The RFP says they have a preference for a metro area with more than 1 million people.  Raleigh's MSA is nearly 1.3.   If you include Durham and Chapel Hill, which would be reasonable IMO, it's over 2 million. 

What Raleigh has going for it - in my mind - is the proximity to high quality schools. But I do not find a 2hr drive for a recruiting event to be a barrier for Charlotte. Plus CLT infrastructure is arguably more ready for the influx of a HQ2.

What also would kill Raleigh is its airport.  It is no where near the size of CLT .  it is not in the top 25 airports in the USA it is the 39th busiest airport in the USA where as CLT is now the 10  busiest.  It is no where near the size of CLT.

https://www.world-airport-codes.com/us-top-40-airports.html

Edited by RiverwoodCLT

24 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

I know that Denver has grown over the years in both good and bad ways. I also know that it is a cool city.   I'm not saying that I don't like Denver, I do.   It is just elrdovt often makes idiotic comparisons between cities and his justification is normally unitelligible. If the dude bases his judgement on his trip of a lifetime from Denver to  Cheyenne (or wherever in Wyoming)  on the steam train, he's probably not very credible.  He should visit Tweetsie Railroad, he will never leave the mountain.  (:

I thought one of the requirements was that the "city" had to have a population of 1 million or more. Raleigh isn't close.  Is Amazon considering metro populations? 

I'm sure lots of things are incompressible to you.

You seem unable to even understand a joke about a rodeo and a couple simple follow-ups.

4 hours ago, elrodvt said:

We were joking about the best rodeo and I was mentioning why Cheyenne from Denver is fun. Gosh... Sorry that got your feelings all hurt.

I think most people  think of Austin as a western city not southern.  Typically when referring to the south you're east of the Mississippi. But maybe that's just me.

Your posts make it obvious you live in the suburbs. I agree if you spend most of your time in the suburbs mid to major cities all appear the same. Strip malls with restaurants etc... You could be in Denver, Austin, Charlotte, San Diego or Omaha for that matter. I don't think that's what they mean when they mention culture in their RFQ.  Right or wrong what I am talking about is a entertainment district (downtown usually) where you can walk around past dozens of great restaurants and pick one on a whim. 

There have been many mentions of what CLT is missing from myself and others. People with their eyes wide shut to that are not helping us move forward. 

I think you are not a person with credibility and very little  knowledge. You don't hurt my feelings. The thought of your saying that is a hoot.  It is easy to see that you are not from here, don't know the area, and would move to another city if you had enough smarts. The idea that you think that culture is based on dozens of great restaurants is also a hoot.  Check out local entertainment mags, maybe Creative Loafing?

3 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

I'm sure lots of things are incompressible to you.

You seem unable to even understand a joke about a rodeo and a couple simple follow-ups.

Get over it.

3 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Easy... still has plenty of time to derail itself...

Soon as markets like Charlotte have Trumps, Nashvilles have "Signature Towers" and Denver's are getting supretalls is when the boom has its last legs, and someone wants to attempt one last splash.

10 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Soon as markets like Charlotte have Trumps, Nashvilles have "Signature Towers" and Denver's are getting supretalls is when the boom has its last legs, and someone wants to attempt one last splash.

Do you think we will at least get everything that is under construction now finished?  

17 minutes ago, teeg said:

Do you think we will at least get everything that is under construction now finished?  

I think we will have plenty left in our cycle. I just really don't think that Denver proposal gets off the ground.

7 minutes ago, teeg said:

Thanks, that's a relief.  Was suddenly having flashbacks of The Park.

Well, you bring up an interesting point. There will be construction labor and materials shortfalls thanks to Houston, Florida, and possibly Puerto Rico (if trump lets them rebuild)

Heres something to watch, a increase in lumber price that makes building with steel and concrete more feasible. Wouldn't that be neat.

Edited by Guest

57 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think we will have plenty left in our cycle. I just really don't think that Denver proposal gets off the ground.

Yeah, I agree, that seems awfully ambitious! That said, there are other residential buildings under construction downtown there - one right near union station. Why do we only get apartments which aren't even suitable for conversion? Chicken and Egg scenario IMHO with downtown not being interesting enough yet to drive the prices but people not moving business downtown due to lack of people. Gotta break that cycle somehow.  May also have a to do with this legal change : http://www.denverpost.com/2017/05/04/colorado-condo-construction-defects-bill/  . That's still an issue here right?

Edited by elrodvt

2 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Yeah, I agree, that seems awfully ambitious! That said, there are other residential buildings under construction downtown there - one right near union station. Why do we only get apartments which aren't even suitable for conversion? Chicken and Egg scenario IMHO with downtown not being interesting enough yet to drive the prices but people not moving business downtown due to lack of people. Gotta break that cycle somehow. 

Theres going to be one conversion this cycle that I know of, at least rumored. Theres a reason in the code that keeps it from happening very easier, not to mention it takes a few years to accomplish, as you must wait for each least to the leases to expire.

I guess it's just my personal needs but the only building I would consider buying into is the Vue. Not crazy about the location but the quality and unit sizes are a much more suitable. Especially the later. .. Which makes sense since it was a "reverse" conversion!

Lease expiration I hadn't thought of but it is a lot less onerous than risking a deposit on something not yet built right?

RDF, what about that legal change in Denver. Any insight on that holding us back? http://www.denverpost.com/2017/05/04/colorado-condo-construction-defects-bill/

Edited by elrodvt

No 1000s would not leave Charlotte for Raleigh or Durham if Amazon went there.  It would attract people from all over the region and the east coast.  As I have said before Charlotte will be fine and thrive with or without Amazon.   If it goes to the Triangle area other tech firms would strongly consider here just as Infosys did. They went to Raleigh but they strongly looked at Charlotte.     And I dont believe for one minute Amazon will announce HQ2 in Seattle or any city in the Pacific and  likely Mountain time zones.  

As for condo conversions new condos in NC have a 5-7 year I can't remember exactly time period for which HOAs can insist on defects to be taken care of. Eventually several uptown apartment towers will convert to condos and yes I think the Vue will someday convert back. It has happened in Atlanta with the 46 story Atlantic. Built as condos converted to rentals now being converted back to condos. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

"this timeline" 

All they are requesting is room for 500,000 sq feet of office in 2018. Their buildout to 8,000,000 sq feet isn't until 2027.

A lot of things can change in 10 years.  What won't change is already existing mass transit lines.  Remember when the Red Line was next?  Would have sucked to speculate office space off that, no?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BullDurhamer said:

holy smokes, check out this brand spanking new proposal for denver...

https://denverinfill.com/blog/2017/09/new-project-650-17th-street.html

Living in Denver, I  (as well as many other people here) would be shocked if this comes to fruition as is.  I think the general consensus is that it will be built, but as a much more scaled down version.  There are tons of highrise apartments going up downtown, especially near Union Station.  This project is very preliminary and wreaks of Signature Tower in Nashville.

EDIT: according to this Denver Post article, one of the partners on this project has it outlined as 75 stories and 800 ft. Not 90 stories and 1000 ft.  The team working on it isn't even on the same page yet.

Edited by queensguy06