Amazon HQ2

Popsickle

I think Amazon is just way too concentrated in Seattle  and yet the majority of their customers are east of the Mississippi River. That is why I think all speculation of any west coast, Mtn west city hosting this new HQ2 is futile in my opinion.  As all the west coast tech companies have gotten bigger they have established large offices elsewhere in the country.  Amazon really hasn't from what I see. Apple has a huge campus in Austin for example.  Microsoft has a campus here in Charlotte and i think in Dallas as well.  Just as TIAA found out after 9/11 having your data center and some much concentration in one city can have its pitfalls.  (Their data center was in lower Manhattan and now is in University Research Park here) You can have distributions center everywhere but as you grow as large as Amazon needs some geographic diversity as well.   I just heard Brooklyn developers are coming together for their proposal too. This is the biggest elephant hunt in the history of economic development in the US. 

• Like 2

Yes Amazon is quite the White Whale of a catch. You'll stop at nothing to get it, even sell the farm to make it happen, and when you finally do, you will live like a king for a generation, and when you die your children will remember you with infamy as the one who caught the one that should have never been caught.

I don't know if that metaphor works all the way.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

We have a few people in this thread alone who are talented/persuasive writers, so I couldn't help but wonder who is editing/reviewing any proposals we submit.  So at the CRP and Chamber, is there that level of talent, and transparency?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article172576831.html?CID=9370888&BSD_SID=30745

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

I think Amazon is just way too concentrated in Seattle  and yet the majority of their customers are east of the Mississippi River. That is why I think all speculation of any west coast, Mtn west city hosting this new HQ2 is futile in my opinion.  As all the west coast tech companies have gotten bigger they have established large offices elsewhere in the country.  Amazon really hasn't from what I see. Apple has a huge campus in Austin for example.  Microsoft has a campus here in Charlotte and i think in Dallas as well.  Just as TIAA found out after 9/11 having your data center and some much concentration in one city can have its pitfalls.  (Their data center was in lower Manhattan and now is in University Research Park here) You can have distributions center everywhere but as you grow as large as Amazon needs some geographic diversity as well.   I just heard Brooklyn developers are coming together for their proposal too. This is the biggest elephant hunt in the history of economic development in the US. 

2/3 of the US population is on or east of the Mississippi.  Minneapolis, St. Paul, and St. Louis (plus other sizable cities) are on the west bank.

18 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

^I think they will be able to handle it.

Forgive a slight amount of cynicism, but mostly curiosity, why do you think they can handle it?  Don't mean the standard fare product, rather that rare 1% level of  professional.

Edited by nowensone
tense

1 minute ago, Windsurfer said:

Something else to consider: Wasn't Amazon breaking out into banking?  We certainly have that talent covered.

I never heard that rumor but if they do, Amazon will absolutely be broken up with 10 years.  And I'm already inclined to think that a move for HQ2 is an anticipatory move by Amazon because they do fear anti-trust issues in the future.  Having an additional HQ setup and running will mitigate breakup issues. 

1 minute ago, nowensone said:

Forgive a slight amount of cynicism, but mostly curiosity, why do think they can handle it?  Didn't mean the standard fare product, rather that rare 1% level of  professional.

I've been impressed by most of the folks I have met that work for the Chamber.  I haven't met anyone in economic dev. for Charlotte, but I've met other regional economic development professionals and all have been pretty sharp cookies.

51 minutes ago, Popsickle said:

I never heard that rumor but if they do, Amazon will absolutely be broken up with 10 years.  And I'm already inclined to think that a move for HQ2 is an anticipatory move by Amazon because they do fear anti-trust issues in the future.  Having an additional HQ setup and running will mitigate breakup issues. 

Interesting thought. Hadn't considered that, but it makes sense.

Yes I had not heard banking from Amazon but they might be interested. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-tip-toes-into-banking-business-1469093403

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/april-rudin/future-of-banking-will-google-or-amazon-be-your-future-bank_b_8921888.html

and guess who does their credit cards?  Synchrony which has a major office in Ballantyne. 

However there would be an uproar in DC if they got into it in a big way. However Nordstrom has a bank and so does Walmart. 

• Like 1

"Amazon Fever Strikes NC" could be headline

Raleigh we are in to win!

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article173143576.html

Charlotte we are in to win!

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/gov-cooper-hopes-nc-can-lure-amazon-were-the-place-for-them/608674283

I do think it speaks to strength of NC to be putting in 2 bids

• Like 1

Amazon denies Boston is the front runner.  What cities is Boston cheaper than NY and San Fran?  I cant imagine it is cheaper than Seattle. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/news/2017/09/12/amazon-hq2-boston-denies-report-front-runner.html?ana=e_ae_set3&s=article_du&ed=2017-09-13&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1505342874&j=78818731

According to this Boston 2.85% more expensive than Seattle based on 100K salary in both cities

Charlotte you ask? 31% cheaper!    Have fun boys and girls and compare cities to Seattle http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving-cost-of-living-calculator.aspx

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

As per many articles, Boston is Amazon's preferred destination.  However, if Atlanta or Dallas give more money, they will get it.

Amazon came out and stated, ..all cities are on a level playing field, there are no favorites.  

Edited by Popsickle
  • Like 1

• HINT everything for the most part cheaper is in the Queen City.   Why are beauty shops and coffee so much more in Seattle?  and why is bowling so much more in the QC?  
  •  
  • Product
  • Seattle-Bellevue-Everett WA Metro Div. - Seattle WA
  • Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia NC-SC Metro
  • Difference
  • Home Price
  • $548,187.00
  • $244,546.67
  • $303,640.33
  • Apt. Rent
  • $1,980.22
  • $879.72
  • $1,100.50
  • Payment + Interest
  • $1,933.54
  • $862.64
  • $1,070.90
  • All Electrical
  • $178.75
  • $170.61
  • $8.14
  • Total Energy
  • $178.75
  • $170.61
  • $8.14
  • Optometrist
  • $139.39
  • $118.48
  • $20.91
  • Dentist Visit
  • $125.99
  • $97.23
  • $28.76
  • Washer Repair
  • $77.89
  • $71.79
  • $6.10
  • Vet. Services
  • $59.79
  • $58.14
  • $1.65
  • Tire Balance
  • $55.51
  • $39.26
  • $16.24
  • Beauty Salon
  • $52.26
  • $36.82
  • $15.44
  • Women's Slacks
  • $39.33
  • $34.29
  • $5.04
  • Men's Shirt
  • $32.17
  • $33.83
  • $1.67
  • News Paper
  • $27.10
  • $15.57
  • $11.53
  • Boy's Jeans
  • $23.66
  • $24.46
  • $0.80
  • Hair Cut
  • $21.92
  • $12.47
  • $9.45
  • Dry Cleaning
  • $19.26
  • $9.81
  • $9.45
  • T.Bone Steak
  • $12.02
  • $11.68
  • $0.34
  • Ibuprofen
  • $10.35
  • $8.26
  • $2.09
  • Cascade
  • $7.21
  • $5.13
  • $2.08
  • Bowling
  • $5.92
  • $8.27
  • $2.35
  • Coffee
  • $5.76
  • $4.15
  • $1.61
  • 2-pc Chicken
  • $5.64
  • $2.94
  • $2.69
  • Sausage
  • $5.42
  • $4.52
  • $0.91
  • Parmesan Cheese
  • $5.10
  • $3.78
  • $1.32
  • Hamburger Sandwich
  • $4.73
  • $3.42
  • $1.31
  • Ground Beef
  • $4.39
  • $4.82
  • $0.42
  • Canola Oil
  • $4.13
  • $2.92
  • $1.22
  • Orange Juice
  • $4.11
  • $3.48
  • $0.63
  • Potato Chips
  • $3.96
  • $3.50
  • $0.46
  • Tennis Balls
  • $3.76
  • $2.64
  • $1.12
  • Toothpaste
  • $3.39
  • $2.71
  • $0.68
  • Frozen Meal
  • $3.05
  • $2.81
  • $0.23
  • Gasoline
  • $2.87
  • $2.39
  • $0.48
  • Peaches
  • $2.84
  • $2.55
  • $0.30
  • Dozen Eggs
  • $2.38
  • $2.03
  • $0.35
  • Frozen Corn
  • $2.36
  • $1.15
  • $1.20
  • Half Gal. Milk
  • $2.22
  • $2.34
  • $0.12
  • Potatoes
  • $2.20
  • $3.65
  • $1.45
  • Fried Chicken
  • $1.86
  • $1.44
  • $0.41
  • Lettuce
  • $1.63
  • $1.39
  • $0.24
  • Sweet Peas
  • $1.58
  • $1.09
  • $0.50
  • Margarine
  • $1.21
  • $1.19
  • $0.02
  • Shampoo
  • $1.13
  • $1.18
  • $0.04
  • Bananas
  • $0.71
  • $0.60
  • $0.11

• Read more: http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving-cost-of-living-calculator.aspx#ixzz4sbPnPlHN 
    Follow us: @Bankrate on Twitter | Bankrate on Facebook
Edited by KJHburg
  • Thanks 1

I think Charlotte has a real chance. I can say that Amazon will most likely choose a City on the East Coast, It would be quite dumb if they choose a spot that isn't EST. One of Charlottes setbacks is Tech Talent, Which there is a lot, But compared to other cities not so much. If Amazon were to choose Charlotte, 1) They would re-locate talented workers, 2) Other talented technology workers would move from others Cities like Raleigh or Atlanta. Charlotte has many cool and trendy neighborhoods such as Southend, NoDa, Plaza-Midwood, Dilworth, Elizabeth, Etc. One of many things going for Charlotte is that it's very cheap to live here compared to Other major cities, That's why I think they aren't going to go with NYC, Washington, Or even Boston. One thing I don't understand in a lot of Articles is "Culture". Charlotte has ton of it, And It's continuously ranked the City with the most Millennials moving to it, So the Culture is only going to get better from here.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

I think Charlotte has a real chance. I can say that Amazon will most likely choose a City on the East Coast, It would be quite dumb if they choose a spot that isn't EST. One of Charlottes setbacks is Tech Talent, Which there is a lot, But compared to other cities not so much. If Amazon were to choose Charlotte, 1) They would re-locate talented workers, 2) Other talented technology workers would move from others Cities like Raleigh or Atlanta. Charlotte has many cool and trendy neighborhoods such as Southend, NoDa, Plaza-Midwood, Dilworth, Elizabeth, Etc. One of many things going for Charlotte is that it's very cheap to live here compared to Other major cities, That's why I think they aren't going to go with NYC, Washington, Or even Boston. One thing I don't understand in a lot of Articles is "Culture". Charlotte has ton of it,And It's continuously ranked the City with the most Millennials moving to it, So the Culture is only going to get better from here.

I'm a millennial and one of my life goals is to move to Charlotte with the love of my life within the next decade. Want to pay off my new car first. LOL. I'd love to go to work at Amazon because I believe (from what I've read) that they offer good benefits and treat their employees better than some other companies. So you can imagine my strong support for the city getting this and hope they do.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's not surprising that Boston is the front-runner or that Amazon is denying the leaked report.  They want Dallas and Atlanta to offer massive concessions that Boston will be forced to match.

however, NY and Boston fit Amazon's needs better than other cities.

Why are you so sure it is Boston? Do you have some kind of inside information and you would have to be pretty high up in Amazon to be so.  If Boston Dallas and Atlanta are the 3 leaders and they maybe they are I dont know why not just pitch them against each other?  I know Amazon has sniffed around Atlanta looking for 500K of space but why go through this national charade? Why not do what every other company does and announce a short list and then have them bid against themselves.  Yes Boston has huge number of graduates but will they work for Amazon or want to go out to Silicon Valley like Mark Zuckerberg did with the Facebook.  Does Amazon have a large number of MIT and Harvard grads now in their leadership I don't know. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's not surprising that Boston is the front-runner or that Amazon is denying the leaked report.  They want Dallas and Atlanta to offer massive concessions that Boston will be forced to match.

however, NY and Boston fit Amazon's needs better than other cities.

True, But both very expensive. NYC wouldn't work too well Because it would be hard for all 30K Employees to find an Apartment let alone afford one. Boston is good but I believe Amazon won't make up their mind till after they have the Proposals. I hope Charlotte does a good job with this, If we got this it would be something that would guarantee growth for at least the next 50 years. I firmly believe Amazon will pick an east coast city. I don't think they will pick Atlanta because it's Atlanta, LOL. It has high crime rates in areas, Lot's of people moving out, And not ideal for families. Raleigh is a good pick but I don't think they are a big enough city to handle Amazon just yet, However I could be wrong. I have faith that Charlotte will be picked or at least close to being picked. Everything is meant to happen for a reason. One thing helping is that Amazon has a hub at CLT and has a regional office here. 

• Like 2