Amazon HQ2

Popsickle

18 minutes ago, mpretori said:

That’s actually not true.  The elite flock there.  It attracts more Ivy grads than any other city.  The New Yorkers that leave and come here tend to be blue collar people from Worn out towns in LI.   No one moves from Scarsdale, Rye, Armonk, Kings Point, etc to come here.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

That’s actually not true.  The elite flock there.  It attracts more Ivy grads than any other city.  The New Yorkers that leave and come here tend to be blue collar people from Worn out towns in LI.   No one moves from Scarsdale, Rye, Armonk, Kings Point, etc to come here.

I would never go to NYC and i'm white collar.  No state income tax here means I can use that money for a European vacation! If you want to say that the US Census data is wrong then okay. :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mpretori said:

I would never go to NYC and i'm white collar.  No state income tax here means I can use that money for a European vacation! If you want to say that the US Census data is wrong then okay. :rolleyes:

I don’t get it. Who wouldn’t want to live three to a studio to be a worker drone ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, mpretori said:

The richest people in the world want to be there.  "White collar" means many things.  If you make $150,000/year and can't afford to live in New York, then Charlotte, Atlanta, Tampa, Nashville, etc. are great.

Edited by SydneyCarton

The tech giants are learning what the defense giants learned long ago. As a national and international business one must have centers across the country to supply political pressure from many loci. The more senators you have in your pocket the better you will be treated in Washington, D. C.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kermit said:

^ sure, but it’s actually lower and middle income people who are leaving. Today’s WSJ tells us that those cities are getting much wealthier than the places where these people are going.

Which is better for a city, more people or more money?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/where-you-should-move-to-make-the-most-money-americas-superstar-cities-11544850010

Use your billions to buy a condo in Manhattan.  You will be fulfilled!

D5971023-2D31-4DE2-9BB3-F8F24182BB81.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

"Instead, [NYC] leaders seem hopelessly invested in importing a race of supermen for the supercity, living high above the clouds. Jetting about the world so swiftly and silently, they are barely visible. A city of glass houses where no one’s ever home. A city of tourists. An empty city."

-- Kevin Baker --

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sorry to interrupt this discussion on the Amazon HQ2 which they lied about by the way and broke into two locations after saying it was one 50,000 job prospect. 

sorry to interrupt the discussion on Apple when back in Jan. when their search was first announced they said it would be outside of California and Texas.  

Isn't this gingerbread house at the Ritz Carlton pretty?  It even has it own train system!   

IMG_7092.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KJHburg said:

sorry to interrupt this discussion on the Amazon HQ2 which they lied about by the way and broke into two locations after saying it was one 50,000 job prospect. 

sorry to interrupt the discussion on Apple when back in Jan. when their search was first announced they said it would be outside of California and Texas.  

Isn't this gingerbread house at the Ritz Carlton pretty?

IMG_7092.JPG

Did they get a Tiger Grant for elevated rail through the front door ?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

Isn't this gingerbread house at the Ritz Carlton pretty?

IMG_7092.JPG

Most delicious dilworth bungalow replica I’ve ever seen.  But where’s the Krispy Kreme?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, hinsp0 said:

Most delicious dilworth bungalow replica I’ve ever seen.  But where’s the Krispy Kreme?

Two years ago I was in Trader Joe Metropolitan and there was a large box, about the dimension of my side tabletop, of gingerbread house  components. Gingerbread wall sections and roof, with icing squeeze containers, jelly beans and hard candy, all to assemble and decorate. It looked like a fun afternoon entertainment for a family to share the assembly. On the side of the box was the nutritional information. Serving size: One box.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, nativetenn said:

I possess no Ivy degree nor billions of dollars, and I will never be able to afford a penthouse in New York City. I prefer the affordability of places like Tennessee and North Carolina. Therefore, I must have an inferiority complex.

You seem prone to great exaggeration.

Meanwhile, in the Mississippi Delta people can't believe anyone would pay to live in Nashville. Unless they were a multi millionaire and could live in a penthouse.

To each his own.

But, Trying to run down the best Urban environment in America to justify your choice is an inferiority complex. I'm not saying your posts did that but it's a general theme whenever someplace beats us out on something.

1 minute ago, elrodvt said:

Meanwhile, in the Mississippi Delta people can't believe anyone would pay to live in Nashville. Unless they were a multi millionaire and could live in a penthouse.

To each his own.

But, Trying to run down the best Urban environment in America to justify your choice is an inferiority complex. I'm not saying your posts did that but it's a general theme whenever someplace beats us out on something.

Disney World is the Happiest Place On Earth But I wouldn’t want to live there.

42 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

To each his own.

Nobody here is against urban environments. if we were, we would not be here. People seek urban environments that are affordable, which is why many are fleeing NYC to Charlotte.  Here in Tampa it's extremely affordable and the cost of living is low.  For the rich only investing in NYC is hogwash. Bill Gates is funding $3+ billion dollar waterstreet in Tampa that will double everything downtown in 5 years. 

AR-312049505.jpg&MaxW=1200&Q=66

Edited by mpretori
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Nobody here is against urban environments. if we were, we would not be here. People seek urban environments that are affordable, which is why many are fleeing NYC to Charlotte.  Here in Tampa it's extremely affordable and the cost of living is low.  For the rich only investing in NYC is hogwash. Bill Gates is funding $3+ billion dollar waterstreet in Tampa that will double everything downtown in 5 years. 

AR-312049505.jpg&MaxW=1200&Q=66

That'll be cool. I heard the ballpark died though? What happened there? Too bad.