Amazon HQ2

Popsickle

18 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

That'll be cool. I heard the ballpark died though? What happened there? Too bad.

Don't know, but saved taxpayers $400M dollars. This was announced shortly after....  Another development that will double another section in Tampa's urban population...Keep in mind Tampa didn't spend $3+ billion dollars to subsidize these projects like Amazon is. 

v3jAh5t.png

spE9PDe.png

4 hours ago, elrodvt said:

You just can't stop can you?

4 hours ago, Dale said:

I’d love too. But then I’d have to tell you to get a life.

I come to these forums to enjoy reading on development, not to see people toss petty comments at each other. Stop it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This isn’t directed at anyone here. It’s an all around comment.

There are sooooo many sour grapes about Amazon (and Apple). Lots of people didn’t even want Amazon to begin with, it’s not that great, there’s better opportunities out there. (But meanwhile, NYC, DC, Chicago and plenty of others threw billions to them, towns renamed themselves temporarily, etc etc. yeah, some liberals are upset. But I would say that’s a minority. There was a poll that found New Yorkers are happy Amazon is coming. Everyone in DC seems pretty intrigued and even excited Amazon is coming. Sure, you can find articles about people protesting. But that’s a minority.

Not to mention, the pettiness of me who had to read allll the RDU posters nonstop say how Charlotte wasn’t considered and Raleigh was. Their local media was so giddy about that. Now all of a sudden, it’s a sham, it was all a ploy to get DC and NYC anyway, good riddance, etc etc. okkkkk

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

NY is giving Amazon less than other cities had planned.  Anyway, NY's status as the No. 2 tech center keeps snowballing.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-17/google-to-invest-more-than-1-billion-in-new-york-city-expansion?srnd=premium

https://www.ft.com/content/aabcb302-01e7-11e9-99df-6183d3002ee1

Edited by SydneyCarton

The Observer has done a public records request and they have verified that my rantings about the perception of NC are not off base. It appears that the CRVA has been spending $2 million extra per year to market Charlotte and remediate our sullied reputation.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article223045445.html

The article also reminds me that six states still ban official travel to NC.

I'll reiterate my earlier statement: Imagine how much better we would be doing if we didn't have to fight against this image.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kermit said:

The Observer has done a public records request and they have verified that my rantings about the perception of NC are not off base. It appears that the CRVA has been spending $2 million extra per year to market Charlotte and remediate our sullied reputation.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article223045445.html

The article also reminds me that six states still ban official travel to NC.

I'll reiterate my earlier statement: Imagine how much better we would be doing if we didn't have to fight against this image.

If a state still has a issue with HB2 then it's for malice purposes. I think the compromise was adequate and rolled back HB2. Fact is people are leaving places like New York City, Chicago, and Detroit who have astronomical crime and high taxes to beautiful Charlotte.  Better to spend your savings at Ruth Chris's than eat ramen shoved in a studio apartment in NYC. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mpretori said:

If a state still has a issue with HB2 then it's for malice purposes. I think the compromise was adequate and rolled back HB2. Fact is people are leaving places like New York City, Chicago, and Detroit who have astronomical crime and high taxes to beautiful Charlotte.  Better to spend your savings at Ruth Chris's than eat ramen shoved in a studio apartment in NYC. 

Your inferiority complex vis-à-vis NY is substantial.  By the way, New York City is growing, and it has the least amount of crime of any major US city by a very wide margin.  There's a reason why it's the home to the richest people in the world (i.e., because it's the best city).

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Your inferiority complex vis-à-vis NY is substantial.  By the way, New York City is growing, and it has the least amount of crime of any major US city by a very wide margin.  There's a reason why it's the home to the richest people in the world (i.e., because it's the best city).

Wealth has nothing to do with being the best city. 

Thats like saying Ballantyne and the South Charlotte wedge is the best part of the city because it’s the wealthiest part. I don’t think NY is all that great because I prefer European and South American cities over it.    

Have you been out of the USA?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Wealth has nothing to do with being the best city. 

Thats like saying Ballantyne and the South Charlotte wedge is the best part of the city because it’s the wealthiest part. I don’t think NY is all that great because I prefer European and South American cities over it.    

Have you been out of the USA?

I lived in Europe for many years and have been to almost every continent.  Wealth isn't what makes NY the greatest city.  It's because it's the greatest city that the richest people flock there.

TBJ reports on an ED conference in Cary on Tuesday. The CEO of the Raleigh Chamber (Adrienne Cole) and a Site Selection consultant from New Jersey (John Boyd) said the following about Apple's decision:

Chung declined to outline what the state offered Apple before it turned to Texas (“Next question,” he said), but Boyd theorizes social politics – not just incentives and talent – may have played into the decision.

“Social policy plays a role in economic development today,” he said, referencing measures on HB2 and voter ID.

“Uncertainty is not great for economic development,” Cole said, not mentioning Apple or Amazon directly. “So companies don’t want to have surprises, and John’s right. The social policy area is an area of concern.” 

I am just quoting what the press is reporting, no editorializing here.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2018/12/18/north-carolina-officials-we-know-why-we-lost.html

Edited by kermit

12 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Because the average person loves to spend 60%+ of their income on rent and tax and eat ramen in a shared studio.  But that's alright because the rich are right next door in their penthouse. if you vouch for NYC so much MOVE from Chapel Hill to NYC. Practice what you preach! People in NC love their low taxes and standard of living! :tw_grin: 

4 hours ago, kermit said:

TBJ reports on an ED conference in Cary on Tuesday. The CEO of the Raleigh Chamber (Adrienne Cole) and a Site Selection consultant from New Jersey (John Boyd) said the following about Apple's decision:

I am just quoting what the press is reporting, no editorializing here.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2018/12/18/north-carolina-officials-we-know-why-we-lost.html

Is Chung or Boyd on Apple's board or the development team? 

Edited by mpretori
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The greatest city in the world adds another jewel to its tech crown!

https://therealdeal.com/2018/12/19/facebook-is-eyeing-one-madison-avenue/

The rich are going to get richer. The challenge is going to be for the worker having to fend for themselves in the city which increasingly consists of gazillionnaires living in the clouds and everyone else lives three to a studio.

4 minutes ago, Dale said:

The rich are going to get richer. The challenge is going to be for the worker having to fend for themselves in the city which increasingly consists of gazillionnaires living in the clouds and everyone else lives three to a studio.

Isn’t this the epitome of free market economies?

You are starting to sound a bit anti-capitalist Dale.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

25 sites, lol.

Its laughable that the folks putting the bid together lacked the confidence (and political pull) to narrow that down to 1 or possibly 2 options. Better discipline wouldn't have made a difference in this case but it will certainly be a factor in the future.

Edited by kermit

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:00 PM, mpretori said:

Because the average person loves to spend 60%+ of their income on rent and tax and eat ramen in a shared studio.  But that's alright because the rich are right next door in their penthouse. if you vouch for NYC so much MOVE from Chapel Hill to NYC. Practice what you preach! People in NC love their low taxes and standard of living! :tw_grin: 

Is Chung or Boyd on Apple's board or the development team? 

While I prefer NY, I very much like Charlotte and Chapel Hill.  In any event, I'm here for my wife's career at one of the greatest hospitals and universities in the world.

P.S.: 2018 was an off year for NY condos since there were none over $100m (including the prior year's record purchase of a penthouse at 220 CPS for $250 million... that's right $250m for a single apartment), but the market for $50m+ apartments remains very strong.  As noted, the cream of the crop still flock to NY.  Those who can't make it in NY flee.

1. 520 Park Avenue, #DPH60

Copy Link
520 Park Ave
New York, NY 10065

Sold for: $73.8 million

James Dyson, inventor of pricey vacuum cleaners and hair dryers, was the buyer behind the most expensive home sold this year. Dyson purchased an apartment in the Robert A.M. Stern-designed tower for a cool $74 million. The penthouse comes with six bedrooms and more than 270 square feet of outdoor space.

Edited by SydneyCarton