Amazon HQ2

Popsickle

I think Amazon wants to be in an Urban setting. I think their ideal plan is for it to be Downtown or within the 277 loop. The good part is, Charlotte has tons upon tons of options compared to other cities and the Charlotte Government will likely let Amazon have free range of where they want HQ2 Since its a major investment in Charlotte. I could them coming together and figuring out a location Downtown, One just West for Downtown, One in Southend, NoDa possibly, Anything can happen. I think Charlotte is within the top 3 or 5 picks, And no I am not being biased, So far our current incentives for larger companies are very good, So it's only going to get better, Plus building / living  here compared to other major cities is very cheap. They have to pay their Seattle employees almost 40K more then they would have to here just to get the same lifestyle.

• Like 4

Funny how Charlotte's HB2 struck down by Raleigh could eventually play into HQ2 for either city. 

Also, lets not forget the elephant in the room. Amazon wants an "east coast" HQ so wouldn't that remove any city west of the Mighty Mississippi?  If we think about this from a logistics stand point, we must take into consideration that we are losing OTR drivers at an alarming pace and local drone deliveries are not a quick fix nor are they necessarily ready for implementation.  An east coast operation is critical for Amazon and while they do have a fleet of Boeing 767's  for long haul  cargo flights, they will always still need OTR drivers for most major cities although I'm not sure how they are going to remedy that when most millennials (or Get X for that matter) are not seeking employment in the trucking industry.  What that generation fails to consider is that even with autonomy, drivers will still play a crucial role as automation will not eliminate the need for drivers and in addition, cyber security will become a critical issue as operations digitize and move to cloud based systems,  so there's that.  It will be interesting to see what factors are finally considered and what role logistics will play in Amazon's decision. I'm happy for either city as long as it's here in the Tarheel state.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, UPNoDa said:

Funny how Charlotte's HB2 struck down by Raleigh could eventually play into HQ2 for either city. 

Also, lets not forget the elephant in the room. Amazon wants an "east coast" HQ so wouldn't that remove any city west of the Mighty Mississippi?  If we think about this from a logistics stand point, we must take into consideration that we are losing OTR drivers at an alarming pace and local drone deliveries are not a quick fix nor are they necessarily ready for implementation.  An east coast operation is critical for Amazon and while they do have a fleet of Boeing 767's  for long haul  cargo flights, they will always still need OTR drivers for most major cities although I'm not sure how they are going to remedy that when most millennials (or Get X for that matter) are not seeking employment in the trucking industry.  What that generation fails to consider is that even with autonomy, drivers will still play a crucial role as automation will not eliminate the need for drivers and in addition, cyber security will become a critical issue as operations digitize and move to cloud based systems,  so there's that.  It will be interesting to see what factors are finally considered and what role logistics will play in Amazon's decision. I'm happy for either city as long as it's here in the Tarheel state.

I thought this was office workers so how are deliveries & logistics relevant? 

I wonder if they're worried about what happens if the crazy aunt in the Raleigh attic comes out with some new wacko policy?

Edited by elrodvt
  • Like 2

I guess my thought was that if these folks are mostly tech oriented and are driven towards office type work, wouldn't it be in their best interest to keep all options open as tech certainly has a role in logistics. Google Uber and Tesla are currently working on truck autonomy with supply chain demand on the rise.  As the baby boomers retire and  Gen Xer's settle in. Millennials should be weighing their options in these fields. Amazon most certainly will move forward with advancements in not only office and warehouse automation, but will also need to consider rapid growth product delivery options without relying on Fedex, UPS and USPS and these careers will certainly be in demand. 

Amazon articles of the day.  Washington DC metro is losing people to several cities including Charlotte. High cost of living is surely a big factor and good jobs and easier commutes elsewhere

https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2017/09/20/more-people-leave-greater-washington-than-move.html?ana=e_wash_brk&s=newsletter&ed=2017-09-20&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1505952328&j=78853901

65% of San Francisco area consider housing pricing s a major problem and 25% of the state population has considered moving out of state. Doesn't look like a place that could attract people from all over the country. Again housing prices and cost of living biggest issues. https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2017/09/20/uc-berkeley-poll-housing-affordability-california.html

I don't Amazon will even consider ANY California city due to the state's anti business climate and high taxation.  My thoughts of Northern VA may be fading too.  I still think southeast is the best it will go with Atlanta as Charlotte's toughest competition. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

Okay  this my article about Amazon for Friday  Rapid transit should NOT be a factor for Amazon HQ2 because of future of driverless cars from Forbes.  https://www.forbes.com/sites/adammillsap/2017/09/19/rapid-transit-shouldnt-be-a-deal-breaker-for-amazon/#31c12c475dfc  This would seem to benefit Charlotte with light rail as opposed to heavy rail like MARTA in Atlanta or Metro in DC. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Okay  this my article about Amazon for Friday  Rapid transit should NOT be a factor for Amazon HQ2 because of future of driverless cars from Forbes.  https://www.forbes.com/sites/adammillsap/2017/09/19/rapid-transit-shouldnt-be-a-deal-breaker-for-amazon/#31c12c475dfc  This would seem to benefit Charlotte with light rail as opposed to heavy rail like MARTA in Atlanta or Metro in DC. 

Why does a guy preaching about diverless cars suggest that cities should build more parking?

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I have a feeling that Amazon is not going to take the best package as that is most likely to come from a poor match.  i.e. a city that so desperate to land Amazon they will give a lot up front but then demand Amazon to be responsible for too much of their economy.   I also think the necessary groundwork for the 'climate' needs to already be in place and if it does not exist Amazon is going to DQ.  Regardless of what promises are made.  e.g. a friendly corp tax structure and employment laws.  As that is the only way to ensure they would want to stay long term.  

Sidenote:  If Levine ever wanted to hunt a legacy he should find a way to 'offer up' his first ward stake.  Even if Amazon didn't come, I think it would give some credit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cjd5050 said:

I have a feeling that Amazon is not going to take the best package as that is most likely to come from a poor match.  i.e. a city that so desperate to land Amazon they will give a lot up front but then demand Amazon to be responsible for too much of their economy.   I also think the necessary groundwork for the 'climate' needs to already be in place and if it does not exist Amazon is going to DQ.  Regardless of what promises are made.  e.g. a friendly corp tax structure and employment laws.  As that is the only way to ensure they would want to stay long term.  

Sidenote:  If Levine ever wanted to hunt a legacy he should find a way to 'offer up' his first ward stake.  Even if Amazon didn't come, I think it would give some credit. 

This author posits that Amazon likely already knows where it's going to build HQ2, and, like GE, etc, before it, is simply using this process as leverage when bringing their intentions to their "intended."

http://cityobservatory.org/cash-prizes-for-bad-corporate-citizenship-amazon-edition/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

This author posits that Amazon likely already knows where it's going to build HQ2, and, like GE, etc, before it, is simply using this process as leverage when bringing their intentions to their "intended."

http://cityobservatory.org/cash-prizes-for-bad-corporate-citizenship-amazon-edition/

If that is the case then it is Atlanta.  Someone was sniffing around ATL for 500K of space earlier in the summer and they fit all their other boxes. But who knows but as I have said this is coming to the east coast for sure and probably the southeast.  

• Like 1

Lets not give up yet if you use Twitter here is a notice from Charlotte Regional Partnership 

#CLTisPrime Campaign

#CLTisPrime!
New hashtag launches Charlotte’s bid for Amazon’s second headquarters

Jump on the #CLTisPrime hashtag train and help us tell Amazon why Charlotte USA is the Prime location for their second headquarters!

We’re pulling out all the stops to win the competition for the 50,000 high paying jobs and $5 billion in economic development that Amazon’s HQ2 will bring to the selected city.

Tell the world, and especially Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, why Charlotte USA is a great place to live and work.

#CLTisPrime is the social media launch for a broad based campaign across the 16-county region. Make your voice heard and help us showcase what makes our region unique.

Get creative with photos, videos, songs and your best tweets via #CLTisPrime. Tell Amazon why our community is prime to meet Amazon’s vision for their new headquarters and for their future.

We welcome and appreciate your support in our full throttle effort to see Charlotte USA as the home to Amazon HQ2.

Have a great day!

3d7235ba-3b6a-477e-bfdb-4a2f45febb1e.jpg
Ronnie L. Bryant, CEcD, FM, HLM
President & CEO
Charlotte Regional Partnership
  • Like 3

Every day something in me increasingly says this is not right for Charlotte (and I come from a long line of creepy people who "know" things :ph34r:). I can't explain it as I want everything great here, but there's just something about this that makes this a bad deal for us.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Air out your secret shame here. 

• Thanks 1

One part of me would love Amazon to come to town but I know this would scare off lots of other employers from this area.  I want this area to be very economically stable over the years (as my business is here and will continue to live here until the good Lord calls me home)  Our biggest non governmental employer is Wells and CMC  and they have 23-30k give or take a few 1000.  It is almost unbelievable how a new employer could come to town and employ 50K people.  I like the Banktown moniker but I dont want all our biggest employers to be banks either. I love manufacturing, distribution jobs,  corporate HQs like the one we attracted today.  Here in the Charlotte area we have in our past company towns (textile mills towns) and I don't want to necessary be Amazon town.  So I will be happy if we get it and still happy if we dont.   I would be afraid of unbelievable traffic, much higher living costs etc.  Many in Seattle seem to blame Amazon on the higher cost of living but  not sure if that is so or not.   

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

your Amazon articles of the day for the weekend:

Salt Lake City and Raleigh have better chances than CLT https://qz.com/1074386/the-hard-choices-amazon-will-have-to-make-to-find-the-right-city-for-hq2/  (will not be a Mtn west state sorry)

Charlotte just above St Louis??

Austin and Raleigh again on this list from Bloomberg

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-09-14/big-cities-aren-t-better-in-amazon-s-contest

Enjoy the weekend! 

• Like 2

It appears that NC offered $570 million to Foxconn -- Wisconsin came up with $3 billion. We were not remotely close to the winning ballpark on that deal. 

FWIW

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2017/09/22/north-carolina-offered-foxconn-570m-in-incentives.html?ana=e_trig_bn&u=jDmEk%2BCKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1506128102&j=78869431

15 minutes ago, kermit said:

It appears that NC offered $570 million to Foxconn -- Wisconsin came up with $3 billion. We were not remotely close to the winning ballpark on that deal. 

FWIW

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2017/09/22/north-carolina-offered-foxconn-570m-in-incentives.html?ana=e_trig_bn&u=jDmEk%2BCKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1506128102&j=78869431

That would have been possibly environmentally and economically catastrophic for the State. WI and the united states had to give up environmental  oversight and pay $3B to a company that has a horrible track record of producing results. Amazon will most likely be bid on much higher. Berger and Cooper are good negotiators. 

Whether it is positive or not depends so much on the giveaways and long they take to make back (if ever).

Living in a border city like CLT must make that even more problematic given all the SC commuters? I bet some smart person here has numbers on that.

What would happen if Rock Hill became the next Asheville/Greenville and was more desirable to live for urban seekers and of course suburbanites can easily move south as well.

Then we're stuck paying the infra bill and SC gets the cash.

I don't know the history of the Philly city worker tax but imagine it was an attempt to make DE a less desirable option. As hated as that is I wonder if it would ever fly here?

• Like 1

These U.S. cities have the best chance of being Amazon’s second headquarters

We created a select list of cities with over a million people that have a chance of getting Amazon’s attention. We compared them on a number of criteria, including tech talent, airport travel time, office prices, housing costs and population. Take a look:

https://www.recode.net/2017/9/9/16278136/amazon-jeff-bezos-top-cities-new-second-headquarters

Edited by RiverwoodCLT
  • Like 1