Historic Preservation Projects

morehead

The Triad has some impressive restoration projects underway, ranging from Revolution Mill and Proximity Printworks in Greensboro to the Pepper Building and Innovation Quarter in Winston-Salem.

Here is a list of some Greensboro projects underway or planned...

https://preservationgreensboro.org/greensboros-top-10-preservation-projects-for-2017/

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Here is the greatest historical renovation and restoration project in the area Old Salem.   But Winston has done a great job with their old factories and warehouses too and all their older skyscrapers from Pepper Bldg,  RJR etc.     Old Salem is a great attraction for the area and state.  

IMG_1313.JPG

IMG_1325.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

IMG_1352.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

Not a new project but new water and sewer lines and sidewalks going in at Old Salem.  Couple photos from today.  

By the way Old Salem is completely closed right now including the retail shops like Winkler Bakery (which was a disappointment for me but understand) I did drive over to Deweys though. 

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0703.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

IMG_0713.JPG

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

The Mock Judson Hosiery Mill in Greensboro, on Oakland Avenue near UNCG and the Coliseum, has been sold and will be converted into apartments:

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2022/04/22/mill-sells-for-76-million.html

A previous owner had planned to convert the mill into 173 apartments, but the project stalled after some demolition had been completed. The new buyer is an LLC with the same address as Capital Broadcasting Co., developers of the American Tobacco Campus in Durham. CT Wilson, who was the contractor for the Revolution Mill renovation, will be the general contractor.

It is great to see another of the Triad's historic mills find new life. This location is just a block from the corner with Scrambled, Hops, and Bites and Pints. I think the Spring Garden corridor has tons of potential.

• Like 3

still love Old Salem.  I love the fact is an active neighborhood not just a outdoor museum like Williamsburg.  The mixture of private homes within the Old Salem area is great.   Winklers Bakery one of my favorites and always a stop to pay homage at the site of the first Krispy Kreme. 

Before I saw this thread I posted photos of the historical Shell clam station in another thread hereare a couple from it too. 

Nice to see tour groups again even saw a large one from St Gabes in Charlotte today. Probably 50 kids and a lot of frazzled looking adults. 

IMG_3557.JPG

IMG_3615.JPG

IMG_3616.JPG

IMG_3620.JPG

IMG_3624.JPG

IMG_3625.JPG

IMG_3627.JPG

IMG_3628.JPG

IMG_3629.JPG

IMG_3630.JPG

IMG_3632.JPG

IMG_3635.JPG

IMG_3636.JPG

IMG_3638.JPG

IMG_3642.JPG

IMG_3644.JPG

IMG_3646.JPG

IMG_3647.JPG

IMG_3648.JPG

IMG_3650.JPG

IMG_3652.JPG

IMG_3653.JPG

IMG_3654.JPG

IMG_3657.JPG

IMG_3713.JPG

IMG_3718.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The Greensboro History Museum is the best local history museum in the state.  No other city has such a good museum outside the state history museum in Raleigh.  Charlotte's history museum is half the size and most cities and parts of the state the city history museum is very small.  Bravo Greensboro. 

Great museum if you have not been recently pay them a visit it is free and air conditioned! 

IMG_6803.JPG

IMG_6805.JPG

IMG_6806.JPG

IMG_6808.JPG

IMG_6810.JPG

IMG_6811.JPG

IMG_6813.JPG

IMG_6814.JPG

IMG_6815.JPG

IMG_6816.JPG

IMG_6820.JPG

IMG_6827.JPG

IMG_6828.JPG

IMG_6835.JPG

IMG_6842.JPG

IMG_6843.JPG

IMG_6848.JPG

IMG_6849.JPG

IMG_6851.JPG

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, rancenc said:

that is really impressive for a community the size of Mt Airy.  Charlotte does not even have a Tribute by Marriott hotel.  It is nice it is being done in a mill too. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The old mill factory from the 1920s owned by Mock, Judson, & Voehringer on 1001 S Lindell Rd in Greensboro is being preserved and redeveloped into loft apartments. It's in the UNCG/Spring Garden/Coliseum Area.

It's to be called MoJud Lofts. Living spaces with historic traces.

Construction has been started quite a few months back.

https://mojudlofts.com/p/history/

Edited by AlmaPinnix
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, AlmaPinnix said:

The old mill factory from the 1920s owned by Mock, Judson, & Voehringer on 1001 S Lindell Rd in Greensboro is being preserved and redeveloped into loft apartments. It's in the UNCG/Spring Garden/Coliseum Area.

It's to be called MoJud Lofts. Living spaces with historic traces.

Construction has been started quite a few months back.

https://mojudlofts.com/p/history/

Nice! I was at Hops a couple months ago and was wondering what it was that appeared to be getting converted into apartments. 

• 1 month later...

Roy Carroll is taking some serious heat after purchasing a historic home in Irving Park built in the 1930s and tearing it down. I'm normally in support of what Roy Carroll does for the city of Greensboro but this is pretty sad. The house was perfectly structurally sound but because the layout didn't work for him he decided to tear it down and build from scratch.

A $7 million historic home being torn down!

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/greensboro/historic-spencer-love-house-in-greensboro-torn-down-by-new-owner/

Many in the community are stunned. The house not only has architectural significance, it has historic significance as well.

According to documents submitted to the National Register of Historic Places, the Spencer Love House was “one of the grandest classically informed houses in the city.” The home’s style is described as “Georgian Revival in its use of classical organization and ornamentation” with “a high hipped roof with segmental-arched dormers, a modillion block cornice, a scrolled pediment entrance, and decorative brick lintels and keystones.”

According to Guilford County property records, the home sits on about 3 acres. The home has a living area of 10,834 square feet with five bedrooms, six full bathrooms and three half-baths.

The house was built by Love, founder of the global textile leader Burlington Industries, in 1937.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2024/03/13/demolition-mansion-sold-between-business-leaders.html

4a035-710-country-club-drive.jpg

7a0ee-710-country-club-drive-exterior-2.jpg

Screenshot_20240313_172532_Chrome.jpg

Edited by cityboi

26 minutes ago, RichardC said:

Greensboro just doesn’t love its grand houses like other cities.  It was Adamsleigh several years back, now this one!

It's grand... it's old. But I honestly dont know why anyone cares. It's Roy Carroll's house to do with what he pleases.

From what I can tell, the only thing significant about it is that other very wealthy people lived there previously. There are hundreds of homes throughout the city of similar age still standing. The only difference is that their previous owners were in different tax brackets.

This story is a complete nothing-burger.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HRVT said:

It's grand... it's old. But I honestly dont know why anyone cares. It's Roy Carroll's house to do with what he pleases.

From what I can tell, the only thing significant about it is that other very wealthy people lived there previously. There are hundreds of homes throughout the city of similar age still standing. The only difference is that their previous owners were in different tax brackets.

This story is a complete nothing-burger.

I tend to agree, its not like it was one of the very old houses in the older neighborhoods in Greensboro. And the historical significance of this one was very minimal.