757Duke

Dollar Tree has moved into the new building & is using the parking garage.  They are supposed to do a renovation of the 'old' space and have begun tearing up the parking lot along Volvo to finish the site work for that block.  I've heard they will break ground on the apartments & retail surrounding the garage by the end of the year but haven't seen any activity yet.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2018 at 3:27 AM, Virginia City said:

Too bad they didn't wait to build this since there will be a large green empty building in Downtown soon they could have filled.

Nah, I’d much rather have them build new and create a new urban center for Chesapeake. NS Tower will be filled soon enough.

On 12/26/2018 at 12:48 PM, 23320 said:

Chesapeake didn’t need and wasn’t really asking for this. This is all DT wanting to cash in on their excess land IMO. The city went along because they didn’t want to risk losing DT.  I agree that it would be better to cluster our large office employers Downtown. 

The size of the Hampton Roads metro, clustering all large office employers to just downtown Norfolk is a horrible idea. Hampton Roads is a lot like the LA metro, it takes up a lot of land, consists of several cities, and each have their own urban center and employment hubs. It makes plenty of sense for Chesapeake to have an urban center downtown and what DT is doing makes a lot of sense for the city.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, vdogg said:

Meh, Greenbrier is still the center of activity. It won’t really be at downtown until they can tie this area in Greenbrier together. 

If this development eventually includes Liberty Executive Park and Towne Place at Greenbrier, I think it would be safe to call it a downtown for Chesapeake.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Up2313 said:

This area is going be really cool. However, that long white wall which I think is the backside of the Dollar tree warehouse looks ugly and out of place. I hope they can build store fronts or break it up with some trees or something. 

It is a shame the road wasn't shifted a little bit further away from the building to make it easier to build a storefronts building along it. 

4 hours ago, Up2313 said:

This area is going be really cool. However, that long white wall which I think is the backside of the Dollar tree warehouse looks ugly and out of place. I hope they can build store fronts or break it up with some trees or something. 

The long term plan is to relocate the distribution center and develop the whole 69 acre site but that will be the last portion developed. They’ve said the entire project is expected to take 35 years.