757Duke

The long term plan is to relocate the distribution center and develop the whole 69 acre site but that will be the last portion developed. They’ve said the entire project is expected to take 35 years. 

Where have you seen this information? I’d love for it to be true as I have the same sentiments about the warehouse.

Also, construction update on the second office tower and wee bit of the apartments are visible here too.

aefde61d46d5aea6105498c73938e1ef.jpg

1 hour ago, AuLukey said:

Where have you seen this information? I’d love for it to be true as I have the same sentiments about the warehouse.

Also, construction update on the second office tower and wee bit of the apartments are visible here too.

aefde61d46d5aea6105498c73938e1ef.jpg

Dollar Tree PUD Development Criteria

Not sure if the 35 year timeline is mentioned in here but I know it’s been mentioned in older Pilot articles from when it was being rezoned and before the Family Dollar acquisition. It’s still on the table as it was discussed in a meeting with the city manager & business leaders in Chesapeake. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AuLukey said:

Man, that rendering of the new office tower going up is incredibly underwhelming compared to previous renderings... Thanks, VE

I wouldn’t worry too much about the individual building renderings here. These images are meant to show the massing of the development rather than focus on architectural features. 

• Like 1

Holy suburban town center Batman!

Seriously!

I mean, trying to create an urban landscape is great; but not if you’re going to pave parking lots. Build another garage and use all those parking lots for more buildings with some street presence; otherwise this is just going to be another office park.
  • Like 2

On 9/4/2019 at 12:32 PM, 23320 said:

F3D952D0-9021-4A85-BEF4-23449EB0FBF2.png.b246a2ed682ad98ad6e3aefd496f21d0.png

Y'know...I actually like this. It gives me NOVA vibes. Looks a lot like something you'd see in Arlington. That said, I love/hate that the suburbs of Hampton Roads want urban looking city centers, and Norfolk wants a suburban extension of the true downtown with SPQ. THIS is what I want to see alongside St. Paul Blvd!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously!

I mean, trying to create an urban landscape is great; but not if you’re going to pave parking lots. Build another garage and use all those parking lots for more buildings with some street presence; otherwise this is just going to be another office park.

In a touch of irony, I got my wish today. Heard through the grapevine, and then fact checked with a trusted source, that the large parking lot next to Dollar Tree HQ is being replaced by a parking deck. Braking ground Q4, timeline of 1 year to complete. Should be “exact size” of other current deck. “All Dollar Tree” so it would be a surprise if this included any semblance of ground retail or residences.

4 hours ago, AuLukey said:

In a touch of irony, I got my wish today. Heard through the grapevine, and then fact checked with a trusted source, that the large parking lot next to Dollar Tree HQ is being replaced by a parking deck. Braking ground Q4, timeline of 1 year to complete. Should be “exact size” of other current deck. “All Dollar Tree” so it would be a surprise if this included any semblance of ground retail or residences.

So north of the HQ along Crossways? They did just file a site plan titled “Dollar Tree North Parking Garage” which I assumed was part of the next block that they just started work on. The ‘North’ would make more sense with what you’ve shared. 

So north of the HQ along Crossways? They did just file a site plan titled “Dollar Tree North Parking Garage” which I assumed was part of the next block that they just started work on. The ‘North’ would make more sense with what you’ve shared. 

It’s my understanding that it will go where the current parking lot is.
d0a2165f18d7bd4c3f967ea760ea4620.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, AuLukey said:

One item of note. In the far left of this picture, you can see that they paved a brand new surface lot on one of the blocks. A full block. Complete with non-temporary light posts. What in the actual hell?

It’s temporary. I suspect they might of needed to do it to take the surface parking offline for the next garage. Might be there for a couple of years but that block should be the final round of apartments for this phase. 

I really hate the name. Redundant & derivative. Adding an "e" to the second word is gilding a lilly that is actually more of a carnation. How silly. Trying way  too hard. I don't even like the street name or the way they've spelled it. Again derivative. Faux panache. Très bourgeois. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

I really hate the name. Redundant & derivative. Adding an "e" to the second word is gilding a lilly that is actually more of a carnation. How silly. Trying way  too hard. I don't even like the street name or the way they've spelled it. Again derivative. Faux panache. Très bourgeois. 

I agree. I’m very curious on how this will turn out. I just don’t understand why the mindset here is so bland. The new headquarters building is “nice” but for it to be a top Fortune 500 company I just would expected them to  build something more iconic. Maybe I’m just bitter because I want to see taller buildings lol. This is a nice project for Chesapeake but the name sounds like another upscale apartment complex (not really) in Chesapeake lol Is this a business district? Future downtown?  Town Center?...actually I’m not even sure what town center is lol I’m kinda confused now lol. It’s like this is more of a company being able to spend whatever they want and not really the “City of Chesapeake ” deciding it wants to build a CBD/downtown. If they really wanted to do that they would put the municipal center in the CENTER of the city. I love all 7 cities but Chesapeake and Va Beach just grinds my gears lol they operate like counties/suburbs but are called cities. It doesn’t make sense and that explains why these types of things don’t make sense here. Dollar Tree seems like it would work better with Virginia Beach with its “vision” wanting to be Norfolk**cough I mean a city but wait Dollar Tree used to be headquartered in Norfolk? This place is a mess but I digress lol

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Young75 said:

I agree. I’m very curious on how this will turn out. I just don’t understand why the mindset here is so bland. The new headquarters building is “nice” but for it to be a top Fortune 500 company I just would expected them to  build something more iconic. Maybe I’m just bitter because I want to see taller buildings lol. This is a nice project for Chesapeake but the name sounds like another upscale apartment complex (not really) in Chesapeake lol Is this a business district? Future downtown?  Town Center?...actually I’m not even sure what town center is lol I’m kinda confused now lol. It’s like this is more of a company being able to spend whatever they want and not really the “City of Chesapeake ” deciding it wants to build a CBD/downtown. If they really wanted to do that they would put the municipal center in the CENTER of the city. I love all 7 cities but Chesapeake and Va Beach just grinds my gears lol they operate like counties/suburbs but are called cities. It doesn’t make sense and that explains why these types of things don’t make sense here. Dollar Tree seems like it would work better with Virginia Beach with its “vision” wanting to be Norfolk**cough I mean a city but wait Dollar Tree used to be headquartered in Norfolk? This place is a mess but I digress lol

This is one thing (of many things) that I like about living in Oregon. Every incorporated city must identify where the downtown is and have a masterplan in place for the future development of that downtown. This is something that would be beneficial for Virginia, especially in Hampton Roads with cities like Chesapeake because I don't think that city has ever identified any part of it to be its downtown. At this point, it seems like the Dollar Tree location is the best its gonna get for having an official downtown.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 5:31 PM, michael ary said:

It's good to see this in Chesapeake. I don't know if these areas are planned out but Greenbrier always felt like the downtown/center of Chesapeake the same way that Pembroke felt like the center of VB even way back as a kid in the mid 80's.

Agreed. I do wonder if Chesapeake will ever consider moving their city hall to Greenbrier.  I know the Taj Mahal isn't that old but putting it here would provide a lot better access to more residents than the current location in Great Bridge.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/30/2019 at 10:23 AM, BeagleAccountant said:

Agreed. I do wonder if Chesapeake will ever consider moving their city hall to Greenbrier.  I know the Taj Mahal isn't that old but putting it here would provide a lot better access to more residents than the current location in Great Bridge.

The tough question would be where would it go since the area surrounding this development would require some serious dealings with the businesses and land owners in that area. It would be great to see an urban city hall campus just south of this development where the church and ALDI is at, or having it be a public/private deal with the Dollar Tree on their site if they redevelop the rest of the land that they own right there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, urbanlife said:

The tough question would be where would it go since the area surrounding this development would require some serious dealings with the businesses and land owners in that area. It would be great to see an urban city hall campus just south of this development where the church and ALDI is at, or having it be a public/private deal with the Dollar Tree on their site if they redevelop the rest of the land that they own right there.

That church was just purchased by this forum’s all time favorite developer, Michael Sifen, for a very suburban retail redevelopment. 

I’d love to see an attempt at moving City Hall out of Great Bridge though. If you thought the response in Virginia Beach was bad…