757Duke

On 1/16/2020 at 6:37 PM, 23320 said:

That church was just purchased by this forum’s all time favorite developer, Michael Sifen, for a very suburban retail redevelopment. 

I’d love to see an attempt at moving City Hall out of Great Bridge though. If you thought the response in Virginia Beach was bad…

If it's anything like when I use to live in VB 20 years ago, then I wouldn't be surprised if suburbanites would go apecrap there if they moved city hall to a more urban location. Personally I am surprised DollarTree is allowed to do this urban development.

On 1/16/2020 at 9:37 PM, 23320 said:

That church was just purchased by this forum’s all time favorite developer, Michael Sifen, for a very suburban retail redevelopment. 

I’d love to see an attempt at moving City Hall out of Great Bridge though. If you thought the response in Virginia Beach was bad…

Everything that guy touches turns to mediocre, suburban, trash. Well, if he’s concentrating on Chesapeake maybe he can at least leave VB alone for a little bit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glass almost topped out on the new office tower.

Is the land being cleared now on Terra Vista and Executive for the apartment/garage or the office tower from the master plan? Seems a little early to be building the third office tower. Unless the second has already been leased.

70f088e51aee55868582d9ddaf37a93e.jpg

14 hours ago, AuLukey said:

Glass almost topped out on the new office tower.

Is the land being cleared now on Terra Vista and Executive for the apartment/garage or the office tower from the master plan? Seems a little early to be building the third office tower. Unless the second has already been leased.

70f088e51aee55868582d9ddaf37a93e.jpg

Chesapeake has been growing like crazy the last few years. It’s definitely not out of the question that the second office tower has already been leased.

What I find extremely amazing is that that a private corporation is spearheading this huge project with no subsidies from the city.  And the city stands to gain a new “downtown “ or urban development and eventually lots of new revenue streams from taxes. It sets a new precedent for Chesapeake. Think VB’s TC effect.

14 minutes ago, urbanvb said:

What I find extremely amazing is that that a private corporation is spearheading this huge project with no subsidies from the city.  And the city stands to gain a new “downtown “ or urban development and eventually lots of new revenue streams from taxes. It sets a new precedent for Chesapeake. Think VB’s TC effect.

There is definitely city money involved. The city is paying for infrastructure improvements and owns a 2/3 share of the first garage. There is also economic development money from the city and state for the new job and capital investment for the new tower but that’s typical. All of it is certainly worthwhile investment though.

Having Dollar Tree spearheading does help, as they don’t have to wait for preleasing to get financed. They’re just spending cash as they consider a live/work/play environment as necessary to attract new talent. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, urbanlife said:

What's the chances the warehouse will eventually get redeveloped into an urban development attached to this starter grid system?

Likely over the long term. A general site layout without the warehouse was included with plans when it was approved. The development timeline was reported to be 35 years total. 

• Like 1