3 hours ago, urbanlife said:

The tough question would be where would it go since the area surrounding this development would require some serious dealings with the businesses and land owners in that area. It would be great to see an urban city hall campus just south of this development where the church and ALDI is at, or having it be a public/private deal with the Dollar Tree on their site if they redevelop the rest of the land that they own right there.

That church was just purchased by this forum’s all time favorite developer, Michael Sifen, for a very suburban retail redevelopment. 

I’d love to see an attempt at moving City Hall out of Great Bridge though. If you thought the response in Virginia Beach was bad…

Work has already begun on the next parking deck on the spot of the old Dollar Tree employee lot. Most of the old lot has been barricaded off and island/pavement demo has started.

image.jpeg

On 1/16/2020 at 6:37 PM, 23320 said:

That church was just purchased by this forum’s all time favorite developer, Michael Sifen, for a very suburban retail redevelopment. 

I’d love to see an attempt at moving City Hall out of Great Bridge though. If you thought the response in Virginia Beach was bad…

If it's anything like when I use to live in VB 20 years ago, then I wouldn't be surprised if suburbanites would go apecrap there if they moved city hall to a more urban location. Personally I am surprised DollarTree is allowed to do this urban development.

On 1/16/2020 at 9:37 PM, 23320 said:

Everything that guy touches turns to mediocre, suburban, trash. Well, if he’s concentrating on Chesapeake maybe he can at least leave VB alone for a little bit.

Glass almost topped out on the new office tower.

Is the land being cleared now on Terra Vista and Executive for the apartment/garage or the office tower from the master plan? Seems a little early to be building the third office tower. Unless the second has already been leased.

70f088e51aee55868582d9ddaf37a93e.jpg

14 hours ago, AuLukey said:

Glass almost topped out on the new office tower.

Is the land being cleared now on Terra Vista and Executive for the apartment/garage or the office tower from the master plan? Seems a little early to be building the third office tower. Unless the second has already been leased.

70f088e51aee55868582d9ddaf37a93e.jpg

Chesapeake has been growing like crazy the last few years. It’s definitely not out of the question that the second office tower has already been leased.

It’s probably still too early to see permits for the tenant buildouts but the only specific tenant I’ve seen permits for is First Watch. 

• Like 2

An updated timeline for the development which includes the new parking garage and updated renderings for the next two blocks. 

5D3EB1A9-F6CE-4817-A310-88B31C408AE8.thumb.jpeg.231d74ca6f4fa6ab5ad1f7231963d218.jpeg

• Like 2

How in the world does suburban Chesapeake get a better design than what's going in SPQ? This is what I'd love to see downtown.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Virginia City said:

Looking at that, I wonder if they eventually move city hall and the courts there eventually. Make it a real downtown.

You mean do what Va. Beach should’ve done? I can only hope.

• Like 1

What I find extremely amazing is that that a private corporation is spearheading this huge project with no subsidies from the city.  And the city stands to gain a new “downtown “ or urban development and eventually lots of new revenue streams from taxes. It sets a new precedent for Chesapeake. Think VB’s TC effect.

14 minutes ago, urbanvb said:

What I find extremely amazing is that that a private corporation is spearheading this huge project with no subsidies from the city.  And the city stands to gain a new “downtown “ or urban development and eventually lots of new revenue streams from taxes. It sets a new precedent for Chesapeake. Think VB’s TC effect.

There is definitely city money involved. The city is paying for infrastructure improvements and owns a 2/3 share of the first garage. There is also economic development money from the city and state for the new job and capital investment for the new tower but that’s typical. All of it is certainly worthwhile investment though.

Having Dollar Tree spearheading does help, as they don’t have to wait for preleasing to get financed. They’re just spending cash as they consider a live/work/play environment as necessary to attract new talent. 

• Like 2

On 3/6/2020 at 1:05 PM, BFG said:

How in the world does suburban Chesapeake get a better design than what's going in SPQ? This is what I'd love to see downtown.

Exactly, this is the exact kind of developments that should be going up in SPQ. 

• Like 1

This was the view from my girlfriend’s car, so it’s not much. I can’t believe how fast this has grown. 

7DBE38F9-0999-4B98-9C25-EF6F832424F2.jpeg

Edited by BFG