16 hours ago, 23320 said:

Likely over the long term. A general site layout without the warehouse was included with plans when it was approved. The development timeline was reported to be 35 years total. 

That will make for a nice downtown for Chesapeake for the next generations.

• Like 1

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The apartments/retail on the east side of the parking garage have started going vertical. Foundation work is ongoing on the other side of the garage and for the office building along Volvo. It has bee

All it needs is a light rail link!

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Virginia City said:

I do believe that Chesapeake was open to the idea.

I remember this as well. Greenbrier was the suggested connecting point, although Western Branch/Chesapeake Square may have been suggested as well. Although, I seem to remember they wanted to get the ball rolling by next year (this was about 2015 when it was proposed). I wonder if the Summit Pointe and Amazon developments will make the city reconsider?

34 minutes ago, Norfolk757Kid said:

Does Chesapeake have a Green Line or any natural limit on its sprawl?

Not officially. They are pushing for denser development along Dominion (future I-87) to conserve agricultural land south of the bridges. There is also a study underway to find ways to encourage development on existing surface parking  rather than raw land. The biggest limit currently is utilities as water & sewer aren’t available in much of the rural parts of the city. 

• Like 2
On 4/29/2020 at 7:49 PM, Norfolk757Kid said:

All it needs is a light rail link!

The route that would make the most sense would be having a light rail bridge at Harbor Park, then run it through South Norfolk down Battlefield Blvd. to Volvo Pkwy. Though running it down 464 would also be a possible route, though I don't think that route would reach as many people as down Battlefield would.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Any word of additional tenants here? It seems they’ve done really well leasing up the apartments but the retail and office leasing seem to be sluggish. It does appear site work has started on the next block. 

So far First Watch and Wasserhund Brewing have been announced as retail tenants.

The climate for new office and retail demand will take awhile to recover.
  • 2 weeks later...

Dollar Tree has quietly updated the renderings on the front page of their website. This second tower looks to be pushing 20 floors. Probably going to have to go back to council to get approval on that.

Screenshot_20210304-155416.png

I'm counting 21.  :)

On 1/17/2020 at 6:14 PM, AuLukey said:

Work has already begun on the next parking deck on the spot of the old Dollar Tree employee lot. Most of the old lot has been barricaded off and island/pavement demo has started.

image.jpeg

That’s been out for awhile. This one is more updated although not as fleshed out. 

image.thumb.jpeg.03a9d311fe5e0138db3c6710b51a052c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Screen grab of a rendering for Mosaic taken during the State of the City today. Official groundbreaking is soon although work has already started. Didn’t catch any major announcements but I also skipped through a lot of it. 

mosaic.thumb.jpg.74f165180b6ea79c125fe674f27cdb86.jpg

• Like 3