Detroit General Development

Allan

With all due respect, and with an appreciation for what the Detroit thread is attempting to accomplish, when I looked at the first post on the projects list and repetedly saw the project status line -

"Completion: Unknown"

I thought back to what my dear late Grandmother often said:

"If you wish in one hand and sh*t in the other, see which one gets full first"

That is the essence of Detroit. No further witnesses, I rest my case.

If your implication is I'm lobing turds from the sunny beaches of Malibu, you're sadly mistaken.

If your implication is I'm not cognizant of the city's economic, political, and social challenges, you're being presumptuous, and if I were looking for an apologist's view of urban planning in Detroit I would have logged onto detroit.com.

Thanks for asking !

Many of the projects' completion dates are way off, since there are countless delays...whether it's getting city approval, permits, financing, or finding something unexpected during construction. That stuff happens, whether it's Detroit or any other city.

I do try to keep the list fairly up to date, but it proves to be more than I can handle. Rarely a day passes when I don't hear something new about a development in the city from somebody. I don't have the time or energy to update this thread almost daily.

A Detroit development map is in the works, but I'm taking it bit by bit. I hope to be finished with it in the coming weeks.

It's ok...there are way too many garages going up right now. For the most part they are executed better than the old ones, but still. I was reading a study not too long ago that basically said that the more parking spaces a city creates in its downtown, the more parking spaces will be demanded. I should try to find that again....

Well, I agree with that. And, it's not just in parking. In our capitalistic society, there is often artifically created "demands." It's similar to the concept that if you build more roads, it helps traffic flow. Completely false, it just creates a justification for more to cram in on the roads: a false demand. We are being told what we should want, not telling those what we want, so much.

I just went by the National Theater at lunch hoping to learn more about what's happening there. I was told by someone who was working in it that they're going to restore it into a theater (stage kind).

I'm not sure how trustworthy that info is, but I'm excited nontheless. :)

I don't know you're feelings on that, Allan, but I think it would be a GREAT and unique spot for a well-known and established blues joint! I would hope that little pocket lot hugging Farmer would be built upon too...That merely-one-space parking lot they built for the YMCA is a no-no...and hopefully the last we'll see of anything like that! ;)

Edited by Michi

I think a HoB would be perfect for the National Theater. Its a unique building, much like their location in Chicago, and would be part of an emerging district. Throw in the residential units planned for Monroe Block and the overall buzz from Campus Martius and I think it would be a huge success. Hard Rock has shown that a theme restaurant in Detroit can do well.