Sign in to follow this  
Allan

Detroit General Development

With all due respect, and with an appreciation for what the Detroit thread is attempting to accomplish, when I looked at the first post on the projects list and repetedly saw the project status line -

"Completion: Unknown"

I thought back to what my dear late Grandmother often said:

"If you wish in one hand and sh*t in the other, see which one gets full first"

That is the essence of Detroit. No further witnesses, I rest my case.

If your implication is I'm lobing turds from the sunny beaches of Malibu, you're sadly mistaken.

If your implication is I'm not cognizant of the city's economic, political, and social challenges, you're being presumptuous, and if I were looking for an apologist's view of urban planning in Detroit I would have logged onto detroit.com.

Thanks for asking !

Many of the projects' completion dates are way off, since there are countless delays...whether it's getting city approval, permits, financing, or finding something unexpected during construction. That stuff happens, whether it's Detroit or any other city.

I do try to keep the list fairly up to date, but it proves to be more than I can handle. Rarely a day passes when I don't hear something new about a development in the city from somebody. I don't have the time or energy to update this thread almost daily.

A Detroit development map is in the works, but I'm taking it bit by bit. I hope to be finished with it in the coming weeks.

I noticed there is now scaffolding on the front of the National Theater. Does anyone know if this is for permanent or temporary occupancy? I thought I heard someone was going to use it for the Super Bowl, but not much more.

I'm not sure, but regardless, it is getting its roofed fix, and facade renovated, which will mean that even if it's only for temporary reuse, it will have a much easier time finding a tenant in the future.

The plan is to fix the facade only, considering that is the only major eyesore in the Campus Martius area. Hopefully with an improved facade, future tenents will be attracted to the building.

It appears as though the nasty parking garage that is attached to it is also getting some TLC. I would hope that would mean a new facade since it doesn't appear that garage is going anywhere anytime soon. :(

Yeah, that garage is almost as hideous as the new Dime Building garage. The only saving grace is that it has ground floor retail.

Do you mean the 1001 Woodward garage? BTW, does anyone have any new pics of that one? They seem to be delaying putting the facade on. Originally, I heard that it was supposed to match the architecture of the 1001, but now I hear brick.

No, the garage at Monroe & Randolph...it's a hideous piece of 1960s crap.

The 1001 garage has finally reached it's final height. I'm not sure what the facade will look like. There's a rendering in 1001, but I haven't been in to check it out.

*EDIT* Nevermind. I finally got my facts straight. lol

There are so many of these things under construction, I get them mixed up. lol

Edited by Lmichigan

It's ok...there are way too many garages going up right now. For the most part they are executed better than the old ones, but still. I was reading a study not too long ago that basically said that the more parking spaces a city creates in its downtown, the more parking spaces will be demanded. I should try to find that again....

Well, I agree with that. And, it's not just in parking. In our capitalistic society, there is often artifically created "demands." It's similar to the concept that if you build more roads, it helps traffic flow. Completely false, it just creates a justification for more to cram in on the roads: a false demand. We are being told what we should want, not telling those what we want, so much.

Who owns the national theater?

Wasn't it cleaned up a few years back?

I can't believe all the discussion about parking garages, but then again that's the majority of the construction activity downtown!

Baldy,

The National was owned by the city. I can't remember who owns it now off the top of my head. The theater got a new roof a couple years ago, but that was it.

Thanks Allan. Besides the roof, I thought the inside was cleaned up which included removing of the seats and other misc stuff. My memory isn't so good any more and I don't remember how this nugget of info got put into my brain, so maybe this isn't the case.

I just went by the National Theater at lunch hoping to learn more about what's happening there. I was told by someone who was working in it that they're going to restore it into a theater (stage kind).

I'm not sure how trustworthy that info is, but I'm excited nontheless. :)

Rumor is that the National will be a House of Blues. I'll believe it when I see the "coming soon" sign. I do know that there is indeed a tenant who has leased the space.

I don't know you're feelings on that, Allan, but I think it would be a GREAT and unique spot for a well-known and established blues joint! I would hope that little pocket lot hugging Farmer would be built upon too...That merely-one-space parking lot they built for the YMCA is a no-no...and hopefully the last we'll see of anything like that! ;)

Edited by Michi

I think a HoB would be perfect for the National Theater. Its a unique building, much like their location in Chicago, and would be part of an emerging district. Throw in the residential units planned for Monroe Block and the overall buzz from Campus Martius and I think it would be a huge success. Hard Rock has shown that a theme restaurant in Detroit can do well.