Detroit General Development

Allan

a couple other major announcements

TechTown unviels a $1.3billion plan that includes other major property owners in the 43-acre, 12 square block area (Henry Ford, GM) (no renderings yet)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/apps/pbcs.dll...c&Profile=0

SPECS OF THE PLAN

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/apps/pbcs.dll...12150344/-1/toc

Stakeholders in the TechTown project envision development that would include:

- 616,500 square feet of office space.

- 115,300 square feet of retail.

- 951,100 square feet of laboratory space, including 140,000 square feet in the current Tech One tech-incubator building.

- Residential housing totaling 3,273 units, including 1,242 for market-rate housing and a mix of campus units: 857 dormitory rooms, 805 graduate student units and 169 units for faculty.

- A large passenger train station just west of Woodward to replace the cramped Amtrak station currently on West Baltimore, south of Grand Boulevard. The station could serve Amtrak as well as other uses, such as high-speed rail.

- A 72,500-square-foot conference center next to the train station.

- A 1,250-seat multiplex theater at Woodward and I-94.

- A 71,000 square foot student union at Cass Avenue and York Street.

- A 794-room hotel and condominiums at Woodward and Amsterdam Street.

AND

Northfolk Southern and Amtrak express tentative support for AA-Detroit Commuter rail

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../612180334/1003

however, there are currently no plans for New Center transit station-Downtown transit other than current bus routes

Some updates from Model D for December 19, 2006:

$25 million condo investment to top Book-Cadillac parking garagr

http://www.modeldmedia.com/developmentnews/roxbury75.aspx

All but 4 Book-Cadillac condos snapped up; construction progresses on schedule

http://www.modeldmedia.com/developmentnews...cadillac75.aspx

Lots of progress made at Vinton Building; move-in expected early 2007

http://www.modeldmedia.com/developmentnews/vinton75.aspx

Women's City Club building on Park Ave. gets facade upgrades

http://www.modeldmedia.com/developmentnews/wex75.aspx

Greening of Detroit to expand focus on local food and land use

http://www.modeldmedia.com/developmentnews/greening75.aspx

I moved from ypsilanti to oregon in august for an americorps job. It's been awesome but my heart is in Michigan and it's really exciting to see all of the projects going on in Detroit. I am applying to WSU for grad school and I hope that I get in because Detroit is awesome. Oregon is great, but Detroit has soul and history that cannot be offered anywhere in the west. Ever since I moved to Oregon I have been telling everyone how awesome Detroit is, but they laugh at me and tell me that Detroit is nothing but a dirty slum and Michigan is due for collapse. I think otherwise. I look forward to bringing new thoughts to the Michigan planning world and hopefully will find a job in Detroit after planning school. P.S. - Nothing is better than Detroit sports! GO TIGERWINGSTONS!

Thats funny. No offense, Detroit has came along, but its nowhere as vibrant and cosmopolitan as Seattle. Now I this might come across as biased, because Im from Seattle and all, but Detroit is nowhere close to Seattle especially in the realm of bad stereotypes. Detroit was at one time much more than Seattle, but now I can bet you that more people have heard of Seattle now. Anyway, Detroit is doing alot of good things, but its got along way to clean itself up. Seattle never really a decline especially like Detroit.

Gods speed Detroit!

Yeah, Detroit may not be as functionally operational as Seattle. Actually, it isn't, but it's much older, and with a more storied history, and despite its decline is still more known around the world than most cities in this country including Seattle. One can debate all day which city they believe is better. That's up for debate. What's not up for debate is that Detroit is older and much more known around the world (for good or bad) than Seattle.

There really isn't any reason to start this, and this is not a bash on Seattle, but someone has to correct Randy.

Edited by Lmichigan

If setting the record straight, and getting legitimately defensive over obvious digs and purposefully erroneous statements is too much for your, then...nevermind. :) rbdetsport had a friend who's personal opinion was that he/she found Detroit nearly as nice as Seattle. Someone felt the need to use that personal opinion to make a point (one that didn't need to be made), and now they are getting called out it, and rightfully so. Detroiters and Detroit lovers didn't start this, so don't act like they did.

Edited by Lmichigan

Woah woah woah... Let ME set things straight, since I supposedly "started this." I never meant to start a fued (I think thats how you spell it.... LOL). I said I like Detroit. Im from Seattle, and while I like it, I like do sincerely like Detroit. Seattle is a Pacific Rim city. Thats why we're so cosmopolitan. And surprisingly we're still 70% white. I believe our foreign born population is around 20%. Comparing this with Detroit, your white population is only around 12% and your foreign-born population is the lowest of any major american city at 5%. Seattle used to be a one-industry kind of town like Detroit, Detroit being centered around the automobile while Seattle was centered around Boeing. Luckily, Seattle had an opportunity to diversify its economy and thats why our economy is so vibrant now. Detroit is just now able to do it and is making some good progress. Detroit also has some pretty severe racial issues that seattle has never had, due largely in part to our geographic isolation that also is the reason for our late development. Anywho, I could write a report on this crap. Im so passionate about it.... :-) But to make things clear... I did not mean to start a war here. Im very sorry. And Im also surprised to those of you who read everything. Kudos!

Thats funny. No offense, Detroit has came along, but its nowhere as vibrant and cosmopolitan as Seattle. Now I this might come across as biased, because Im from Seattle and all, but Detroit is nowhere close to Seattle especially in the realm of bad stereotypes. Detroit was at one time much more than Seattle, but now I can bet you that more people have heard of Seattle now. Anyway, Detroit is doing alot of good things, but its got along way to clean itself up. Seattle never really a decline especially like Detroit.

Gods speed Detroit!

Edited by illmatic774

LMich, my point was that what was stated was no big deal. It was just a casual remark. Randy@Tacoma, don't apologize, you did nothing. You meant to state rbdet friend's statement as exaggerated, which you had the right to do so, and you did it in a casual and friendly way. No need for a stream of rebuttals for something so simple. Of course the two cities are different. I love Detroit, but I'm not ignorant of the disfunction that plagues the city. That being said, the argument "Detroit is as good as Seattle" got mixed up with the Detroit is more "WELL KNOWN" than Seattle.

Also, this argument is pointless without facts. Start with google, which shows a few million more hits for Seattle than Detroit. Or else, lookup how frequent Detroit has appeared in the national media in recent years as opposed to Seattle. I'm positive Detroit will be ahead in this, but who's to trust me without posting facts.

illmatic, that last remark has nothing to do with this thread.

No one here was bashing Detroit at all, that why my post is mocking, because I was going to predict people here to get defensive over a remark that was light criticism, and sure enough they did.

Come on people, really you are all adults here.

• 4 weeks later...

Nine on Third street was completed in December 2006.

it's one block of prefab crap :wacko: .

I live in the complex directly across the street -

and I watched them "put" it up.

all I can say is, photos can certainly be deceiving.

this is a lie if I've ever watched one constructed. :ph34r:

btw, they haven't sold one unit since they started showing

them six months ago. I think that's because when you

get there and see them, you know the real ruse'.

archetectural renderings can hide some things -

but Location, Location Location - this 9 units sits

on the site of a Single Dairy Queen lot. 1/4 acre exactly

on the corner of Canfield and Third.

9 units on 1/4 acre ????

there is no way that this property can support nine families happily;

I'd venture to say that if you bought in as a single -

you'd be soon looking for more space. they are straight

up and down. two windows in the entire front and two in the rear.

ONE in the non master Bedroom - other than a view of the

Alley, and the side of the beautiful victorian house directly behind you.

also is there no mention to the Church that sits

directly beside it on the Block, and the one on the Corner

in the converted theatre, directly across the street.

I also notice that the Mission Soup Kitchen directly Across

The Street. nor the 125 unit multifamily complex where I live

across the street... were mentioned. also where is the mention

that this property sits on AN ALLEY.. A Well Used Alley where

cars, trash trucks, and lots of other transactions go on around the clock.

Hmmmmm,,, :shades: Wonder Why ????

this small scheme wasn't wanted on this 1/4 acre parcel from

the beginning; and the owner of the land sold it quietly to the

developers, without any public discussion - peroid. he moved

his family owned business out of the neighborhood and retired

to oak park where they have lived for the past 50 years.

"Detroit, alas more crappy units to replace genuine housing.. :blush: "

~RE Ausetkmt