Detroit General Development

Allan

But as has been said, it wouldn't take much to upgrade that image. Some trees would really help and they could probably cheaply add a vinyl cornice that few would notice was so cheap or add fake iron balconys.

Does someone want to e-mail them to inform them of some cheap options?

• 2 months later...

Neat! This has been proposed for quite a few years now, but if we're to believe the link the project will be taking off this fall. The amenities:

- basement-level lounge and storage area

- rooftop deck

- private fitness center

I wonder if they'll (the 24-hour valet) be using the Merchants Row Parking Garage?

BTW, the three-level "Winkleman" unit in the building is really interesting. It's a tri-level that will utilize the current mechanical penthouse. The Crowley also utilizes the other rooftop mechanical level.

Edited by Lmichigan

Southen, I just read the posts over at DetroitYES, I knew it would go back as far as the architects when tossing together the renderings.

Since I do a lot of 3d rendering stuff at my firm, we have to be VERY careful about what we include. In fact, we entirely avoid using images on the internet. Even a photo as generic as a sky for example we don't use, just because it's unethical to not credit the original owner when we are making money on the project. Although I have used copyrighted images for temporary placeholders, those would never leave my hard drive. I'm surprised they got as far as the website. What a slip up!

Another violation I noticed statewide is the inclusion of 3d models downloaded into renderings made by other people. I don't want to point fingers, but those buildings in the background of the Griswold development (the BC and Stott) look just like the models available on Google 3d warehouse, and I think the dude that made them is from Canada. I certainly hope there was permission if they weren't done in-house. I don't know, so I can't say for sure. But my firm has been cautious of what we use from the 3d warehouse, and we've always contacted the creators prior to usage.

Southen, I just read the posts over at DetroitYES, I knew it would go back as far as the architects when tossing together the renderings.

Since I do a lot of 3d rendering stuff at my firm, we have to be VERY careful about what we include. In fact, we entirely avoid using images on the internet. Even a photo as generic as a sky for example we don't use, just because it's unethical to not credit the original owner when we are making money on the project. Although I have used copyrighted images for temporary placeholders, those would never leave my hard drive. I'm surprised they got as far as the website. What a slip up!

Another violation I noticed statewide is the inclusion of 3d models downloaded into renderings made by other people. I don't want to point fingers, but those buildings in the background of the Griswold development (the BC and Stott) look just like the models available on Google 3d warehouse, and I think the dude that made them is from Canada. I certainly hope there was permission if they weren't done in-house. I don't know, so I can't say for sure. But my firm has been cautious of what we use from the 3d warehouse, and we've always contacted the creators prior to usage.

after careful consideration of the comments from you, my fellow urban planet peers, I have revised my stance on the whole valet thing. here is my analysis of why i didn't like valet:

1. It always seems to cause traffic snarls after tiger games (the tiger game part of that sentence is the key)

2. My main offender that I had in mind is Bleu. All others seem to do it right. Bleu has taken up the practice of parking car on the sidewalk in front of the broderick. If this is the worst of the problem, all you have to do is ticket the one offending establishment.

As I look back at my analysis, what is really the problem with Valet? Answer, it screws up traffic flow, especially after ballgames. Well, what does that do then? What I see is that this could have a way to basically start encouraging people to do one of two things:

a. hang out later after tiger games until traffic dies down (a good thing)

b. park farther away from the stadium to avoid traffic and walk (a good thing)

And what are the real effects of this awful valet, Mr. Ezord?

Well...

1. it makes the city look vibrant with high end establishments that offer valet

2. it slows traffic down

so, rather than deleting my previous post, I am changing my opinion. I was thinking too much on a traffic basis... forgive me, I'm just a sheltered little engineer. :)

Yeah I just got an email from KDG regarding the issue. I guess they were reading DY and before I could email them they got to me. I know its a small oversight but im still troubled by it. Hopefully the issue gets resolved soon.

It was kind of cool seeing how many people recognized my work like that though. Puts some positive on a negative situation.

Edited by tapezord

• 3 weeks later...

An east side Detroit neighbourhood bordered by East Jefferson, Alter, Warren, and Conner, filled with vacant lots, dilapidated housing, and boarded-up businesses will have 3000 homes, green spaces, and a vibrant shopping centre. Many of those homes are probably for rich people to spur up more business in Detroit and help reverse the city's population loss.

An east side Detroit neighbourhood bordered by East Jefferson, Alter, Warren, and Conner, filled with vacant lots, dilapidated housing, and boarded-up businesses will have 3000 homes, green spaces, and a vibrant shopping centre. Many of those homes are probably for rich people to spur up more business in Detroit and help reverse the city's population loss.