Detroit General Development

Allan

I find it a little amusing people are talking about views and transit noise when this is exactly what big city living is all about. People don't think twice about this stuff in Chicago were the El it right outside of their window, blocking their views and making more noise than the People Mover will ever make. I would hope most living downtown would only see these as minor inconviences. If Detroit wants a vibrant downtown, than they must but up with the inconviences of urban living. People living downtown should have the "Big City" mentality. Every mode of living has its downsides, be it urban or suburban.

Edited by Lmichigan

BTW, can someone confirm to me that Crosswinds plans for the Villages at/of Woodward (across Woodward from Woodward Place) were rejected because the city wanted something more substantial? I remember hearing that, but forgot where I remember hearing it from. There is a thread asking about it at the Fab Ruins site, and I want to make sure I got my facts right.

From my understanding, that is correct. One of the guys that works in the sales office was also in one of my classes last year. I went into the office one day and was talking with him. Upon asking him about the property on the west side of Woodward, he informed me that the city would not allow Crosswinds to develop there unless there was 0% setback from the sidewalk. Since Crosswinds had other ideas in mind, they will not be developing it.

How credible is this information? I do not know. :)

Agreed. Anything built in this part of the city should have no setbacks from the sidewalk. I'm glad to hear that the city isn't just taking crappy development. Detroit needs quality urban development in its core. Sprawl has its place too...out on 7 Mile Road.

I echo all of these sentiments. I'm glad to see the planning department got some balls. This tracts of land, in specific, should be reserved (like Woodward Place should have been reserved) for true, dense housing. I've never accepted the attitude that Detroit should just take anything because that's all it is going to get, especially in Central Detroit/Greater Downtown. Whatever goes west of Woodward should at least be Ellington caliber, if not better. Woodward Place is getting better with the new gardens project, but it still looks out of place.

Why not just shorten Woodward back down a lane or two or add a median up the middle? I can't believe how little traffic I see on it every time I'm in the city. And the speed limit for most of the street is a joke given the width of the street. It's like asking people to do the posted 35 MPH on parts of Saginaw and Oakland in Lansing. It ain't gonna' happen.

Well, I've always envisioned one of the lanes being used for light rail and then the median serving as the space needed for stations. It can be debated on whether Woodward needs 4 or 6 lanes for through-traffic, but I seriously think it could get by with 4...or even better yet 6, with two of those lanes (closest to the median) designated for a sharing by light rail and vehicles.

Seriously though, once you get to Grand Boulevard, Woodward should no longer be thought of as a commuting route. It should be thought of as "the destination" that its northern sections connect to. The "destination" mentality should be in effect from the Boulevard to the river.

And like you said, LMich, people can drive 50+ mph through Midtown without incident, however most go about 40 mph, which is 10 mph too fast, IMO.

I tend to think the opposite. Woodward (and the others) should get smaller as you get towards downtown, and should be left as is near the outskirts where the car is the key mode of transportation, and will continue to be for the forseeable future. The inner city should be the most walkable for the simple fact that it's already built more dense. The size of the street should reflect that, IMO.

Edited by Lmichigan