Who's Done This?

arcturus

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hah!  That cannot be the first time a Grand Rapids lane change has been recorded like that.I'm going to plead the fifth about where i've done it, but I've never done it at that location.  That's the first time i've ever seen it from the WB Ford to Pearl Street.  You see it routinely all over downtown, and other parts of the metro area.  Gotta love those simultaneous right and left enter/exit zones.  We definitely have a unique freeway network here.

That's nothing.  Last week a older woman did the same maneuver about 9 in the morning in front of me and stopped, yes stopped dead halfway between the left and center lanes and waited for traffic to clear so she could get in the right lane.  Cars and trucks in the right and center lanes started doing hard braking and swerving left and right to avoid hitting her and the other swerving vehicles.  I held my breath waiting for the crashes to begin and figure out where I was going to go.  Thanks to the driving skills of my fellow motorists, nobody touched her or anyone else.  The last I saw  her in my rear view mirror about was about Grandville Ave  putting along in the far right lane. 

11 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

There was logic to what was built in the 60's. The city fathers wanted the freeways to come thru town and not bypass it.  Plus the traffic on the freeways was 1/10th of what it is today. They worked pretty darn good at 1/10th of today's traffic plus people focused on driving, not their smart phones.

It's not the highways running through the city that is the problem. It's the two lane highways, the tiny exit and on ramps, the situations like you see here, the two way roads that become one way roads with no good path to where you need to go, the four lane roads where we could stand to have six lanes or the two lane roads where four is clearly needed. You get the idea. Hence my statement that if a total reset was offered, I'd probably take them up on the offer. 

Try pulling this stunt in 7x as much traffic and you'd have an LA driver :rofl:

Problem fixed: Just put in some delineators in between the main roadway and the weaving lanes.  There's even a separation, which makes me wonder if that was part of the plan originally.  Now they can't cut across anymore.  Easy day.

59c506ba304b6_ScreenShot2017-09-22at5_36.53AMcopy.png.8115569dc85fde14ce5f76ac410778e0.png

1 minute ago, RegalTDP said:

Try pulling this stunt in 7x as much traffic and you'd have an LA driver :rofl:

Problem fixed: Just put in some delineators in between the main roadway and the weaving lanes.  There's even a separation, which makes me wonder if that was part of the plan originally.  Now they can't cut across anymore.  Easy day.

59c506ba304b6_ScreenShot2017-09-22at5_36.53AMcopy.png.8115569dc85fde14ce5f76ac410778e0.png

Grand Rapids: Puts in delineators

Grand Rapids Driver: Hold my beer

My weekday view from the Y.  Traffic jams on both NB/SB 131 with left turns off exit ramps a spectacle.  Not surprisingly its become noticeably worse even in a short period of time.

How many apartments are going online within a few miles radius in the next 12 - 18 months? 

download_20170922_114125.jpg

4 hours ago, arcturus said:

My weekday view from the Y.  Traffic jams on both NB/SB 131 with left turns off exit ramps a spectacle.  Not surprisingly its become noticeably worse even in a short period of time.

How many apartments are going online within a few miles radius in the next 12 - 18 months? 

download_20170922_114125.jpg

2000 - 2500, give or take. And that's apartments, not residents. # of residents per apartment is probably 1.5 on average? 

Not to mention we have (had) the fastest growing economy in the country. Most of those cars on 131 aren't headed for or leaving downtown. 

Archived