Uber (and other ride-sharing services)

Catfish

Once again, we see that Shreveport is the laughing stock of the state. Two much smaller metro areas recently saw the start-up of Uber in their areas: Texarkana AR/TX and Monroe-West Monroe.

Shreveport has just under 200,000 people. Even Bossier City on its own is larger than Texarkana and Monroe. The Shreveport-Bossier metro area has over 400,000 people. Yet here we are in Shreveport-Bossier with no ride-sharing companies operating here.

What a joke we've become. I hate to say it, but things like this, which may seem really small to some people - but aren't to me - make me wish I lived almost anywhere else but here.

Local taxi companies think it will cut into their business. I don't know about anyone else here, but while I would consider an Uber ride, I never have and hopefully never will ride in any of the nasty things they call taxis here. That's not lost taxi business because of Uber, it's lost taxi business because I've seen our local taxis and... no thank you!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, it looks like we have a chance at getting ride-sharing services now that the council has changed their restrictive ordinances. I wasn't aware of these ordinances, but apparently that is what has been keeping Uber and Lyft out of the area here.

Still, this is an example of poor leadership on the part of the city for creating such restrictions in the first place. Just more reasons for businesses to not enter this city.

So, will Uber and Lyft finally be here soon, when they should have already been here for quite some time now? We'll see...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived