Sign in to follow this  
Dale

Orlando Magic Entertainment Complex [Proposed]

Recommended Posts

Growthspotter article seems to indicate that the Magic are going to put up parking lots where their "entertainment center" is supposed to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


15 minutes ago, Dale said:

Growthspotter article seems to indicate that the Magic are going to put up parking lots where their "entertainment center" is supposed to be.

According to their Facebook page, it will be a temporary, interim usage.

mectemplot.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

According to their Facebook page, it will be a temporary, interim usage.

mectemplot.png

Thanks for the legwork!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

133 space valet lot on Church/Division; 30 space "Business Use" lot on Church/Hughey since their current side lot on Hughey is inaccessible due to I-4 Ultimate. 

Personally, I'm writing the city commissioners expressing displeasure at approving the valet lot, and hoping they don't renew the temporary permit after three months.  I have no issue with the 30-spaces for the one year span due to I4 construction.  It is on part of phase 2 anyway. 

However it has been over 3 years since this project was approved to be built in phases, and over a year since the parking garage was demoed and tenants forced out.  No excuses for it to still be in design phase and getting surface parking.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I a

3 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

133 space valet lot on Church/Division; 30 space "Business Use" lot on Church/Hughey since their current side lot on Hughey is inaccessible due to I-4 Ultimate. 

Personally, I'm writing the city commissioners expressing displeasure at approving the valet lot, and hoping they don't renew the temporary permit after three months.  I have no issue with the 30-spaces for the one year span due to I4 construction.  It is on part of phase 2 anyway. 

However it has been over 3 years since this project was approved to be built in phases, and over a year since the parking garage was demoed and tenants forced out.  No excuses for it to still be in design phase and getting surface parking.

I agree, this would be terrible if the Magic is allowed to have a temp parking lot. The area already has a lot of dirt parking lots.  It would be an eyesore being directly across from the arena. Build the thing already........... How we have one of the most riches Billionaires in the NBA that is struggling to build a entertainment complex for 100M? Please help me with this one. 

Edited by tc01
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tc01 said:

I a

I agree, this would be terrible if the Magic is allowed to have a temp parking lot. The area already has a lot of dirt parking lots.  It would be an eyesore being directly across from the arena. Build the thing already........... How we have one of the most riches Billionaires in the NBA that is struggling to build a entertainment complex for 100M? Please help me with this one. 

I mean seriously, why did they need to tear down the existing parking garage with retail on the first floor if they weren't ready to get going on it? I'm doubtful we'll have anything there as good as what we used to have within the next 10 years with the way the Magic work...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it would be pretty silly to build it without tenants. But I though they should have kept the garage until they were ready to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crazy!  Pine Street was supposed to connect through.  This plan is garbage.  The City is being played if they even think about going along with this nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because Church is almost always closed, so Pine street is the first street that can actually go from Division to downtown.  Having lived in 55W for almost 5 years, not having to make a ton of turns to have another way in/out without using Hughey/Garland is huge.  Traffic is hellish during events.

--

With that said, from that picture posted (I'm too lazy to go to the MPB right now and I refuse to click Bungalower links), if looks like they are getting rid of the elevation/hillside that was in the initial renderings and making it a normal plaza.  If that's the case, I understand making it a pedestrian plaza.  I imagine Church St District would fight that though.  It would make that the last stop for Magic games AND OC games.

Edited by AndyPok1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, these designs are crap compared to the original ones.  The giant LED screens are gone, and the broadcasting station in the plaza is gone.  Less connectivity between the streets around it will now lead towards more dead zones outside the complex.  There should be a road from central to Pine, and Pine should go straight through or at least halfway.  These roads can be closed if necessary during event days, but vehicular traffic should be allowed to go through.  Wouldn't it make sense actually to move the Lymmo stop into the center of that plaza on an extended Pine.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2017 at 2:14 PM, aent said:

I mean seriously, why did they need to tear down the existing parking garage with retail on the first floor if they weren't ready to get going on it? I'm doubtful we'll have anything there as good as what we used to have within the next 10 years with the way the Magic work...

The Magic, as an organization, are amateurs.  They can't manage a team and are way worse with real estate.  See One Daytona progress for comparison.  See other NBA teams for comparison.  I agree that I-4 will get done before they do anything with those lots.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WAJAS98 said:

Well, these designs are crap compared to the original ones.  The giant LED screens are gone, and the broadcasting station in the plaza is gone.  Less connectivity between the streets around it will now lead towards more dead zones outside the complex.  There should be a road from central to Pine, and Pine should go straight through or at least halfway.  These roads can be closed if necessary during event days, but vehicular traffic should be allowed to go through.  Wouldn't it make sense actually to move the Lymmo stop into the center of that plaza on an extended Pine.

THIS!!!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to add to the discussion even more, but I don't have anything positive to say.  No broadcasting booth...  wow... and they think they can make this even a smidgen of what LA Live is?  Ain't gonna happen with squat buildings taking up a bunch of real estate, but what do I know.

Are there any elevation drawings for this new "plan"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, are the assumptions about the LED video screens and the broadcasting station based solely on the plan view layout posted above, or was that reported somewhere?

The reason I ask is because that drawing looks very bare bones and likely incomplete as far as those elements are concerned. They could very well still be planning to include those things, but for some reason just chose not to include them in that particular layout.

If there's one constant in the design arena, it's that things always change and nothing is cast in stone until everything is built.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, JFW657 said:

So, are the assumptions about the LED video screens and the broadcasting station based solely on the plan view layout posted above, or was that reported somewhere?

The reason I ask is because that drawing looks very bare bones and likely incomplete as far as those elements are concerned. They could very well still be planning to include those things, but for some reason just chose not to include them in that particular layout.

If there's one constant in the design arena, it's that things always change and nothing is cast in stone until everything is built.

I think the screens are an assumption, but the broadcasting booth was a whole building within the pedestrian plaza, which would have to be included in any of these proposed layouts like it was in the original.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, WAJAS98 said:

I think the screens are an assumption, but the broadcasting booth was a whole building within the pedestrian plaza, which would have to be included in any of these proposed layouts like it was in the original.

So, they dumped the broadcasting booth because they either don't have the money or don't have the sponsor or both.  So, Fox Sports or whomever wasn't interested in their deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.