Dale

Orlando Magic Entertainment Complex [Proposed]

Recommended Posts

I'm sorry.  I'm hard on these guys because they sit there with smiles on their collective faces; they do their photo shoots and their Glamour Shots and get their mugs on the OBJ or Slantinel, for their five minutes, as if they actually accomplished something, but they haven't.  The City and County were mainly responsible for the Amway Center.  We got it, a great venue, serving a horrible product, yet they parade like they accomplished something big.  And they have the audacity to discuss building an entertainment center when they have gotten schooled by the likes of ISC in Daytona who are well on their way of completing One Daytona by next Spring or early Summer.  They are so pathetic.

They are all smiles but they don't f*cking do anything; the team stinks and their ability to pull this project off stinks.  I'm shocked they had the wherewithall to be able to hire a demolition team for the garage (which I said two years ago they shouldn't have demo'ed so soon and kicked the retailers out). 

And they expect fans to still pay for a product that sucks is what gets me.  I used to be really hard on the Mango's people for continuously adding to the hype machine of Skyplex which the OBJ drools over all the time.  Except, to their credit, they built out Mangos, and, are building out the Hollywood Garage; painting it now, AND, they actually own the land where Skyplex is going AND, as another poster reminded me, they bought the Perkins franchise of 8 locations to be able to move the Perkins into Skyplex when that space opens.

What have the Magic done?  Other than sprinkle pixie dust over everyone's @sses, nothing.

I should get a job at the Slantinel.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


these guys are small minded amateurs. No grand visions...nothing.  Lets make a half assed project to make the dumb masses think we are doing something productive for the city...

Let a private company with money and balls come in and design/build it. Stick to running the team into the ground

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's frustrating to see things coming along the way they are,  prematurely demolishing the garage and OPD buildings before having a good and more or less complete vision, then deciding to make parking lots. My biggest fear about this project is that the entire block becomes a big parking lot and stays that way for years, if not more.  I'm starting to think that even the I-4 eyesore has a better chance of being completed by 2020 or 2021 than this, mostly because I'm actually seeing construction workers there almost daily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any chance the Magic frequents this site ? I hope they do.

I know that prominent Charlotte developers peruse the Charlotte subforum.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I'm sorry.  I'm hard on these guys because they sit there with smiles on their collective faces; they do their photo shoots and their Glamour Shots and get their mugs on the OBJ or Slantinel, for their five minutes, as if they actually accomplished something, but they haven't.  The City and County were mainly responsible for the Amway Center.  We got it, a great venue, serving a horrible product, yet they parade like they accomplished something big.  And they have the audacity to discuss building an entertainment center when they have gotten schooled by the likes of ISC in Daytona who are well on their way of completing One Daytona by next Spring or early Summer.  They are so pathetic.

They are all smiles but they don't f*cking do anything; the team stinks and their ability to pull this project off stinks.  I'm shocked they had the wherewithall to be able to hire a demolition team for the garage (which I said two years ago they shouldn't have demo'ed so soon and kicked the retailers out). 

And they expect fans to still pay for a product that sucks is what gets me.  I used to be really hard on the Mango's people for continuously adding to the hype machine of Skyplex which the OBJ drools over all the time.  Except, to their credit, they built out Mangos, and, are building out the Hollywood Garage; painting it now, AND, they actually own the land where Skyplex is going AND, as another poster reminded me, they bought the Perkins franchise of 8 locations to be able to move the Perkins into Skyplex when that space opens.

What have the Magic done?  Other than sprinkle pixie dust over everyone's @sses, nothing.

I should get a job at the Slantinel.

Didn't the Magic get a sweetheart deal on this land? I can't help but feel the reason they put the wrecking ball out there so quick was to claim it as their own, to get rid of the city owned facilities so when they don't do what they said, their is literally no recourse. If they proposed new and worse plans before the stuff was demolished, someone might say no. By demolishing it first, they can literally propose something worse then what was there before, and no one is gonna say no because at least its not the abandoned empty lot they turned it into.

The parking garage was likely worth more then the blocks they purchased for $12 million, structures and all. I wish the city sent them to try to buy the businesses on the street west of the arena... that needed the redevelopment more, and if they bought that at market rates, we'd have known they were more serious.

By contrast, Orlando City paid $22 million for land without any real significant structures on it, and its a worse location being further west, so it should be less valuable.

Edited by aent
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aent said:

Didn't the Magic get a sweetheart deal on this land? I can't help but feel the reason they put the wrecking ball out there so quick was to claim it as their own, to get rid of the city owned facilities so when they don't do what they said, their is literally no recourse. If they proposed new and worse plans before the stuff was demolished, someone might say no. By demolishing it first, they can literally propose something worse then what was there before, and no one is gonna say no because at least its not the abandoned empty lot they turned it into.

The parking garage was likely worth more then the blocks they purchased for $12 million, structures and all. I wish the city sent them to try to buy the businesses on the street west of the arena... that needed the redevelopment more, and if they bought that at market rates, we'd have known they were more serious.

By contrast, Orlando City paid $22 million for land without any real significant structures on it, and its a worse location being further west, so it should be less valuable.

What a terrible asset to Orlando the Magic prove to be time and again.  I haven't lived in Orlando for over a decade - are there any decent investigative journalists in town these days?  Someone should be following/reporting on this and holding the ownership accountable.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^

what he said

Yeah, I'm really getting fed up with them for all the reasons stated by everyone.  I and others said in the past that they were using the OPD bldg and a restructuring of their phases as an excuse not to begin Phase I as originally envisioned before OPD was demo'ed.  Once they got OPD, their new design sucked even worse than the first.  How the hec does that happen?  And now we get a surface parking lot which will be there much longer than people think.  Just wait and see.

The UCF student housing building and UCF/Valencia Bldg will be u/c and probably completed before The Magic do anything substantial here. Tremont/ Church St Plaza will top off before they do anything also.  In fact, they are probably happy about I-4's construction and Tremont's construction b/c it will take attention away from them in the interim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suggest some of us show up to the city/public meetings to voice our concerns, whenever they get to that process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tc01 said:

I would suggest some of us show up to the city/public meetings to voice our concerns, whenever they get to that process. 

The City (and County) did not want the black eye of losing their major sports franchise several years back, so they ponied up for the Amway Center.  That being said, I think the City will allow them to do whatever they want if they can justify it, ala, financially.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So is it really going to be a parking lot? Wasn't the Amway Center designed to not be surrounded by surface lots like the O-rena was? Why even take a small, and allegedly temporary, step backwards?? Garages>>>>Surface Parking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it's for a parking lot? Then why was the parking lot torn down to build a surface lot? Non of this makes sense.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is that they figured it would be better to get the garage demo out of the way and done with early on, so that when they're ready to start construction, they can hit the ground running without having to be encumbered with something they could've gotten done long before.

Just my guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, orange87 said:

What about Fox Sports Florida? I can't read the article.

They're going to have their offices and a broadcast booth at the MEC. The broadcast booth might be separate from the main building and have glass walls where people can see into it and be seen on TV in the background.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.