Orlando Magic Entertainment Complex [Proposed]

Dale

8 minutes ago, sunshine said:

The one thing that the Magic is not good at is "rebuilding".

Hopefully this is the start of a larger urban district such as Water Street Tampa with the Green development next door, Bags HQ and Orlando City will start developing their land.

Am I a bad person to think both teams should concentrate on winning more before being real estate moguls?

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sunshine said:

Well, at least in the real estate field,  it gives us joy and provide hopes...

Thankfully, I prefer college ball anyway. Our Knights keep on winning and they’re much more supportive of public education (not to mention less homophobic) than the DeVos family. Not to mention UCF is building downtown already!

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Am I a bad person to think both teams should concentrate on winning more before being real estate moguls?

NO.  I could care less about having a bowling alley downtown that's triple the price than anywhere else. I'd rather have two winning teams instead of bragging about amenities that i'll maybe use .05% of my time in Orlando, if ever. Don't even get me started about Orlando City and their absolutely atrocious front office. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sunshine said:

Dont forget the Orlando Pride and Solar Bears that nobody cares.

I think they are trying to build up the facilities and when the teams (Magic & OC) are good, they can cash it with the amenities. No point on letting Stonewall making all the $$$

I gotta tell ya, I think the Orlando Pride are going to be gone very, very soon. The front office is losing money on them. People don't go to the games, which is extremely sad because it's a great product.

In the NBA at least, the Magic have had a lot of unfortunate breaks (along with a couple questionable decisions because of aforementioned breaks).  But when you get good, your team generally loses money because of luxury taxes, so having a real estate component will assist when that time comes.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

In the NBA at least, the Magic have had a lot of unfortunate breaks (along with a couple questionable decisions because of aforementioned breaks).  But when you get good, your team generally loses money because of luxury taxes, so having a real estate component will assist when that time comes.

I have no research on this at hand but it’s always been my understanding that the actual value for all but the top few NBA teams comes from the write offs the owners can take for their taxes due to their losses and, more importantly, the profits generated from an eventual sale (major league teams tend to appreciate significantly over time).

Given the scarcity of franchises, it may be largely moot (unless you’re a top team like the Lakers) how much the team wins or loses when it comes time to sell.

That puts the interests of the owners at variance with the very communities being asked to support them.

OTOH, using the team’s brand to jump-start development (and encourage CRA and other tax breaks) no doubt has a good bit of value.

Time to spend some time at the library...

Edited by spenser1058

Don't forget revenue from licensed merchandise sales.

According to a 2016 article in Forbes:

A team's total value is made up of four determining factors: Sport, Market, Arena and Brand.

Sport is the portion of a team's value attributable to revenue shared among all teams.

Market is the portion that comes from its city and market size (which determines the team's revenue per fan).

Arena is the part attributable to its arena (home game attendance, premium seating, non-NBA events, etc.)

Brand comes from (you guessed it) the team's specific brand.

DRAFT-NBA-ValuationCard2016-StackedBarGr

19 - Orlando Magic

The Orlando Magic are a testament to how important a team's stadium or arena can be when it comes to overall team value. Despite a serious slump in the three years since Dwight Howard was traded to the Los Angeles Lakers, the Magic pay almost no rent at Amway Center, and the team's payroll is over $5 million under the cap, $20 million under the luxury tax threshold which will come in handy during free agency this summer.

19-Forbes-NBA-TeamValuations2016-Orlando

Keep in mind, this article is from 2016, but the basic premise would still apply I guess.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/baileybrautigan/2016/03/21/where-all-that-money-comes-from-nba-team-valuations-visualized/#60b660e444fd

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I know this isn't about the Magic team, but, to be fair about this franchise here's the "couple of questionable calls" I've witnessed:

1.  They let Shaq go

2.  They allowed a hobbling Jameer to resume his starting role over Alton and the other guy who were doing great against the Lakers in The Finals.

3.  They listened to Dwight when he pressured them to fire VanGundy.  They fired VanGundy and started sucking; Dwight ended up leaving ANYWAY...

4.  They said no to Rodman

5.  They signed choir boy Grant Hill in a manner which locked him in for many injury laden years which affected their ability to go after big healthy talent.

6.  They signed a known head case (can't remember his name) within a couple years after The Finals who of course didn't pan out.

7.  There's more; but I'm at work.

And, no, I don't like them....  :)