Orlando Magic Entertainment Complex [Proposed]

Dale

11 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Yes, that's true. If Trump manages to dupe a large enough percentage of the gullible, easily conned portion of America for a second time, we could very well end up there.

Another four years of peace and prosperity would be almost unbearable.

1 hour ago, Xander said:

I've asked this a couple of times across different threads in this forum, and i'll kindly ask this once more:

PLEASE stop talking about politics in this forum. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the thread topics and isn't where things like this should be discussed. I know I don't come here for this garbage, and i'm willing to bet nobody else does, either. I don't care what your political affiliation is, I don't care what your political opinion is, and I have to deal with arguing about politics on literally every social media platform, on every news site, and even in person.

Please , please, please stop with the politics. Thank you.

Interesting, the forumer you chose to target, as opposed to a certain forumer who regularly inserts politics into his posts.

27 minutes ago, Dale said:

Interesting, the forumer you chose to target, as opposed to a certain forumer who regularly inserts politics into his posts.

Would you like me to equally quote every single political comment, all of which were inappropriate and shouldn't have been posted here? Because i'm going to tell you right now, I DO NOT CARE who I quoted, so DO NOT try to pull me into a political argument in the middle of a reply about not wanting to talk about politics- it's incredibly redundant, a shining example of whataboutism that I have no interest in, and will gain you no reply from this point forward. 

Now then- what were we saying about the Orlando Magic Entertainment Complex?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Xander said:

I'm going to disagree with what seems to be the general consensus and say I do believe it will be built. And even if it is not built as the current concept it will go forward as a mixed use development to include hotel/ housing/ office/ retail. When? I don't know, but given the current building trend, and assuming that mood continues, I'd guess groundbreak within 2 years.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I just miss the garage they tore down incredibly premature.

You know, I posted basically the same sentiment about hating to see that garage demolished way back when it was first announced, and I think I received some rather pointed disagreement. 

Perfectly good garage that looked pretty good (as parking garages go) with good retail and restaurant space along the street level.

Of course, your comment might have been sarcastic or facetious, but still...

3 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

They could have kept it and painted it baby blue!

Would've made a great location for our favorite convenience store chain, too. 

• Like 2

Outfits like Carolina-Florida Properties have made a fortune buying and reselling properties in Parramore for a long time, in some cases in questionable deals like that with the federal courthouse.

I have no idea if such things are still going on but it would be wonderful still had the investigative chops to look into it.

Interestingly, Buddy has always remained rather quiet about such maneuvers. Perhaps everything is on the up and up but it always seems like their is an invisible hand at work over there. Or maybe I’m just getting paranoid in my dotage.

6 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

You know, I posted basically the same sentiment about hating to see that garage demolished way back when it was first announced, and I think I received some rather pointed disagreement. 

Perfectly good garage that looked pretty good (as parking garages go) with good retail and restaurant space along the street level.

Oh, Thank Heaven!

32 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I remember agreeing with you back then, and still do today. That wasn't the block I felt needed redevelopment in the first place. It always felt like a way to get a sweetheart deal from the city and knocking it down was necessary to make sure they don';t have any obligations or risks that their new use won't be better then the old one, and worth the city's relocation costs..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Xander said:

Would you like me to equally quote every single political comment, all of which were inappropriate and shouldn't have been posted here? Because i'm going to tell you right now, I DO NOT CARE who I quoted, so DO NOT try to pull me into a political argument in the middle of a reply about not wanting to talk about politics- it's incredibly redundant, a shining example of whataboutism that I have no interest in, and will gain you no reply from this point forward. 

Yes, I would like to to quote every single political comment. Thanks, I’ll hang up and listen.

Let's stop with the political posts please and stay on topic. You're welcome to create a political thread for those that want to discuss such things in the coffee house but let's keep it out of regular threads please.

Thank you

2 hours ago, Neo said:

Let's stop with the political posts please and stay on topic. You're welcome to create a political thread for those that want to discuss such things in the coffee house but let's keep it out of regular threads please.

Thank you

Thank you as well.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:56 PM, JFW657 said:

Not sarcastic.  It was just a parking garage and if it had been torn down to immediately build, I would be cool.

But tearing it down and not building anything for years is stupid.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Not sarcastic.  It was just a parking garage and if it had been torn down to immediately build, I would be cool.

Ennis Davis wants you onthe Jax city council STAT! Sadly, their whole philosophy of fixing their downtown seems to be tearing down interesting old buildings and waiting decades for someone to do something.

4 hours ago, HankStrong said:

I think all they did was ensure no retail or food competition for their building. Really always thought that's all the demolition was about. 

• Like 2

I think it was just bad planning.  Or they really intended to build sooner.

Although wasn’t the city subsidizing the merchants already? Maybe that was a factor.

I remember when Howl at the Moon closed to make way for 55West and there were quite a few years that they could have stayed open for.

On 5/10/2019 at 1:09 PM, spenser1058 said:

Just imagine if Publix had kept their Pix convenience stores and we could have had little green Publii all over downtown instead of sevvies!?!

So a Kroger executive walks into their HQ after a trip to Florida and exclaims:  "OMG, you won't believe all that Publii down in the Sunshine State!"

On 5/10/2019 at 9:13 AM, JFW657 said:

Putin received a lot of ribbing because of his propensity for posing shirtless doing macho things like riding a horse and shooting a hunting rifle, etc.

Then there was this little Photoshop job...

https://cdn20.patchcdn.com/users/22792898/20170510/024233/styles/T800x600/public/article_images/trump-putin-1494398124-9919.jpg

this awesome photo actually makes me want to vote for him!

19 hours ago, Xander said:

Thank you as well.

Ditto about politics.  But I guess the reason this thread got derailed is because it's like VMC at this point and I don't believe this organization has what it takes to pull this project off.   And as a result, the thread becomes like the Coffee House.

Hope I'm wrong, though.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2019 at 12:56 PM, JFW657 said:

Agreed and the ground floor retail component added to the pedestrian experience after the Amway Center opened. I don't think any of us anticipated such a long delay in the development of the MEC property. IMO, once the city grants a demolition permit for redevelopment, fines should be imposed on the property owner each year the lot remains undeveloped and they should be required to add and maintain streetscaping until development commences. There are several lots along S Orange Ave that look absolutely horrible and would benefit from a rule like this where the buildings were bulldozed but the original foundations were left behind.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

If the Magic were smart, they would make this complex *the* entertainment center of the city and set up something similar to KC's Power & Light District, complete with a stage and covered central area for viewing parties. Would be an absolute hit here. 

B__DkwxUUAAMxhv.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Xander said:

If the Magic were smart, they would make this complex *the* entertainment center of the city and set up something similar to KC's Power & Light District, complete with a stage and covered central area for viewing parties. Would be an absolute hit here. 

B__DkwxUUAAMxhv.jpg

“If the Magic were smart” - I believe that’s an oxymoron.

Good idea, though.

• Haha 2