Orlando Magic Entertainment Complex [Proposed]

Dale

7 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Why not go all out, ala Las Vegas and The Fremont Street Experience?...

IMG_1110-ANIMATION.gif

As long as we're spending their money, anyway.... 

Wasn’t Fremont Street where Bob Snow’s place  was in Vegas? *cues Twilight Zone music*

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

I'm trying to figure out what all these people would be watching or doing?  At either location.

I see an event worth it about once every 2-4 years.  That's a bad investment.

If it's modeled similarly to the P &L District, the main event space in the middle is anchored by bars, restaurants and other various businesses, so the covered middle area would also be extended outside seating for each venue. The main center area  would have a stage, as well as big screen tv's that would be used both for viewing parties, as well as visual aid to on-stage performances. This could be used for various events, multiple times a year, including both the Women's and Men's World Cup, The Super Bowl, The Olympics, Magic away playoff games, Orlando City away games, UCF away games(would help boost a local connection to the new CV campus that's about to open), as well as rental space for private events. I don't see that as being a bad investment- I think it gives downtown an additional event space option that we don't currently have. 

Edited by Xander
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, HankStrong said:

I'm trying to figure out what all these people would be watching or doing?  At either location.

I see an event worth it about once every 2-4 years.  That's a bad investment.

I was actually being facetious about the video canopy.

Might work for Vegas, but would probably be a bit much for downtown Orlando.

10 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I dunno - that’s part of the party district so I can see it fitting in. If it were Eola Heights or something it would be different.

If we’re serious about at least an 18/6 downtown it probably belongs.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I dunno - that’s part of the party district so I can see it fitting in. If it were Eola Heights or something it would be different.

If we’re serious about at least an 18/6 downtown it probably belongs.

Something like that would be cool over the section of Church St underneath I-4.

Over the Church St Station section might come off as kinda tacky. 

Come to think of it, rather than basketball courts and soccer pitches, the area designated for the Under I-4 project might be put to better use for aforementioned idea about creating a district akin to the P&L in KC.

Tie it in with the MEC.

Video canopy included.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Something like that would be cool over the section of Church St underneath I-4.

Over the Church St Station section might come off as kinda tacky. 

Come to think of it, rather than basketball courts and soccer pitches, the area designated for the Under I-4 project might be put to better use for aforementioned idea about creating a district akin to the P&L in KC.

Tie it in with the MEC.

Video canopy included.

UnderI works for me also. I’m just a party animal! Oh wait, that’s Andy -I’m just boring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I think it would be perfect in Orlando for all the partiers and ravers...it would be a little like the Daisy Electric Carnival thingy...

On 7/9/2019 at 4:05 PM, codypet said:

So I actually did the zipline along that roof in Vegas last year and it was so much fun.  You can make out the zipline cables in that photo.  It would be cool to have something like that over church.  Especially if you can go under I-4 when its done with it.

do it from Lattitudes...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I think it would be perfect in Orlando for all the partiers and ravers...it would be a little like the Daisy Electric Carnival thingy...

do it from Lattitudes...

I don't know if you were half-joking, but now i'm picturing a canopy from Church St Station, all the way to the front of the Amway Center and on property at their entertainment complex, and I won't lie- i'm kinda geeking out over it......

fremont-street-experience-at-nevada-th.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/9/2019 at 5:09 PM, Xander said:

If it's modeled similarly to the P &L District, the main event space in the middle is anchored by bars, restaurants and other various businesses, so the covered middle area would also be extended outside seating for each venue. The main center area  would have a stage, as well as big screen tv's that would be used both for viewing parties, as well as visual aid to on-stage performances. This could be used for various events, multiple times a year, including both the Women's and Men's World Cup, The Super Bowl, The Olympics, Magic away playoff games, Orlando City away games, UCF away games(would help boost a local connection to the new CV campus that's about to open), as well as rental space for private events. I don't see that as being a bad investment- I think it gives downtown an additional event space option that we don't currently have. 

You literally just described a bigger version of Wall Street with a roof added.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

You literally just described a bigger version of Wall Street with a roof added.

I did, only not as small, not as old, and not as limited in size and amenity offering. Big difference. Another difference is the actual structure being an actual attraction. Not as simple as saying 'that's Wall St with a roof'.

Edited by Xander
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Growthspotter released an article explaining why it’s taking them so long to begin.

looks like it was due to the Orlando Union Rescue Mission not having an official move out date until next week finally.

Dont get your hopes up though. Apparently a Pat Gallagher, Director of the Sports and Entertainment complex, states that they plan to move ahead “fastidiously” and that "We have one chance to make this right. So we’re taking our time to make sure we’re tackling this at all angles.” in regards to the project being a one phase development.

Heres the link:

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-orlando-magic-crew-union-mission-rescue-20190821-hul5lapcyrahxguqi4svn5asli-story.html

Edited by DreS0803
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, DreS0803 said:

Growthspotter released an article explaining why it’s taking them so long to begin.

looks like it was due to the Orlando Union Rescue Mission not having an official move out date until next week finally.

Dont get your hopes up though. Apparently a Pat Gallagher, Director of the Sports and Entertainment complex, states that they plan to move ahead “fastidiously” and that "We have one chance to make this right. So we’re taking our time to make sure we’re tackling this at all angles.” in regards to the project being a one phase development.

Heres the link:

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-orlando-magic-crew-union-mission-rescue-20190821-hul5lapcyrahxguqi4svn5asli-story.html

Per article they are also hoping to pin down office and retail tenants and there was a brief mention of the I-4 underpass development which may weigh into there timeline.

I, for one, have always thought this would happen. It makes too much sense for the Magic to see it through. With the west side developing- the underpass, CV, Exploria... I think the time is right. Let's hope the economy holds up for them.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Per article they are also hoping to pin down office and retail tenants and there was a brief mention of the I-4 underpass development which may weigh into there timeline.

I, for one, have always thought this would happen. It makes too much sense for the Magic to see it through. With the west side developing- the underpass, CV, Exploria... I think the time is right. Let's hope the economy holds up for them.

I strongly believe if they don't build this by the end of next year, it won't happen and they'll have to end up selling the land. The economy is on the verge of a downturn.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DreS0803 said:

Heres the link:

so this is about the time where I chime in and dog this organization.  I won't.  I'll just let the facts speak for themselves:

regardless of the date of the first post in this thread, which is some time in 2017, the Magic first announced this project in November 2013.  Does everyone remember what's been built in Downtown Orlando since then? See below:

Steelhouse, NORA (2-3 retailers), The Sevens, 420 Artisan (6+ retailers), Modera  (U-Club), CitiTower, Skyhouse (2 retailers), Novel Lucerne (Earthfare), Crescent Center (8 retailers), Residence Inn,  Brownstones off Mariposa, Exploria Soccer Stadium, OPD's new HQ off OBT,

And projects currently u/c: 520 Church Street, CSP, Radius, The Yard,  Broadstone Lake House, and...Phase II of DPAC (how unlikely was this to ever get off the ground?)

I won't even go into DPAC and Creative Village.  CV was proposed in 2010 but IMO, it was far tougher to get tenants for that project at that time because nobody knew that UCF would be a player until later.  Now, you have Amelia Court, Union West, and the classroom building all finished, with Prism u/c.

But I believe their reasons for the delays are BS.  They just don't have the money lined up; tenants, loan, etc.  and the don't want it to get out because it makes them look bad, unlike a company like Unicorp that has a good rep for this sort of thing, or, ISC, which just got street cred for One Daytona.  I've already drawn comparisons to ISC in Daytona, and for the record, maybe unfairly, and One Daytona is now fully operational (I sound like Emperor Palpatine) since the opening of the Marriott branded hotel there prior to July 2019.  They first announced this project in August 2013 and broke ground in 2016.  But One Daytona was a big risk too because of its location.

OPD opened their new HQ on OBT in March 2017 to clear the way to the Magic.  It has been 2 years and 6 months since then.

Their I-4 underpass mumbo jumbo is nothing but a red herring.  This "one-phase" BS is...BS.  If it's not one thing it's something else.  Trust me, Buddy isn't holding his breath on this one.  

They are utterly incompetent or they are up to something where they're gonna try to get money from the City or some tourist tax money like they got for the Amway Center.  Wait and see.

24 minutes ago, Xander said:

I strongly believe if they don't build this by the end of next year, it won't happen and they'll have to end up selling the land. The economy is on the verge of a downturn.

don't hold your breath...O2 is precious and having faith in The Magic organization for anything is faith misplaced.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yup, this one phase crap is total non-sense. Originally when they went to go knock down the parking garage/retail building and kick out all the retailers who sat waiting with no business while the Amway Center was being built, they said they had to get that demolished immediately so they could start on phase 1, and it'd be a 2 phase project, to get it done as quickly as possible. As soon as it was demolished then they were ready to build a surface parking lot over where the perfectly fine parking garage used to be... because they ran into delays. They only wanted everything demolished so the city couldn't say give us the property back since you aren't doing your part...

I think jrs2 is right: as soon as the current hold ups are done, they're going to  be asking the city/TDT for money so we don't have the blighted empty lot that they created.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would add that Buddy aided and abetted this from the beginning so he is hardly an innocent bystander in this. Whenever the DeVos family says “jump”, he has always said “how high”?

There are a lot of things to thank Buddy for over the years but from Day One he’s been beholden to the suits.

Orlando, if we want to be a big city, it’s time to make our politics up to the task. 

Edited by spenser1058

So I'll chime in with what seems to be a different perspective. If this was my development I would slow roll it in this same way. This area is in no way ready to support what the Magic have proposed to build. This project is, compared to some other teams projects, pretty small and not intended to be self sustaining and will rely on bodies coming from other parts of downtown (and elsewhere). At this time, it is like a war zone on I-4 so you will not get visitors from out of downtown. And if you wander E. Church street it is tumbleweeds day and night unless there is a soccer game or Arena event.

If I was the developer I would purchase the land (done), get everyone out of it (soon to be done) while working on lining up tenants before I ever put a shovel in the ground. I'd rather have the $10M carrying costs of recently vacated property then building a $200M property that is set up to fail because there is no traffic. Remember a significant portion of this is supposed to be retail- which needs traffic. All those other projects built downtown had a built in need. They were not attempting to create need.

If I was the developer I'd wait for CV to bring in customers, I'd wait for CSP to get committed tenants and I'd wait for CSP2 to show their hand on timeline. I'd also be hoping that Hirschfeld is serious about his Parramore project. I'd also know a definitive completion for UnderI4 and when the downtown exits are to competed.Until then, I'd buy my property at rock bottom prices and wait it out hoping the economy doesn't hit the fan in the interim. Also, this single phase stuff is not new- Alex Martins mentioned it to ticket holders back several months back and Mayor Dyer discussed it on sports talk in June or July.

Bottom line, every single pro sports team wants to build this type project- many have, many are and many are trying. Some take time, see the Bucks and the Chiefs. Whoever the owner is- and btw the Devos have the money to do this today- it will get done and it will be on terms suitable for the owner. Will it involve TDT, who knows, but I would not be surprised if they made the ask.

8 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Orlando, if we want to be a big city, it’s time to make our politics up to the task. 

I highly respect you and your opinion Spenser, but that is laughable when you take into account how "Big City" politics are known to run. No disrespect to you, but our past 3 administrations have all been beholden to different suits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1