Orlando Magic Entertainment Complex [Proposed]

Dale

On 10/30/2019 at 8:21 AM, codypet said:

I am curious what this thing would look like from I-4.  I only ever see this angle.

There are a couple added images here, but you're right, I've not see that perspective.

https://bungalower.com/2019/10/30/updated-plans-submitted-for-orlando-magic-entertainment-district/

18 hours ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

Pine street should continue through all the way to Estadio Exploria and be completely pedestrian exclusive.

Doesn't appear so. See above link.

39 minutes ago, Tim3167 said:

I'm a bit confused. Are all the images being shown with news articles and press releases of the previous design and not the one with increased scale? Is there one showing the taller 18 story office tower and the larger hotel?

Some of each in the Bungalower article - not sure where else you're looking. The most recent plan has the diagonal residential tower at the NW corner of the site. 

44 minutes ago, Tim3167 said:

Nope, these images are from Sept. 2018. Go ahead and look at page 5 of this thread.

Yes.  "Team executives released the reconfigured site plan and conceptual renderings to the public over a year ago, but it had not sought to formally amend the Planned Development with City of Orlando until this month."

So even though we have been looking at the pictures for the past year, they were not what was formally proposed to the City. The above photos are the "new" concept, but a year old.

• 1 month later...

As discussed back in Oct, the Magic had released updated plans to the S+ED, but they had not gone to the MPB with those plans. They did that in Oct and the MPB has approved the plans to significantly increase the footage.

Problem, the increase puts S+ED over permitted FAR, even with density and usage bonuses. Solution, the City created a revision to the Land Code to exclude the hotels 80k feet of conference space from FAR calculations. "This benefit would apply only within the Central Business District, primarily spanning the AC-3A/T district but also other non-residential districts such as AC-2. " It sure is nice to know people in high places...

The changes to the building under the changes to the code must go before the MPB in Feb., but that seems like a done deal since they already "conditionally" approved it (conditional on the Land Use change).

Oh, and they are back to building in phases. This time 2.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-sed-mpb-20191217-kj27hkpnabgivlsqw4j2e4zvpi-story.html

3 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

As discussed back in Oct, the Magic had released updated plans to the S+ED, but they had not gone to the MPB with those plans. They did that in Oct and the MPB has approved the plans to significantly increase the footage.

Problem, the increase puts S+ED over permitted FAR, even with density and usage bonuses. Solution, the City created a revision to the Land Code to exclude the hotels 80k feet of conference space from FAR calculations. "This benefit would apply only within the Central Business District, primarily spanning the AC-3A/T district but also other non-residential districts such as AC-2. " It sure is nice to know people in high places...

The changes to the building under the changes to the code must go before the MPB in Feb., but that seems like a done deal since they already "conditionally" approved it (conditional on the Land Use change).

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-sed-mpb-20191217-kj27hkpnabgivlsqw4j2e4zvpi-story.html

Greta Thunberg just called and said get a move on, we only have twelve years tops.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, jliv said:

Oh you conservatards get all triggered about a 16-year old, but you think Tomi Lahren is an intellectual giant!

(Calm down, y’all...just jokes)

16yo?  LOL.  What did I miss?  That's the AOC in IN and OH.

I had to google Tomi Lahren.  Um...dunno if she's smart or not; attractive...yes.

3 hours ago, AmIReal said:

is that February 2020?  Or will they wait for I-4 to get finished and just host the MPB then...in like...2023?

Edited by jrs2

14 hours ago, elefants said:

Let's keep this more on topic please.

The reason this thread is not all that on topic is because the Magic organization is not to be taken seriously.  They already stated months ago they were in no hurry because of the I-4 construction.  I for one do not believe that they will ever build anything across the street from Amway.  Go back and see when this thread began for reference.  People get cynical here and I am no exception.  

Pat Williams may be a shmuck, but when you see an NBA organization make bone headed moves repeatedly and then state that they plan to get into real estate too, and love to see their name plastered all over the OBJ like some sort of savior to the downtown scene in a PR frenzy, it disgusts me...thoroughly.  One phase...no...two phases...no...one phase...oh wait...two phases...yeah...like people didn’t see that one coming.  

They are like the Superchannel 55 people, except instead of individual donations they are looking for a payout from the City or County or both I guarantee you.  That’s what all the delay is about.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

The reason this thread is not all that on topic is because the Magic organization is not to be taken seriously.  They already stated months ago they were in no hurry because of the I-4 construction.  I for one do not believe that they will ever build anything across the street from Amway.  Go back and see when this thread began for reference.  People get cynical here and I am no exception.  

Pat Williams may be a shmuck, but when you see an NBA organization make bone headed moves repeatedly and then state that they plan to get into real estate too, and love to see their name plastered all over the OBJ like some sort of savior to the downtown scene in a PR frenzy, it disgusts me...thoroughly.  One phase...no...two phases...no...one phase...oh wait...two phases...yeah...like people didn’t see that one coming.  

They are like the Superchannel 55 people, except instead of individual donations they are looking for a payout from the City or County or both I guarantee you.  That’s what all the delay is about.

What would be their purpose of buying land, hiring attorneys, architects and engineers, contracting with commercial realtors to place on market, seek and receive entitlements, demo buildings and go forth to the public that they are going to build the project. Was their goal all along to have a big, dusty parking lot? What sort of a "payout" would they be seeking from the City- buy back the land...? Sorry, but that just doesn't make sense.

Will the Magic build here? Likely, but if not it will get built on. There is just no reason to seek these very specific variances and entitlements unless you have a very specific  plan. That indicates, at least to me, someone has intent to build. 

Also, the timeline on this project doesn't worry me- I don't think 3-5 years build time is unusual- and I think the stated delays, buyout and relocation of the homeless shelter and I4 construction, are normal.

And yes, Pat Williams is still a shmuck, but is a fairly affable fellow.

Edited by AmIReal

I like this project, I hope they nab the office tenants necessary to convince debt/equity.

I also think adding a sports district would lend Orlando a bit of what Chicago has, small microcosm bar districts that appeal to different audiences.  Right now if you go out for the night, the city is somewhat a scattered by way of bar vibe.  Hipster speakeasy, frat bar, brewery, high end steak bar.  Adding a sports district for hooligans will allow for the other genres to cluster.  An area for wine-os, one for hipsters, another for beer enthusiasts.  Its a long way off, but these kind of clusters lead to things like special drink festivals.  German beer fest in the beerhood, wine walks, bar crawls are all better once it arrives.

Edited by ChiDev
  • Like 2