Orlando Magic Entertainment Complex [Proposed]

Dale

9 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Construction to start in April? Also, good to have them sign on to support for women-led firms and Parramore residents to have priority for jobs.

https://twitter.com/byryangillespie/status/1226960533305413639?s=21

So is this thing going to be similar to RDV sportsplex? Last year, EA Sports VP Daryl Holt seemed to foreshadow the possibility saying, "I’m waiting to see who’s going to step up in downtown and build the next RDV. Clock's ticking." The RDV was popular w/EA Sports employees due to their close proximity to the facility in Maitland. https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/10/11/local-ea-head-clocks-ticking-to-build-this-in.html

4 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

So is this thing going to be similar to RDV sportsplex? Last year, EA Sports VP Daryl Holt seemed to foreshadow the possibility saying, "I’m waiting to see who’s going to step up in downtown and build the next RDV. Clock's ticking." The RDV was popular w/EA Sports employees due to their close proximity to the facility in Maitland. https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/10/11/local-ea-head-clocks-ticking-to-build-this-in.html

It does seem to be. I remember all the kerfuffle when they decided to build up in Seminole, including their offices for a while.

10 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Does that mean to might have an ice skating rink? Or am I getting that confused with something else? If so, that would be a HUGE draw for downtown Orlando.

I can't imagine any ice would be included. RDV is 365,000 sq ft while this new facility is slated to be around 100,000. I am very intrigued at the EA CEO nod to needing a facility like RDV downtown and if there was a wink wink dialog tied to the EA move that this was happening. Did the articles state if there would be a public health club as part fo this, I can't recall.

On 2/13/2020 at 10:01 AM, codypet said:

Well I found a new favorite image.

giphy-6.gif

It's fitting, especially with The magic ala how they dupe everyone to drink their Kool Aid about how they are this and how they are that ala team management and the ability to get this project off the ground.  Stuff is cool, though...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

We've know this is planned to be "sports and entertainment", but this is the first I've heard of a music venue.

"We intend on having a music venue similar to a House of Blues, entertainment-themed retail that primarily focuses on sports and entertainment..."

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/03/08/orlando-magic-ceo-talks-youth-foundation-future-projects/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AmIReal said:

We've know this is planned to be "sports and entertainment", but this is the first I've heard of a music venue.

"We intend on having a music venue similar to a House of Blues, entertainment-themed retail that primarily focuses on sports and entertainment..."

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/03/08/orlando-magic-ceo-talks-youth-foundation-future-projects/

That's interesting considering The Vanguard (Firestone) will be a similar size to HoB when completed.   I'm not going to complain about an abundance of venues, of course.

I certainly am not opposed if it happens. It sure does seem they keep throwing stuff out to see what sticks, though, instead of, you know, building anything.

Although I assume they have a lot more backing them up than Miss Ponte (just sell a few more Amway memberships!), it does seem reminiscent of VMC, doesn’t it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I certainly am not opposed if it happens. It sure does seem they keep throwing stuff out to see what sticks, though, instead of, you know, building anything.

Although I assume they have a lot more backing them up than Miss Ponte (just sell a few more Amway memberships!), it does seem reminiscent of VMC, doesn’t it?

//broken record//...so I'll spare everyone...but...ditto to your sentiments b/c you are 100% correct.

similar venue to HoB?  Well, there's Hard Rock.  Is there anything else?  Or are they thinking about just any ole dive where bands can play that doesn't have to be a major chain?

in fact, I believe the training facility which will house an orthopedic center is probably going to mainly be an orthopedic center with an ancillary indoor court attached; something where the money will probably come from the partner for at least half of it or more.  A project they can see happening sooner than later to give the appearance that they are doing something to potential investors- that if they had half a brain would see through their rouge (sp).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

//broken record//...so I'll spare everyone...but...ditto to your sentiments b/c you are 100% correct.

similar venue to HoB?  Well, there's Hard Rock.  Is there anything else?  Or are they thinking about just any ole dive where bands can play that doesn't have to be a major chain?

in fact, I believe the training facility which will house an orthopedic center is probably going to mainly be an orthopedic center with an ancillary indoor court attached; something where the money will probably come from the partner for at least half of it or more.  A project they can see happening sooner than later to give the appearance that they are doing something to potential investors- that if they had half a brain would see through their rouge (sp).

Probably totally unrelated but back when HoB was first in play for DD West Side, there was talk of a downtown one, also. This was in the ‘mid-90’s when downtown Orlando was still having its 15 minutes of music fame (and before Lou Pearlman crashed and burned).Nothing ever came of it, of course. However, HoB in Anaheim closed, so might WDW’s be next? This is sheer speculation.

• Like 1

HoB still draws pretty good business.  I have a hard time thinking that we could have had both DD and Downtown.  JRS is right though.  we have HoB, and Hardrock.  Then there's Social, Vanguard, Beecham, and Plaza Live.   I don't know if we really need another one.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Does the "Jim and Alexis Pugh" Theater at DPAC count? I've never been, but I remember it being described as a live performance space aka black box prior to Phase I construction: https://www.drphillipscenter.org/explore/theaters-spaces/alexis-and-jim-pugh-theater/

I've definitely seen a few shows at DPAC so that's another one.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, elefants said:

I've definitely seen a few shows at DPAC so that's another one.

It sounds like the Green Room at DPAC will no longer be a rehearsal hall as originally planned, but a jazz club/cabaret space.  I assume any kind of music could be programmed there. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, codypet said:

HoB still draws pretty good business.  I have a hard time thinking that we could have had both DD and Downtown.  JRS is right though.  we have HoB, and Hardrock.  Then there's Social, Vanguard, Beecham, and Plaza Live.   I don't know if we really need another one.  

I'd redefine your list as HoB, Hardrock, and DPAC.

No way do the Social/Beacham, Vanguard (AKA Firestone), or even Ace Cafe compare in terms to those 3.  That's like comparing apples to oranges.  You can see great shows at any of them, but they are nowhere close to the same class of venues.

11 minutes ago, orlandouprise said:

let the crap show begin... BB will value engineer this with the Magic so that it look as bad as possible. That way it can blend in with their other $hitty designs. Nice!

With the economy tanking as we speak, value engineering might be the only way this actually happens.  All projects that haven’t yet started are now at risk of never happening, imo. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1