Orlando Magic Entertainment Complex [Proposed]

Dale

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It would be nice to say this surprises me in any way but it really doesn’t.

LOL.  this one is just too easy of a target to sling stuff at... oh man.

they say that BB will value engineer this thing... but...to value engineer a project you first need a viable project to start with.  being that I personally don't believe that anything will ever get built there, bringing in BB doesn't really phase me.  it's just another "excuse" they can point to to explain away any delays in construction.  Ever see The Exorcist?  I am Regan propel vomiting at that organization.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

LOL.  this one is just too easy of a target to sling stuff at... oh man.

they say that BB will value engineer this thing... but...to value engineer a project you first need a viable project to start with.  being that I personally don't believe that anything will ever get built there, bringing in BB doesn't really phase me.  it's just another "excuse" they can point to to explain away any delays in construction.  Ever see The Exorcist?  I am Regan propel vomiting at that organization.

You know the real story... the Magic are just waiting to announce it will be a Vertical Medical City!

• Thanks 1

then don't build it. I don't want more half assed buildings going up like Central Station. Permanent eyesores for the sake of building. enough is enough.

11 hours ago, leondecollao said:

With the economy tanking as we speak, value engineering might be the only way this actually happens.  All projects that haven’t yet started are now at risk of never happening, imo. 

Edited by orlandouprise

1 hour ago, orlandouprise said:

then don't build it. I don't want more half assed buildings going up like Central Station. Permanent eyesores for the sake of building. enough is enough.

Somehow I don't believe investors (if here are any) are taking your aesthetic perspective into consideration.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, orange87 said:

The article says this will be built on a 2.58-acre city-owned lot across from the Amway Center and next to the future Sports+Entertainment District. I can't figure out where that is. Can somebody post a pic of where it will be on the map please?

There’s a map in the MPB Staff Report: Link to MPB Staff Report

Edit: also a map in the ARB Report: here.

Edited by Jerry95
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jerry95 said:

There’s a map in the MPB Staff Report: Link to MPB Staff Report

Edit: also a map in the ARB Report: here.

Thanks for posting. The ARB filing has the first renderings I've seen.  While the building isn't unattractive, its hostile to the neighborhood, with no active uses or transparency on the ground floor. Staff have addressed that, but it's shameful that it was proposed like this.  It feels like the Magic are doing this project solely to build a buffer between SEC and the neighborhood its in to keep away any "undesirables."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smileguy said:

Thanks for posting. The ARB filing has the first renderings I've seen.  While the building isn't unattractive, its hostile to the neighborhood, with no active uses or transparency on the ground floor. Staff have addressed that, but it's shameful that it was proposed like this.  It feels like the Magic are doing this project solely to build a buffer between SEC and the neighborhood its in to keep away any "undesirables."

Just out of curiosity, what kind of active uses or transparency are needed in a sports practice facility? Seems like privacy would be a legitimate concern for them.

Also, how would a building keep people away from a complex it's across the street from?  And, is there something wrong with wanting to keep bums away from a place where people go to have fun?

Anyway, I didn't want to d/l the PDF file, but I found these on HOK's website....

Orlando-Magic-Training-Facility_Northeas

Orlando-Magic-Training-Facility_Northwes

Same ones?

https://www.hok.com/news/2020-04/nbas-orlando-magic-seek-approval-for-new-downtown-practice-facility/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Just out of curiosity, what kind of active uses or transparency are needed in a sports practice facility? Seems like privacy would be a legitimate concern for them.

Also, how would a building keep people away from a complex it's across the street from?  And, is there something wrong with wanting to keep bums away from a place where people go to have fun?

I don't mean to speak for anyone, but I'm assuming he's looking for ground-level retail or something that drives foot traffic along the sidewalks.  Buildings lacking that are unappealing to pedestrians and discourage people from heading in that direction.   The real sin to me is being a two-story building downtown with surface level parking.

Edit: Three story, I guess, but I stand by my comment.

Edited by elefants
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, elefants said:

I don't mean to speak for anyone, but I'm assuming he's looking for ground-level retail or something that drives foot traffic along the sidewalks.  Buildings lacking that are unappealing to pedestrians and discourage people from heading in that direction.   The real sin to me is being a two-story building downtown with surface level parking.

Edit: Three story, I guess, but I stand by my comment.

Exactly.

Central on the East vs. West side of I-4 is night and day.  For the vibrancy we see from the railroad tracks to Summerlin, we get the opposite on the West side, continuing development that gives nothing to its neighborhood.  Consider the walk starting at Parramore, along the LYMMO line.  On the South, you have a big blank wall on the stadium and on the north, a big blank wall on the Coalition. Then you have the empty lot that was originally going to be the stadium location. Crossing Terry, you'll have this big blank wall on the south and the proposed site of DXV Central Tower to the north. Next block, you have the Fed courthouse with a plaza, but no active use on the street, and SED garage.

I don't have a solution. Traditional retail is a long shot here, but it feels like a really crapty development pattern to impose on a historically black neighborhood.  Parramore needs eyes on the street, not corporate bunkers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, smileguy said:

Exactly.

Central on the East vs. West side of I-4 is night and day.  For the vibrancy we see from the railroad tracks to Summerlin, we get the opposite on the West side, continuing development that gives nothing to its neighborhood.  Consider the walk starting at Parramore, along the LYMMO line.  On the South, you have a big blank wall on the stadium and on the north, a big blank wall on the Coalition. Then you have the empty lot that was originally going to be the stadium location. Crossing Terry, you'll have this big blank wall on the south and the proposed site of DXV Central Tower to the north. Next block, you have the Fed courthouse with a plaza, but no active use on the street, and SED garage.

I don't have a solution. Traditional retail is a long shot here, but it feels like a really crapty development pattern to impose on a historically black neighborhood.  Parramore needs eyes on the street, not corporate bunkers.

No one should be surprised. Remember when the O-Rena was completed, they couldn’t move the offices and other ancillary facilities to Seminole County fast enough.

Pretty much the only reason that changed came about in order to snag more ORANGE COUNTY money for the second arena.

You nailed it on the “corporate bunkers”. Unlike Thornton Park and Eola Heights, organic growth in Parramore has had few champions. That’s why, 17 years after Buddy said we should judge his administration by the success of Parramore, we’re still waiting. You would have thought we had learned from the failures of “Urban Renewal” in the ‘50s and the ‘60’s but if we did, Buddy never got the memo. Too many folks like Carolina-Florida Properties had their hands out to let growth spring up by cultivating the grass roots. Oh well, enjoy the concrete.

1 hour ago, smileguy said:

For the vibrancy we see from the railroad tracks to Summerlin, we get the opposite on the West side, continuing development that gives nothing to its neighborhood. 

This is exactly correct.  What's worse is that we also have a system of double blocks along the west side of I-4 which makes the west area even more disconnected.  We have the railroad tracks and the insane number of parking garages lining the tracks, then we have an interstate then we have blocks that are twice as long (north to south) as the blocks on the east side of I-4.  With this project, the MEC and the stadium, Pine Street will basically be a disconnected alley from Division to the stadium.  There was an excellent opportunity to take advantage of Pine Street and connect east and west and our wealthiest development group was in charge but we end up with this.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...