Orlando Magic Entertainment Complex [Proposed]

Dale

3 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I don't get it. What do the Magic owners gain by not building it? Save money? Then why get the land in the first place? Why would they choose to have an eyesore right next to their stadium?

They’re in over their heads. Frankly, I don’t blame them  - I blame those who didn’t do their due diligence and handed them a sweetheart deal without ascertaining their competence (or lack thereof). That, however, is how Orlando is run today and it shows.

15 hours ago, orange87 said:

I don't get it. What do the Magic owners gain by not building it? Save money? Then why get the land in the first place? Why would they choose to have an eyesore right next to their stadium?

...because they suck.

they suck at real estate and they suck at NBA.  they will always do the bare minimum to ensure season ticket sales.  once those sales suffer they will dig deep and spend more money.

They want investors for the entertainment complex.  they don't have any, therefore, no groundbreaking. 

They have a sponsor for the training facility... deep pockets Advent Health...it is u/c as a result not surprisingly...

Their moving to CNL II is just another media ploy to get people to think they're going to do something.  For example:  "Hey, buy this stock on Wall Street because it's hot right now."  "Oh, ok, let me tell my friends and so on."  Self fulfilling prophecy.  Now the stock is hot because of the "rumor" and "hype" machine.  Thank Bizjournals, the ultimate Magic cheerleader or that (can't blame them, they're only doing their job).

That's the Magic organization.  All hype and no substance.  Not getting into any analysis on past personnel moves; just research my old posts and you see their track record.  I mean... they allow Dwight to dictate the firing of Van Jeremy and then he leaves?  Fo realz?  The management should've been fired that day.  

Do they really have 200 high paying jobs in Maitland?  What exactly are these highly paid people doing?  Nothing?  Sign my @ss up for that job...I mean...200?  Did some of them come up with that awful new logo the past couple seasons?  Why change it at all, to really signal the permanent fall into NBA oblivion with a crapty logo?

ISC in Daytona proposes a sports venue entertainment complex at least a year or two AFTER the Magic do and this thing is for the most part built out in phase 1 and a success.  The cinema is back online and a week ago their parking lot was almost full...again...like it was pre-covid.  The only major casualty I saw there was Pitbull's eatery- but they were already struggling pre-covid.  Even these race track types had the smarts to partner with competent developers to make that project, with cinema, two hotels, big anchors, chain eateries, and...and...their already existing HQ building incorporated within (like the Tragic wish to do) and a residential component that is now fully built out.

It seems one of the few developers that know how to do "entertainment and retail" is Unicorp, but that's because they are a good landlord and as a result they have more or less partnerships with some of the same retailers from plaza to plaza.  The Magic just have a track record for pissing people off and waiting for handouts from The City.  Buddy's not even that dense to fall for that ploy, although he did state the City would give an incentive for a larger convention space hotel...but that makes sense.

The clock is ticking though...two new hotels have opened up downtown since these self aggrandizing egomaniacs announced their intention to take on LA directly. Ha.   What a joke.

Go ahead...keep attending social events, Chamber events, and the like, be good community outreach people, but in the end know that most everyone knows your management wouldn't make it doing the same job at a real organization, NBA or other.

Thank you, Orange87, for giving me an opportunity to slam them yet again by opening the door for analysis to your question.  It is much less douchy for me to do it in this manner than to just randomly slam them (and answer your question) on this thread for no apparent reason.

Ok.  They have an eyesore in front of Amway because they need other people's money to fluff their egos, and the money people (the smart ones) see this and don't trust them as business partners.  So they are waiting for the City to do it instead and Buddy's too smart for that because he also knows that Amway has a lot of money...they just don't want to spend their own money (can't really blame them though- politicians do it all the time).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

Looks good, as usual. But it don’t mean squat until it gets built. I’m still hopeful but kinda losing enthusiasm for the likelihood of this project with each passing year.

As am I. I just find it odd that this is the updated renderings. That gives me at least a small amount of hope. 

• Like 1

I drove by there today on the way back from Popeye's and some asshole was tailgating me so I couldn't snap a shot.  I have to say, I am impressed by this.  You can see the gym portion u/c away from Central Ave.  It's pretty impressive.  I can see this thing being a big asset when they try to lure some NCAA events etc., to the Amway.  The more facilities the better.  Yes, they paid me off to say something positive... just kidding...

yes, Popeye's is my cocaine...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So the devos family purchased a smaller ownership share in the Orlando City

would assume that’s a great thing for this proposed district, as it can now be programmed for both sports teams.  And the new Orlando city owners are also in real estate devevelopemmt.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, tm68 said:

So the devos family purchased a smaller ownership share in the Orlando City

would assume that’s a great thing for this proposed district, as it can now be programmed for both sports teams.  And the new Orlando city owners are also in real estate devevelopemmt.

fascinating.  a synergy of specialties (if you can call tanking an NBA franchise a specialty- well, I guess it can be)

Did the Magic get City or County money for this project?  Do we know?

7 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

fascinating.  a synergy of specialties (if you can call tanking an NBA franchise a specialty- well, I guess it can be)

Did the Magic get City or County money for this project?  Do we know?

Definitely an upfront deal with the land being the former police hq.  And I believe some potential funding for desired conference space 

possibly more

5 minutes ago, tm68 said:

Definitely an upfront deal with the land being the former police hq.  And I believe some potential funding for desired conference space 

possibly more

well, not the practice facility, right?  maybe the entertainment complex itself... I meant just the practice facility

13 minutes ago, tm68 said:

Ah.  Pretty sure it is privately funded 

oh, yeah... Advent...

I think it's a good project.  It adds to the facilities; makes DTO more marketable to host events; it develops like a square block of land and improves the neighborhood with another block of developed land- especially the west side of I-4.

And partnering with a deep pocket local company is good b/c it gets a local deep pocket company to invest in downtown; 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So...I'm not going to bash them again...at least not now.

But, based on the next phase of CV development, which is a few short blocks (maybe long blocks based on my one post) away, there is yet another hotel proposal over there for a type of Marriott.  every year they delay yet another hotel opens in downtown and is making it harder for them to justify the "demand" for their hotel with convention space...

just saying...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jrs2 said:

So...I'm not going to bash them again...at least not now.

But, based on the next phase of CV development, which is a few short blocks (maybe long blocks based on my one post) away, there is yet another hotel proposal over there for a type of Marriott.  every year they delay yet another hotel opens in downtown and is making it harder for them to justify the "demand" for their hotel with convention space...

just saying...

There's already a Marriott right there. :dontknow:

3 hours ago, F-L-A said:

There's already a Marriott right there. :dontknow:

These days (especially after swallowing up Starwood a few years back), it's more and more difficult to find a hotel that's not some kind of Marriott. 

Marriott brands: JW Marriott HotelsThe Ritz-CarltonSt. Regis Hotels & Resorts, Edition Hotels, Bulgari Hotels & ResortThe Luxury CollectioW HotelsDelta HotelsMarriott Hotels & ResortsMarriott Vacation ClubSheraton Hotels and ResortsLe MéridienRenaissance HotelsWestin HotelsGaylord HotelsCourtyard by MarriottFairfield by MarriottFour Points by SheratonProtea Hotels by MarriottSpringHill SuitesAC HotelsAloft Hotels, Moxy Hotels, Marriott Executive Apartments Residence Inn by MarriottTownePlace SuitesElement Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International, Autograph CollectionDesign HotelsTribute Portfolio

• Like 3