Orlando Magic Entertainment Complex [Proposed]

Dale

• 2 months later...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just watched Central Florida Spotlight with Greg Warmoth on Ch 9.

His guest today was Magic CEO Alex Martins.

Most of the segment was centered around Covid and how it has affected the team and its operations, etc.

They briefly touched upon the training facility and the entertainment complex.

The highlights of his comments were:

• Training facility to be completed end of May.
• Magic are transitioning to new development partner to be chosen by end of year. 
• New development partner will guarantee ground breaking in 2022 with 27 - 30 month construction time period.
• Wilf family of OCS possibly partnering with Magic on MEC. 

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Just watched Central Florida Spotlight with Greg Warmoth on Ch 9.

His guest today was Magic CEO Alex Martins.

Most of the segment was centered around Covid and how it has affected the team and its operations, etc.

They briefly touched upon the training facility and the entertainment complex.

The highlights of his comments were:

• Training facility to be completed end of May.
• Magic are transitioning to new development partner to be chosen by end of year. 
• New development partner will guarantee ground breaking in 2022 with 27 - 30 month construction time period.
• Wilf family of OCS possibly partnering with Magic on MEC. 

I give him about as much credence as Ms Ponte but if the Wilfs are buying in this might really be legit. Here’s hoping.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 11/28/2021 at 1:40 PM, spenser1058 said:

I give him about as much credence as Ms Ponte but if the Wilfs are buying in this might really be legit. Here’s hoping.

We're down with OPP- Other People's P***y;

the Magic use OPM- Other People's Money

First they got The City, then they got Advent, now, I wonder who they'll get, Unicorp or someone like that?

There's nothing wrong with using OPM in that regard, but if anyone thought these guys are going to foot the bill for anything that doesn't actually dribble the BB, then, in the words of Rob Halford, "you got a-no-ther thing co-min'!"

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

We're down with OPP- Other People's P***y;

the Magic use OPM- Other People's Money

First they got The City, then they got Advent, now, I wonder who they'll get, Unicorp or someone like that?

There's nothing wrong with using OPM in that regard, but if anyone thought these guys are going to foot the bill for anything that doesn't actually dribble the BB, then, in the words of Rob Halford, "you got a-no-ther thing co-min'!"

The Orlando Magic sure as hell got me .  I don't know why I believed...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

The Orlando Magic sure as hell got me .  I don't know why I believed...

...because they do a good job of selling...

but in the words of yet another rap artist... "don't...don't...don't be-lieve the hype."

3 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Do they even do that now?  The product on the court has been embarrassing the last few years.  I don't even believe their 2030 promise at this point.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Do they even do that now?  The product on the court has been embarrassing the last few years.  I don't even believe their 2030 promise at this point.

They’ve been scamming people for decades with Amway - they’re good at it. Meanwhile, compare the bottlesof Tide your family has used over the years vs. bottles of Amway detergent. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 3:58 PM, codypet said:

What's this 2030 promise? "We'll get back to the playoffs so we can get knocked out in the first round again -- just give us 8 more years?"

• Haha 2

On 3/21/2022 at 6:00 PM, spenser1058 said:

They’ve been scamming people for decades with Amway - they’re good at it. Meanwhile, compare the bottlesof Tide your family has used over the years vs. bottles of Amway detergent. 

You know, I've lived all around the Eastern half of this country and I've never encountered a single user of Amway products.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, F-L-A said:

What's this 2030 promise? "We'll get back to the playoffs so we can get knocked out in the first round again -- just give us 8 more years?"

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-2030-orlando-magic-20161130-story.html

Alex Martins:

"I certainly believe by 2030 we will have won at least one championship," Martins said. "And I say 'at least.' I firmly believe we're going to get there and once you get there, you got the kind of team that hopefully can come back.

"I believe we will have won a championship."

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Sort of makes you think they make just enough to use the legal fiction it’s not a total pyramid scheme…

To be a "pyramid" I think you have to make money just from a new member joining.  With their system, you only make money when people you get in start using their products, and then you help them find new members, and so on and so on.  The problem with it is that their products were too expensive or used outdated tech.  They got really big around 1990 b/c of Desert Storm and the Buy American thing (i.e., be patriotic and buy a bunch of sh!t) .  Their stuff was "American."   

But I am still waiting for a reaction to my Wesley Crusher reference in the Sunrail thread...

5 hours ago, codypet said:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-2030-orlando-magic-20161130-story.html

Alex Martins:

"I certainly believe by 2030 we will have won at least one championship," Martins said. "And I say 'at least.' I firmly believe we're going to get there and once you get there, you got the kind of team that hopefully can come back.

"I believe we will have won a championship."

Lol what is he supposed to say, "no I do not believe we will be successful at all for the next 15 plus years"?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

Lol what is he supposed to say, "no I do not believe we will be successful at all for the next 15 plus years"?

I lost confidence in them several times since Shaq was here.  We've hashed it out over and over on this thread...but the straw that broke the camel's back was the firing of Van Jeremy b/c DH thought they should fire him (before he himself left for Houston).  And that is Alex Martins' fault, so I don't place any clout in anything he has to say about NBA or team matters.  But if the Devos clan is happy with him, then, who am I to say otherwise?

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

I lost confidence in them several times since Shaq was here.  We've hashed it out over and over on this thread...but the straw that broke the camel's back was the firing of Van Jeremy b/c DH thought they should fire him (before he himself left for Houston).  And that is Alex Martins' fault, so I don't place any clout in anything he has to say about NBA or team matters.  But if the Devos clan is happy with him, then, who am I to say otherwise?

Wasn't that Vander Weide's fault? He was the CEO at the time.