Orlando Magic Entertainment Complex [Proposed]

Dale

The new mission will be at the former Parkwood Inn at 3300 W. Colonial Drive. They're renovating it. The good thing is that this building is considerably bigger than the previous one, so it will have 80 more beds than the previous one. In the end, the move worked out for both the mission and the Magic.

Edited by orange87
  • Like 1

...time to troll...

So, One Daytona opened up a cinema, Bass Pro, PF Changs, Guitar Center, a burger place, a 100 rm hotel, 2 story garage,and are about to open another chain, and have built out the remaining buildings to house future tenants, and hotel #2, at 150rms, is halfway complete.

Uh...yep, we've still got a parking lot across from Amway.  I bet you CCP tops off before this breaks ground.  I already won the bet about Modera topping off.  Keep it on black...let it ride.  Oh, wait, are we talking about the Magic...better use the color red instead.

Yes, my friends, but my comment was more so about the Magic’s expertise in getting into the real estate business; they simply do not have their act together; ISC does.  And, the hotels at One Daytona are competing with A1A hotels on non event days.  The office component here is not competing with Disney;  only the hotel might, for room nights and small meetings.  That’s not why the Magic are getting blown away by comparison to One Daytona; it’s because they don’t have their act together and don’t have the $$$.  In their defense, ISC owns between 12 and 20 tracks.  But still, ISC already spent half a billion on redoing the stadium.  They got some incentives and $$$ like the Dolphins did (and Citrus Bowl), but not that much.  I’m sorry, but the Magic are a joke organization that extorts the City and County for a new stadium, pisses away a good product, chases out the Orlando Preds, and has the audacity to expect fans to still attend games while periodically feeding the OBJ update tidbits on this “entertainment project,” which, BTW, was proposed before One Daytona was.  If I was an investor, I wouldn’t partner with them on this endeavor; I’d rather invest in Artegon Marketplace.

• 3 weeks later...

According to the Orlando Sentinel, the new homeless shelter isn't expected to be completed until April. So that may explain the delay on construction of the Orlando Magic Entertainment Complex. I'd imagine we'll hear something new this spring and maybe construction could start before the end of the year.

Edited by orange87

1 hour ago, orange87 said:

According to the Orlando Sentinel, the new homeless shelter isn't expected to be completed until April. So that may explain the delay on construction of the Orlando Magic Entertainment Complex. I'd imagine we'll hear something new this spring and maybe construction could start before the end of the year.

The delay for the complex is the Orlando Magic themselves.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, orange87 said:

Really? How do you expect them to build when there's an occupied homeless shelter on the lot where they're planning to build?

Because they drag their feet.
But they went back to the city and basically scaled down the project from what I understand.
Seems like they just weren't sure what to build or were being over ambitious for what they could handle.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Because they drag their feet.
But they went back to the city and basically scaled down the project from what I understand.
Seems like they just weren't sure what to build or were being over ambitious for what they could handle.

I think an occupied homeless shelter being right  where they're supposed to build seems like a more plausible explanation of why construction hasn't started yet instead of the vague "they're dragging their feet." I also seem to remember reading that the Orlando Magic actually donated money to pay for the shelter to move too. Why would they do all that if they weren't serious?

Edited by orange87

2 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I think an occupied homeless shelter being right  where they're supposed to build seems like a more plausible explanation of why construction hasn't started yet instead of the vague "they're dragging their feet" (whatever that means). I think (not 100% positive) that the Orlando Magic actually donated money to pay for the shelter to move too. Why would they do all that if they weren't serious?

They are serious. It'll be built. But I disagree. They decided to build an open parking lot instead of starting on the first phase that won't affect the Homless shelter side (Or at least it shouldn't). I believe they are holding themselves up....or in nicer words taking their time to make more concrete decisions (if they haven't already)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, orange87 said:

I think an occupied homeless shelter being right  where they're supposed to build seems like a more plausible explanation of why construction hasn't started yet instead of the vague "they're dragging their feet." I also seem to remember reading that the Orlando Magic actually donated money to pay for the shelter to move too. Why would they do all that if they weren't serious?

I have to agree with IamFloridaBorn on this one.  See my prior posts.  The Magic organization is incompetent.  They are not winners.  Success as a basketball franchise starts at the top.  So, lack of success is spilling over to the real estate front.  And branching out into retail thus far is a complete disaster.  See OneDaytona as a comparison, b/c ISC branched out into real estate and has hit the ground running with that entertainment complex.  They also purchased an adjoining plaza (Volusia Pointe) and are gutting and assimilating it (Borg) into the main complex as we speak.  They are operating with the speed and efficiency of Disney and Universal.

The homeless shelter delay is a pretext.  Nobody hold their breath on this one.   OPD is long gone.  They could’ve built the hotel already.  The Phase I office building was designed without alotting for the homeless shelter.  They screwed up when they demo’ed the parking structure and chased out all of their tenants (much like Festival Bay/ Artegon did- see a pattern?).  They are a joke.   The 408 interchange will be done before there’s meaningful movement on this.  And the CSP will top off as well.

Do I want them to fail?  No, but it is inevitable.  They don’t have the right real estate partners, or, the in-house real estate people are incompetent.  For all we know, they may be trying to get tourist tax dollars for this behind the scenes

• Like 2

You guys talk like all this Magic related stuff should be easy as pie to anyone with a modicum of business acumen.

If it were as easy as is being implied by some here, to build a championship NBA team, the NBA would be full of nothing but championship teams. If it were as easy as is being implied by some here, to build a major downtown entertainment complex, every city in the country would have one. Maybe two, even!!!

None of us know what is going on behind closed doors in the Magic front office, so why bother driving yourselves nuts predicting and speculating? 

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

You guys talk like all this Magic related stuff should be easy as pie to anyone with a modicum of business acumen.

If it were as easy as is being implied by some here, to build a championship NBA team, the NBA would be full of nothing but championship teams. If it were as easy as is being implied by some here, to build a major downtown entertainment complex, every city in the country would have one. Maybe two, even!!!

None of us know what is going on behind closed doors in the Magic front office, so why bother driving yourselves nuts predicting and speculating? 

This is why.  What AndyPok1 said.  And, you know, I’ll start with the OBJ.  Always pimping projects like I mentioned in another post.  It’s their job, I know.  But The Magic rub me wrong for all of the personnel mismanagement they’ve done over the past 25 years.  From the Shaq deal, to saying no to Rodman, to signing well known head cases, to renewing that bench warmer’s contract (Grant Hill) which killed the salary cap issue for years on end, the the Dwight issue with VanGundy and Jameer and for blowing the LA series.  Horrible decisions were made.  The Magic are like a nutless monkey.  Pathetic.  They don’t get a pass and they shouldn’t be given a pass by anyone.

As for downtown entertainment districts in other cities, there are a ton:  Jax, Tampa, Miami, and not just from recently, rather, since the 1980’s.  LA, SF, Denver, Chicago (can I mention Chicago?), NYC, Boston, ATL, San Antonio, etc...

Anyway, Buddy wanted a convention class hotel as part of the project.  I hope he (we) get(s) it.  What I think is going on here is that Lincoln is a great company and they just twisted the knife in the Magic’s back ala office vacancy rate speculation with CSP.   As for hotels, Marriott is back, which doesn’t help matters either.  So, if those are major factors, I get it; it’s the market.  I bet the Magic didn’t think Tremont would ever get that project off the ground when they demoed the garage.  That’s on them for being ill-informed and not knowing the market.  But, if they did know the market, then like I said, maybe they were counting on some public money with this.  Why not?  They already did it once with the Amway Center.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I know it's very hard to build a championship team, heck look what's going on with the Cavs right now. Just, it's hard being a fan after all the decisions the prior GM made. Trading away Dipo who is now an All-Star, what did we get in return T-Ross when it's all said and done... Mario is having a great year, but is likely to walk this year, partially not this FO's fault. Payton traded for a 2nd round pick (I know we wouldn't of gotten more) but we traded away a top 10 pick for him. I can go on, but just explaining why the fans are a bit disgusted to say the least. Anyhow, I'm not sure about ticket sales. From what I heard, some games are selling out? I would think we would need to return to the playoffs for them to make the push to build out the complex. Similar to when the new stadium was constructed during the Dwight era. Just my 2 cents. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

yet they've done nothing.

Well they've done something... they tore down a perfectly fine parking garage with first floor retail and replaced it with a surface lot. Honestly I don't think people would be complaining so much if they just waited to kick everyone out and demo it until they were ready to actually do something.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

TBH, I think the DeVos clan has pretty much bungled the franchise since they've had it. The comparison for us, of course, is Orlando City. Since upgrading to MLS, I'm not sure our soccer team has had any more success than the Magic (such are likely the vicissitudes of playing in a smaller market), but they just seem to operate more professionally (at least from the outside).

My problem with the Magic is much more fundamental. We, as a community, have given Rich DeVos and company millions of taxpayer dollars, not to mention actual dollars spent on admissions and concessions at the arena.

In return, while he may represent the values of Western Michigan, in no way does he represent the values of diversity and inclusion that Buddy Dyer and even Teresa Jacobs and Bill Sublette insist Orlando stand for.

Rich DeVos spent more to prevent marriage equality in Florida than anyone else (the infamous Amendment 2 - this despite the fact he doesn't live in Florida); his minion, Pat Williams, was loud and proud in attempting to prevent passage of Orlando's anti-discrimination ordinance; his daughter-in-law Betsy DeVos has, as Secretary of Education sought to eviscerate public schools and protections for student loan holders.

Certainly, anyone in our country is welcome to hold whatever views he or she likes. But one of the primary reasons we have been encouraged to invest public money in sports teams like the Magic is that they instill unity and reflect us a community. Rich DeVos has done just the opposite.

As a result, so long as he is the owner, I strongly prefer to support my (albeit struggling) UCF Knights, who are much more representative of my hometown.

Accordingly, any entertainment complex the Magic may build is tainted and of no interest to me. I'd rather have the parking garage.

I think the fact that the team has generated millions if not billions in tax revenue for the region over the years and has been successful as a team is more important than the owner not being enough of a social justice warrior.

Edited by orange87
  • Like 1